@Doru, I know you’re intentions are noble, so are mine, that’s why I went ahead and put this on the table to be discussed. As mentioned on page 2 of this discussion, this thead has no reason to be locked, if you feel a thread has been locked abusevely, either contact support, or post it here, and I say again, if needed, I will gladly explain the reasons!
@Alex there is no reason not to have faith in the comunity and as you noticed, your letter was read, as you yourself posted it on the second thread Collis posted. As for the reason that thread was locked, either for the fact that the relevancy changed due to the new post Collis made, or by the fact that it was heating up fast! Plus, there was a post there pointing to the new thread, and I’m sure there would’ve been members who would have debated the new thread Collis made on the open letter, which, would’ve been questions uncentralized. So, you have more or less 3 reasons to lock it down! There is no reason to lose faith in Envato, Envato is a one of a kind marketplace from a lot of standpoints and the forums can be called out as one of them. The rules of the forum were made using trial and error, and these in my humbe opinion should be respected just for that reason! We’ve had or share of scenarios on the forums and I’m sure staff drafted the rules based on those scenarios or possible outcomes from threads that heat up or are no longer ( or half ) relevant!
@Doru getting back to the subject at hand! Sorry for the late reply!
- I understand your point on a marketplace bug, and yes, we thank the user for reporting it and usually lock that thread, or wait for a dev to pick up on it then lock it! It all depends on the severity of the bug or if staff/devs are already aware of this issue! As for the second list you’ve made of the threads that have been locked. Collis announced that the mandatory support is temporarily on hold due to more data being required and he also stated that anything is on the table. What does that mean? It may mean that the whole project will be scrapped, it may mean that several KEY features of the mandatory support will be completely rethought and remade to make authors more comfortable. Either way, those threads may indeed be relevant, or they may not be and you’ll just get members angry, revolted, about a thing that may not even happen at all or can be changed entirely. That thread indeed can be debated, but at what point since the certainty of it’s purpose is unclear? Understand our logic behind locking it?
- I see no reason to close this thread whatsover, if anyone else disagrees with me, they will state their reason and so be it, but until that moment, please, post all the examples you see that might be wrong ( except threads locked for severe reasons ), and drop me a message through my profile and flag it for staff reply too! We’ll gladly get it out the way if necessary or possible!
- Same as the above here as well
We do let people express their opinion, but at the same time we try to keep the “flame” from starting, and on certain heated threads that point of boiling is relative, so, as a human being with experience around the forums, I or anyone else who locks it does so based on their experience. You also have to look over old locked threads, threads in which I know we both have participated, that started out as a easy conversation and ended up in flames with everyone contradicting everyone! Each of us has an opinion and a way to react to that opinion, if fire breaks loose, we try to steer the conversation to logical terms, but when that fails, we have no choice but to lock the thread since the whole point of the thread has been lost in the fire that follows!
I say this again, there are many examples, I’m not going to post links to resurrect the dead, and I know for a fact Doru, you’ve seen some yourself!
Thanks for your reply. We did not buy it, our webmaster did it, in the beginning, when starting everything, (purchasing domain, hosting, installing wordpress, theme and plugins) he did it for us. I can ask him if there’s any reference number for the purchase or something like that if you need it?
We initially tried to find help in wordpress.org forum but they sent us here, is this the right place?Pablo
Pablo, either your webamster is the developer of the theme Pirenko mentioned, or he purchased it from here, in either case, to recieve support for this item you MUST post from the account you (or your webmaster) purchased the theme! Support will not be given for any item unless the post is made from that account.
Kill them with kindness
+ 1You will always have some difficult people to deal with. When you do try extending the response time, always being polite, eventually they will probably start to dealing with the problem on there own.
biggest mistake one can do.
kindness is a very important commodity, give it to who deserves.use the envato official support center. is why they exist.
I actually agree with Doru on this one. If you get the kind of buyer that tries to blackmail you or is simply agressive, contacting support and providing as much details as possible about the incident is the best solution. Not only will his rating be removed if it’s unjust, but you will save yourself a lot of sanity along the way.
@candeed no more than 10 mods, and remember, staff are around as well, they help us more than you can imagine!
@ElegantPianoMusic, thank you, glad to have helped, I guess?
@OhKube, it is logic right? Not everyone agreed apparently!
@phpbits good one, we won’t lock it, there is no reason to lock it, we’re trying to get the message out that that’s not our point and locks only happen for valid reasons!
@joiaco thanks for understanding and sharing our point of view!
@CodingJack: thank you for sharing that! Indeed, you are one of the most outspoken guys I’ve seen on the forums and yet you’ve always keep calm and provided logical arguments for any hot headed reply! Thanks mate!
@ Doru, I edited your posts and added numbers , so I can more easily target each reply, I hope you don’t mind, so:
- The mother thread is there to keep things centralized and help staff reply and debate specifics of that subject. Please keep in mind that you can deviate from the subject if it’s not by a long shot. If your post is helping the main thread evolve in the right way then please go right ahead!
