I’m recreating this thread as we’re getting closer and closer to the date of the Chicago meetup and I’d love to hear all of your final thoughts as well as get some final attendance numbers because we’re closer to the date and I’m in the final stages of organising something cool for the community.
Please vote in our new poll to let us know if you can or cannot come. (We’ve created a new poll as we understand peoples opinions and/or commitments may have changed in the mean time since the original thread was created).
Based on previous numbers we’re opting for something low-key but hopefully reasonably quiet and easy to arrange.
- Collis Ta’eed and Cyan Ta’eed among many other key Envato staff will be in attendance, so this is your chance to chat with us and voice your opinions! Or just to hang out!
- We’re not 100% sure on what the best option to do is at this stage, so I’d love for you to let us know in this thread what you think would be fun and work well. Especially if you live in the Chicago area! (I wanted to have a BBQ , but maybe that’s too Aussie :P)
I’ll update you guys when we have more info!
Not trying to fight here… because this is by far one of the stupidest arguments over a word I’ve ever had on a message board… but I’m an adult, I was having a conversation with another adult… a friendly one at that… and your moderator steps in and changed my conversation… the very words your company used in a headline in one of it’s own blog posts… Your moderator did not respectively “send me an email”... he washed my mouth out with soap and then with his locking powers, told me to shut up… and this happens on a regular basis around here… and there’s been many other threads, by many other community members… asking for these things to stop…
Unfortunately, you start your official reply off with how we have to respect your Moderators (who don’t respect us as breathing, thinking, social adults…) and how all this is going to stop right now, again like we’re children…I was taught that respect is earned and not given… you can have your little circle of thoughts and ideals on how things should operate and protect it how you wish, or you can listen to your community… and if this is your official reply… I’ll just stay away from the forums all together… too many good ideas to help improve your company are lost among these forums, which is frustrating enough as an Author… and now we can’t even have conversations amongst ourselves without your staff changing them or cutting them off… sad really, and though you may think otherwise… it’s not the best way to build a community… IMO
I’m sorry that you feel that way, and I would be sincerely disappointed if we lost you around here. Really we (staff) are just here to do the best we can for the community as a whole (trust me – it’s the truth) and that is the basis for all of the decisions we make with regards to rules and moderation – but I’m not saying we’re perfect and mistakes can and will happen occasionally. Additionally, as I stated in my original post, we’re doing a review of the rules based a lot on community feedback and more importantly we’re looking at making these rules more transparent for all users of the forums.
Again luckykind, I’d be sorry to see you go and I invite you to please contact me directly to share your concerns in more detail with me. You guys make our community what it is and WE DO respect that, as do I.
Okie – just my thoughts on this as Community Manager.
- Moderators are here to keep the forums a welcoming environment FOR ALL . However, I must ask that this personal disrespect towards the people that spend day in day out maintaining these forums (Moderators) stops, right here and right now. This rule is not unique to Envato – please respect Moderator decisions. Some people take take offence to certain words (believe me, I know because I see all of the comment complaints.) So we moderate them within reason. If you feel that something has been moderated unfairly – I ask that you please contact me directly via my profile page and I will unbiasedly look at the situation.
- More often than not, threads get locked because discussions get super heated and personal (as in flaming begins to occur) and our rules are in place to make sure that this doesn’t happen. The thread which was mentioned previously got locked because of that reason.
- I’d like to make it clear there are no quotas or anything even remotely similar for our moderation team.
- Keep in mind your forum presence can be a part of your personal branding. If you’re an author perhaps the image you want to portray on the forums to your buyers is something you should consider.
As cheesy as it sounds guys, we just want as many people here to get along as possible and these are the basis of all of our rules, we don’t want to alienate buyers from asking questions, we don’t want authors to feel their voice isn’t heard – we just don’t – simple as that. If a word gets removed from your post or if anything happens at all that you disagree with or you feel is unjustified I’m asking again that you please contact me directly about your concerns and don’t take it personally or likewise, make it personal.
All of that said, I tend to agree that locking threads should be a last resort, I also tend to agree that you guys should be able to discuss almost anything you want (excluding bullying and other obviously inappropriate behaviour) without fear of retribution and we’ll be overhauling the forum rules in the coming months to reflect these changes and to make our policies and procedures more transparent.
In the meantime (and forever really) I sincerely request that you respect ALL of our hard working moderators and if you feel that something is off please contact me directly.
I really feel that these forums are and continue to be a great place for experienced creatives to get together and share their thoughts, questions & concerns with other like minded people. I really feel a positive environment is more conducive to general happiness around here and really when it comes down to it expanding our community – which as a flow on effects everything (including author earnings). It’s been said before that our community is what makes us special. Let’s keep it that way!
I am Community Manager to try and help improve this place for you guys! So get in touch with me directly if you have any questions or concerns.
Loved it guys! Great job on the podcast this time, a lot better than episode 2. According to me anyways
Can’t wait for the next episodeOoh! Contgratulations to, Guitarstate! Amazing tune!
Thanks! I think we improved too! And yes guitarsstate tune was da bomb! XD
Next step is to record in a room where my voice isn’t muffled. Also sorry Drew for saying you weren’t wearing headphones. I know you’re smarter than that, except that you believed we milked kangaroos for their delicious milk to make chocolate.
On iTunes, I only see 2 Envato Podcasts. Hasn’t the third one been uploaded yet?
The third one is there, but iTunes takes a little bit (max 24 hours) to update their indexes. If you subscribe and manually update (or check for new episodes) you should be able to get the new episode
I’m using an external mic – the Blue Snowball – exact same as the one Drew uses! It definitely sounds a bit muffled though and I think it either has something to do with the room I’m recording in or maybe Drew isn’t using headphones when we’re recording? I dunno. Is that why you ask?
Yeah it is. It’s a great microphone too, I use it for recording aswell. It’s not too much of a problem really as we can still hear what you’re saying, just as you said it’s a bit muffled.
I know! It’s totally getting to me! Next episode I’ll try recording in a different room and see if that makes a difference. Aim for episode 4 is to remove the muffle!
P.S. @Ivor LOLOLOLOL