this post is mainly for Envato devs, but feel free to suggest any improvements too. We have been selling on ThemeForest for about 3 months now. I believe it is long enough to become familiar with everyday author’s life on ThemeForest. We have some tips and improvements we would like to share with you:
- Post Report Button This is not new to you. I heard people complaining about it several times. Report button on posts is very similar and too close to Reply button. People are mistakenly reporting posts instead of replying to them. It is annoying, especially when you flag post with bug report, confusing and your staff is wasting time on this.
- Buyer Rating At this point Buyer Rating has no value. It is way too general and you have only overall rating. It would be great to see at least how are people rating (250 buyers gave 5 starts, 120 buyers gave 4 starts etc.) or let buyers rate each item more in depth but keep it simple at items page (overall rating consists of code rating, design rating, support rating etc and this would give overall rating). This would give authors more details about their work, so we can make better themes.
- Review process I believe the review process can be more transparent. Many times we get only very general reactions or automated response from which is very hard to figure out what to do with theme. On the other hand I must say big thanks to Siddharth who at least provide some screenshots what he has in mind. I fully understand why you do not want to allow authors to talk directly with your review team, but it seems to be necessary. Simple reply option to item rejection email would be enough or give us more details. More complex Wiki page about quality standard, documentation requirements and coding standard would do job as well. It is very frustrating and your team waste time on reviewing the same template over and over agian.
- Pricing It would be nice to know how are items priced. Especially on ThemeForest there is a lot of items which are well designed, well coded and selling good but the price is lower than some really crappy themes. Yes, sorry Envato, but there is a lot themes that do not work, are bugged or do not provide promised compatibility.
- All withdrawal email notifications are sent from activeden.net domain.
- List of compatible browsers is very outdated. Firefox 5 is missing (Firefox 6 Beta already out) and Chrome is version 12 (version 5 in list).
ThemeForest is a great project and I believe this could make it even better. Hope this tips come helpful. Looking forward to any feedback.