A few questions: Are the “recommendation engine” changes in place yet? If so, since when? If not, when will they be implemented?
Today I purchased a VideoHive item and looks like the recommendations work properly.
- Displayed 10 items within the same category as purchased item (that’s good)
- Most of them are related to downloaded item.
PS: The only drawback with this approach is, there is no clue about how to rate the item. May be a line of words about this should help new buyers.
All kind of approaches fit different situations. A wise author picks the approach that doesn’t damage both the parties for a given situation.
- The “Be so kind” approaches sometimes trigger more anger than peace because of the feel of being artificial and robotic. If there is no way to convince buyer objectively, then don’t try using sweet words!
- The “Report everything to Envato” approach will create unnecessary chain reaction of hatred.
- The “Extend your response time” will work most cases. Up to the author’s conscience.
- The “Don’t reply for their tone” is the only advice that applies to any situation.
This thread deserves the title: Open letter to Envato Community!
Also deserves this meme:
In such case, even updated date will also mislead. For example 4 years old item can be updated today while 2 months old item may not get updated.
Even if both the dates hidden, buyers can find the age of item by seeing the time stamp of 1st comment. So better display the date!
No questions but food for thought:
An author has low/regularly selling item uploaded 3 or 4 years back. Stopped responding the comment section for 2 years. But updates the item regularly to support new devices, script versions etc. Still the item makes sales here and there. Buyers aware they can’t expect answer from author – as they see no replies on comment section.
Now, if the author doesn’t want to agree the new policy as of December, what exactly the author should do to obey the spirit of selling?
1. Remove the item, so that there won’t be new purchases with the expectation of mandatory support.
2. At the same time, keep the item downloadable for old buyers so that they can download any time and also get updates.
The above example of item support may sound like rare case but if we look closely, that’s what the current trend here.
^ That’s not blue X but – there is just a blue square masked with the letter X.