4691 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Achieved the monthly Community Superstar Award
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+3 more
charlie4282
says

Could you install it on the client’s domain and just mask it with a maintenance plugin or page while you edit it – then there is no migration involved (which by the way is a bit of a grey area under licensing).

4691 posts
+3 more
charlie4282
says

although I do not host demos like you guys do here we use MediaTemple for a VPN and (even now it’s part of GoDaddy!) they are really good.

I also have access to a substantial WPEngine setup for an outside project we work on away form here which is equally solid.

Obviously best advice will come from established authors here. Hope you find something good

4691 posts
+3 more
charlie4282
says

The elements you have are not bad the issue is the design of it.

It feels a little freeium and quite outdated.

the logo could be better

the boxed blue icons don’t help the feel of it

there are some inconsistencies in margins and spacing e.g. core features – the iMac and the text should line up losing the big space under the text.

Many sections could do with breathing more e.g. feat. projects are v close to the blue title bar

Slider typography is not great

You have the core and the functionality it just needs to be delivered in a more modern and defined way

4691 posts
+3 more
charlie4282
says

Ah right ok – I’m following that discussion already.

Personally I liked the old way but I have been fortunate enough to get to know both authors and envato themselves over the past few years and I am aware that they do not make these changes without sound thought process.

At the same time I appreciate this one has been met with some (valuable but mixed) feedback and it will be interesting to see where it goes.

4691 posts
+3 more
charlie4282
says

@Bedros – I think that v few authors have straight 5 star ratings like you which must help!

Email is an even harder one – there is less in relation to say a WP theme BUT there is just as much if not more that can go wrong e.g. The Outlook Nemesis or new Gmail updates!

Personally I like your linking to support forums etc and think this tactic would work well for more authors – that said in the likes of the big WP themes it would need to be a little more discreet or would take over the page somewhat.

Also even though from a UX perspective this is a good tactic there will always be buyers who expect 24/7 in comment solutions to even complex remarks.

I am confident that within the new support changes that are in the pipeline and the new forums etc. that this process will get easier.

By ‘Screenshots’ you mean when buyers post screen grabs of what they see and their issue?

4691 posts
+3 more
charlie4282
says

Any feedback from precious customers / buyers / members would be much appreciated – We need your thoughts to make this place better. ;) :)

While I have fed back on this numerous times and people are probably bored of our comments! ;-)

Personally: We almost always go with authors who e know and have used their stuff successfully before

Here’s our interpretation…

Experienced buyers:

They are less likely to buy regularly unless they use themes for work and therefore have A) a better understanding of design and development (you would hope!) or B ) know the marketplace, files and what to look out for.

They will more likely be 70% with a project in mind and search out the theme that will help save the most time and provide the closest solution possible. 30% of the time they will buy impulsively because of a recognized author or simply a cool file.

Comments will still matter but more in terms of response from authors rather than the issues raised necessarily as they will be able to see past newbie issues being raised

They will be impressed with variation, and features but more in a functional quality sense over a quantity level.

They are more likely to be influenced by functional and unique design than anything e.g. a chance to produce potentially client work with ease that stands out and does not look ‘generic templatey’.

NON experienced buyers:

These are tougher to market to.

They are like a kid in a toy shop – they will be excited and daunted at the same time and be attracted to big salesy messaging and influenced by cosmetic basics due to a lack of experience and subsequent knowledge of what to look for.

They will be driven by the ‘million files in one’ or ‘1000 demos and plugins’ because human nature says go for the ‘best offer’ even if eventually they only end up using the first demo with some different text!

They will be influenced more by comments and author response due to nerves at first time buying and a potential inability to spot unnecessary complaints (no fault of their own).

They will be attracted to multiple and flashy designs even if in truth the translation of these to what they need is impossible.

What all this means for authors marketing their products

Bottom line is you can’t please everyone.

In an ideal world files will demonstrate demos and features that meet their category weather it is niche or multi purpose.

There is nothing worse than multipurpose that just piles on options and demos that are not really any different except a few pictures and a home page layout.

Transparency and compassion from authors is a must to be successful. Of course some buyers will wind you up but that is just the way any marketplace will be.

The easiest way to spot an inexperience AUTHOR is one who comes here for quick win sales rather than committing to the longer-term success.

Even amongst the big selling multi purpose files we see the real success stories have built themselves up over time constantly evolving and building credibility & relations with customers.

4691 posts
+3 more
charlie4282
says

It will help but needs to be implemented correctly and even then coming soon pages are becoming so advanced now that to compete you will still need more in terms of features and structure

4691 posts
+3 more
charlie4282
says

Definitely reconsider the font choices

You seem to have evenly spaced all elements where the title should stand out and be on its own then the counters could be closer to the days, hours etc so it appears ‘connected’

Those social buttons look too big on our screen plus it may just be me but they don’t look inline with the rest of the page http://postimg.org/image/gk9kgsy71/

Alt: http://postimg.org/image/m8k9zl3jj/ lined up and spaced differently (2 min mock up so excuse weak quality)

4691 posts
+3 more
charlie4282
says

with respect you have basics that need fixing in alignment, spacing, typography etc.

Generally the design feels a bit freeium, basic and outdated. It lacks any thing that makes it really stand out from the crowd here.

You can’t use Google, Microsift, Visa etc. logos

Check out the attention to detail and fine tuning in files already for sale here

Good luck

4691 posts
+3 more
charlie4282
says

With all due respect is still a way off:

- That background feels strange on different devices as content moves out of the ‘frame’

The bigger issues are:

- Fundamentals in design basics incl. typography, spacing and hierarchy all need attention

- You need a whole lot more to the file. If you look at this category with already approved files you will see they have multiple sections and well thought out designs to make them unique and ‘premium’ feeling

by
by
by
by
by
by