Posts by PixelBin

1479 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
PixelBin says

I would work on the paragraph spacing. The lines seem a bit cramped.

Also, I would take a look at the “white space” in some of your DIVs. It takes away from the look of the theme.

Other than that, it looks nice. :)

+6 more
PixelBin says

I use it. :)

Personally, I think it looks even uglier when the border shows that the button is actually bigger than I make the user think.

+6 more
PixelBin says

I use most of what was already mentioned. FireBug and WebDeveloper are amazing.

+6 more
PixelBin says
Using compatibility modus in IE8 you should be able to look at a site as if you were using IE7 (or pressing F12 and changing the browser modus)

In the IE Blog they posted some “Differences between IE8 Compatibility View and IE7 ” for those who want to migrate.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2009/03/12/site-compatibility-and-ie8.aspx

IE7 isn’t as big of a problem as IE6 though. Not only can IE6 not be run by Windows Vista/Windows 7, but 3rd party cross-browsers don’t work properly either (at least in Windows 7, which works flawlessly by the way—great improvement from Vista).

For the most part, IE7 displays the same as FF3 , Safari, etc. with some very small bug fixes.

Good contribution sir!

+6 more
PixelBin says
One caveat is that it won’t let you actually interact with each browser – for that I use the FF3 Xenocode plugin – it crashes with a high frequency if you leave it open, but it works fine to test out whether or not a particular jQuery function will play well with IE6 or any other browser.

http://www.xenocode.com/Browsers/

Hope that helps – great topic :)

Wow! THANK YOU ! This is perfect! Looks like it works so far, and it’s fast to use!

Thank you so much! Now I can finally finish my theme I’ve been working on for 3 weeks… :)

+6 more
PixelBin says

@G_Gilmore – I think I came off a little strong. By all means, I worship this place. This is the perfect place for a designer like me and I wished I would have found out about earlier, but honestly, how can you say we, as designers, are whining when you haven’t uploaded anything?

Please don’t take this as an offense, I’m just trying to provide some backbone for my point of view.

+6 more
PixelBin says

Completely agreed, brother. I submitted 2 themes so far (I’ll admit, they weren’t the best, but definitely a bit better than some on here) and got the exact same stock answer for both themes with some points that didn’t even apply to my themes! It shows how careless the reviewer was, that he didn’t even the will to write a brief but accurate explanation of why my theme was rejected.

On the other hand, I have submitted a text style to Graphic River, and got an absolutely perfect reply about why it was rejected. It was brief, but to the point which actually made me want to fix what was suggested.

This shows that some reviewers could not care less about what’s submitted, they just reject everything whenever they feel like it with no explanation (yet they only review several items a day… uhm?) while others actually take the time to provide constructive criticism.

Also, what’s considered “good aesthetics”? There are plenty of themes on TF that are basically made ALL in CSS , with maybe one image for a logo and terrible typography.

Which brings me to my final point, different designs (PSD vs HTML vs Wordpress) get different reviewers (I’m not sure on this, feel free to correct me.), with some being more lenient than others.

That’s all I have to say, thanks,

Phoenix Zero :)

+6 more
PixelBin says

Yes, that was a shocker to me also. Although it displays it horribly (possibly because it displays it that way normally). My websites look horrendous on IE6 and below.

Edit: Nevermind, IE7 works beautifully now. IE6 is still the only one that doesn’t work, it just crashes it instantly.

+6 more
PixelBin says

Actually, I also have Windows XP installed on this PC but as you can imagine, it can be a real burden to switch after every change, and that means I will need to install the same software twice (and in this case, Adobe CS4 package), it’s pretty hefty and will take up a bit of space and memory. Besides, I was thinking of getting rid of XP.

+6 more
PixelBin says

I installed IE Tester prior to posting this and had some trouble with it on Windows 7. IE 5 .5 and IE8 (currently installed standalone too) worked fine, but IE7 didn’t seem to display anything at all. As soon as I typed in a URL , it cleared the address bar. And IE6 simply crashed the program altogether.

Multiple IE’s doesn’t even start. I get an error when running IE6 .

I have a feeling your next replies will suggest to get rid of W7, but I really don’t want to because it’s actually usable now (unlike Vista…).

Any help here?

by
by
by
by
by
by