- I’ve already made my point on this but I will gladly make it again, let’s say someone says their account has been disabled after making a paypal purchase. How can you help beside saying contact support? When a staff member steps in, he offers information to resolve the issue in the fastest and most elegant way possible I’ve seen many threads where “staff had the last word” and it was for a good cause. New members that don’t know their way around the forums will more likely be inclined to listen to everyone’s suggestion, especially when it comes to products and money, so when staff decide to lock such a topic, it’s most certainly for a good reason!
- This is a sensitive specific case, where a user can have a problem with a certain support member that did not resolve their issue as they would have expected, threads like these lead to discussion that are not suitable to the forums. Let me be more precise. If an account gets disabled for example for disputes with a payment gate, these kinds of discussions can go on endlessly around the tail without any kind of solution that will only lead to more frustration to the buyer, and at the end of the day, may lead to guidelines being breached. I’m sure Doru, that for a member of your age on the forums, you can understand why threads like these get disabled. Usually, someone that opens a thread like this already went through support, received a final answer, and are not satisfied with that result regardless of the fact that the TOS says this or not! It’s not censorship, but if the rules say don’t hit your head on the wall, you hit your head on the wall, you go to a doctor and then go shouting at the place where the sign is “why did the wall allow me to hit it in the first place?”
- Will most gladly reply, and if needed, you can hit the staff reply and we can get staff to give you even more examples but I honestly believe that what I stated above will cover everything.
Doru, when I opened this thread, I wasn’t pointing my finger at you. You say your posts have gone misinterpreted and I believe you think this thread is something against you. I can assure you that is not the case. I merely wanted to get the truth out, as I see more and more people fail to understand why we lock or disable threads, why we edit out contents and so on.
@VF, yeah, the spam bot asked me if you want to purchase some potency pills, I directed them to your profile! LOL! Just kidding mate, as I’m sure you were too! , on the other side, we should rename you to MemeFlower!
@Urbanzon, as much as I enjoy these kinds of jokes, please take this thread seriously!
@Anps, if a buyer attacks you via mail, as I’m sure you know it is against the rules, please open a support ticket and give that information there and the proper actions will be taken. I understand though, what you’re trying to say, but what I can tell you is this, the reviewer checks your file, if it meets the quality demands of the markets, the reviewer is not responsible if someone who doesn’t know how to use your file comments on that item. For hurtful comments that are without a solid foundation, you can contact support and measures will be taken. An instant example. I purchase a car, drive it in a tree because I have no drivers license, should I sue the technical inspection team because I have no drivers license? I’m going to strong this out, so please listen Extortion, blackmail is STRICTLY prohibited, and users who do this MUST be reported to support! You are not a slave, and no one is asking you to be one! !
@contrastblack, thanks mate, much appreciated, and a big +1
@australia, of course new threads will occur and some will ignore what we actually try to do, this is a post written to who wants to read it and understand it! Authors and buyers who have an open mind and love Envato but have doubts about forum policies have a thread where these doubts can be squashed!
It makes me happy that you understand and see things or what the truly are, but some don’t bother to see past their own eyes and believe we (moderators) are here to censor everything and dictate word for word what happens to the forums!
I’ve opened this thread just for that reason, to make sure as many community members as possible understand that “Hey, we locked that, because it has no further use ” or “Hey, staff know how the marketplaces run behind the scenes, so their answer is final because we don’t really know what happens there and we may mislead people with our reply”
Thanks for keeping an open mind! Much appreciated!
Locked because the problem is resolved (while it isn’t) THIS, dear moderators and staff, feels like censorship and it feels like you use your forum-powers to have the last word in a debate, while many others would like to have another go or explain WHY the answer of the staff is not sufficient.
Creative, these cases are exceptional, and are usually related to private matters between staff and the member at hand, and are discussed through the support system. If this ever happens, and you feel an answer is due, the forum is equipped with a Request Staff Reply button. If you click that, the staff will be notified about that post. If that doesn’t work, please do contact support!
We don’t use our forum powers to have the last word. Sometimes it’s the OP’s ego that wants the last word, but the guidelines say something else. An instant example, if a thread is about a copyright related file, and you still want to explain how that user should punished and sent to the darkest corners of the world, we will lock it, and prevent that happening!
We must anticipate outcomes of threads based on our experience with the community! If you feel we censor a thread, notify support, and that thread will instantly be unlocked if you are right!
Some threads say the same things in different words. So locking them is usually the best solution to keep them from going out of hand!
Hi, I didn’t read all your points, only the headlines. But what is missing is the following reason which I think is the real problem and why most of the people are talking about censorship.
This makes me sad, because if you would’ve read the entire thread, what I just explained above, can be found between the lines of my initial post.
I personally can understand how many authors can feel that this is censorship, though I don’t want to accuse you that this is really what is happening. However, I think this one reason why threads get locked (staff has replied, no need to talk more), has been used sooooo often in the past, that it is very strange this does not occur in your list.
Yes, agreed! Sometimes this is true! I have absolutely no idea how the payment system works on this marketplace, do you? an instant example of “When staff reply no need to talk more” ... some things are known just by the staff, and often times replies from members can mislead the person who requested help.