• Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

Guys I have a question…I have been approached by a non-profit to help them design, what could grow to be, similar to myspace with a different goal.

This isnt a flash question, but since I am not a member to any webdesign forums I figured I would ask in here first…

If anyone could shed some light on how I would approach this, I would really appreciate it. Im a intermediate web designer. But my sites focus more on the design rather than the code, and I dont know exactly where to start on something like this but I dont want to turn them away. Its for a really good cause. I looked into joomla, and some other CMS systems, but they are quite hard to customize to make it look like you need, besides some templates you can buy you need to pretty much code all the CSS yourself if you want a custom site.

Plus I may, in the near future have some need for some freelance flash guys…could be major work…

~Doze

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

I think your ugly :)

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

Collis, I think the main thing to focus on would be to allow the browse files section to be sorted by, rank, popularity, downloads, date, author. And also focus on featured files/authors.

Having all of the high rated files, or most downloaded files up top could help produce sales for some of the older, yet still great files. It may make it hard for smaller new files to be sold because people will sort of be filtering that stuff to the back, but it will, like said before, force people to up the ante.

Also since you guys have tags on all of the items, maybe a search cloud could help. Where users can pick the cloud link near the search box and a page would come up with the most popular searches in the cloud and the font is sized based on how popular the search it. Again this is a small change but could help people find their files faster. Sometimes I want to look for something but I cant think of a search that would produce that file other than pretty much typing it in directly.

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

um I got two sales, when normally I get 0-1! So I guess thats at least a 50% increase…

Goooood Stuff!

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

Ya I think your good with the link sola, if my site was live I would absolutely have a link in my sig!

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

I dont think sola did anything bad…I have never been to a forum, that didnt allow signatures, and inside those signatures are usually links to peoples pages…links to their files on deviant art, links to products they might be selling. It may be self promotion but its very normal to be in the sig of the forum post and I’m cool with it.

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

Not sure, are you a registered author.

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

chanks

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

Wes,

Are there tutorials for it yet? How are you learning to use it? Do you have any links?

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

I noticed you are taking advantage of the custom chrome and the transparency. Hows that working out? Does it noticeably affect performance?

by
by
by
by
by
by