Posts by al_m473

352 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
al_m473 says

notice that in your example above this time that the code is not ended with a ”*/” but you are showing only a /, this is not valid

if this is not the problem, reduce the child theme style.css to its bare minimum, the theme name and template statements, plus the import line.

Al

p.s. tried adding the code example but it is not displayed correctly, so I dropped it

352 posts
al_m473 says

in your child’s theme name in the child’s style.css, make sure you do not just reuse the original theme name, but use something like “meganews child”. from what I see, you are using meganews for the child theme name and for the parent theme as well. the folder containing the child theme would be called “meganews-child”

Al

352 posts
al_m473 says

I remember one author on here using the same footer info on two different themes/templates. I don’t believe these 2 things are still for sale but the one sure looked familiar to me when I saw it. And sure enough, when you looked, exact same code, one theme to the next.

Al

352 posts
al_m473 says

whenever I go to web design tuts, net tuts, or wp tuts, the screen appears, then disappears for a second or two replaced with a blank white screen and then eventually the web page appears again. is this normal or am I having a problem?? this only happens with these 3 web sites that I know of in the Envato network. it does not happen with themeforest. I am using XP with latest Chrome browser.

Al

352 posts
al_m473 says

the curling club web site I set up and maintain has a large number of IE8 users, so for me to buy a theme, it would need to work with IE8.

it really does not have anything to do with what your likes or dislikes are as the guy who looks after the site, I go by what my users use. yes, you may lose some more advanced functionality but you can design a site that works with browsers your users use. this is not a design site, it is a club site so putting something up on the site that some of my users cannot use serves no purpose to me or them.

for example, I am still using an old laptop with XP/IE8, FF and Chrome on it. css-tricks.com is a site that I like to go and read but that site does not support IE8 and that is not a big deal to me because I just read it using Chrome anyway. I guess I could subject my users to the same condition but rightly or wrongly, I don’t want to do that, I want all my users to be able to access the content easily and the way they want to.

Al

352 posts
al_m473 says

why don’t you go to wordpress.com and create your own web site to play around with and learn about what wordpress.com can do and what it cannot do. it’s free so no cost to you. you will soon learn what the restrictions of this choice are and then you can decide what to do about it.

thousands of people use wordpress.com so it suits the needs of many people, perhaps it will for you too, at least temporarily. then when you have learned how to play around with wordpress, you can buy your own site and hosting to accommodate your own wordpress site. your decision.

you cannot use the themes for sale on TF on wordpress.com, you do need to have your own site to do that but use wordpress.com to learn and then jump into buying themes and putting them up on your own site. of course, as mentioned before, there are themes for sale on wordpress.com that are usable on wordpress.com only.

have fun

Al

352 posts
al_m473 says

I am looking for a sports club theme or site template, pages that might be included would be the membership info page, the calendar of events page, a contact page. the front page would show a short list of upcoming events and other news about the club and its activities. any suggestions of material to look at?

Al

352 posts
al_m473 says

I guess as long as I own this laptop, I will be stuck with IE8 when I use IE. use Chrome a lot, FF not so much, so to a certain extent, it does not matter. if I want to go to a site that doesn’t like IE8, I use Chrome to view it, if I decide to keep visiting it.

eventually it boils down to what your users use, not what you want them to use, and the experience you want them to have when they come to your web site. if they come to your site with IE8 and you don’t accommodate them, then that may be your loss. I, as a user, may decide to use whatever browser I wish for whatever reason, and I am not really sure I should be obligated to change that for usually a poor reason, so in the end, it boils down to me as a user coming to your site using the browser of my choice and finding out whether you can accommodate me or not, if not, you give me another reason not to come back and see you again.

Al

352 posts
al_m473 says

sitepoint shows an article on browser usage every month, not sure about the stats from w3schools.com, it only reflects users going to that site. to a certain extent, it is not what the world uses but what your users use that counts. satisfy them and you should be golden, provide support for their browsers. if your site is not a development or web tech site, then your users may be more normal users than from a tech site.

352 posts
al_m473 says

example of a one-page launch pad theme from wordpress.org

http://themeshaper.com/wordpress-domain-parking-theme/

Al

by
by
by
by
by