Posts by al_m473

353 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
al_m473 says

if you are an online user who has no interest in web design or not very technical, then I would think that there would be a very good chance that you will be using some version of IE. in my case, I have XP and IE8 is the highest level of IE I can use, along with Chrome and FF. I have 2 different computers I use and one won’t install IE8 so I use IE7 , and take my lumps. if your site does not display well and I am interested enough in it, I will open it using FF or Chrome, I don’t like the inconvenience of this but again if the content is worth looking at, I will do this. if not, I will just bypass your site. to me, the question is what users are you trying to address with your web site? and what browsers are they likely to be using? personal preferences don’t matter.

Al

353 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
al_m473 says

I have not updated because the computer I use here is an old laptop, 1.4 Ghz, 1 GB memory, 120 GB drive, works for what I want to do with it so I leave it at that. My previous laptop, I spilled water on it this summer and that really did it in. quite the process in getting everything moved over to this computer, thankfully the HD was OK. Not sure if it can be repaired or not, hard to get parts. That’s the problem with these things, they still work fine but when there is a problem with them and there will be, if it is more than a few years old, then it is considered to be obsoletete and eligible for just throwing it away.

XP is still quite a popular o/s, the computers we refurbish for schools here in Ontario, Canada (I volunteer there) all have XP loaded on them for the schools and that probably won’t change any time soon. it was just a couple of years ago, we stopped putting Windows 2000 on them. things move slow in the real world, not enough money to give everyone the latest and greatest s/w and hardware.

Al

353 posts
al_m473 says

use XP here, highest level of IE possible is IE8 . use FF and Chrome some of the time, did notice that Safari was a large user database on one of the sites I have, more than FF or Chrome, so i think it depends on your audience.

doubt that I will ever be able to update past IE8 , and as long as it works OK on most web sites, I won’t really care.

if you don’t provide support for my IE level, then I will probably not come to your web site again if you want to reject me as a viewer by not giving me a reasonable experience regardless of the browser I use. I won’t always switch to FF or Chrome to see your web site unless your content is really desirable but please don’t make it too big a hassle for me regardless of my browser..

Al

353 posts
al_m473 says

to all those in the US, Happy Thanksgiving!

here in Canada, we celebrate on the second Monday in October, usually the weather is better as well, than in late November.

Al

353 posts
al_m473 says

as far as I understand, you can change anything you like in the theme, but you cannot claim that the theme is your design in any way, shape or form.

Al

353 posts
al_m473 says

set up a second menu in Menus and call it from the non-Home pages

Al

353 posts
al_m473 says

I believe Chris had an article on css-tricks about a full background. check that out,

Al

353 posts
al_m473 says

I was checking out the rest of the site, not just that page

have not seen anyone else use screenr for debugging, but in some cases it would be quite helpful

Al

353 posts
al_m473 says

don’t know what to make of paradigm-hq.com. it is not up to date and, yes, it looks the Paradigm template has been used, but there is no Twitter feed in the code, it has not been updated for months and makes you wonder if it is just a sample site or a site for a real business, or is it Mike McAlister’s demo site? the blog page is sure convoluted and everythings links back to the page you are on.

as a site, it sure does not sell me on the services of Paradigm. I think that the template looks good but not extraordinary to me. it is a pretty standard layout.

Al

353 posts
al_m473 says

in answer to the original question, just do it. as llong as you do not claim that these themes are your own creation, then you should have no problem, all you are doing is offering your clients a service that installs a web site for them, using a commodity like a theme.

if this is not what this marketplace is about then I don’t understand what it is about. I can only assume that someone who sells hundreds of themes, this is precisely what happens to their wares, otherwise why so many sales? in that you as a buyer do not know who else has used the theme wherever, then again go ahead and do what you are planning to do. as long as you buy one theme per usage and don’t claim these themes as your own, then I don’t thnk Envato or any author can complain about your practices.

if I am wrong, I would sure appreciate enlightenment.

Al

by
by
by
by
by
by