4428 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Achieved the monthly Community Superstar Award
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+3 more
charlie4282
says

As an experienced buyer I would always prefer one-click imports if possible, (this said we have done it 1000s of times), and even then there are one or two authors who’s themes we use a lot who seem to make the XML import route pretty seemless even when there is a lot going on.

We generally avoid the multi-purpose giant themes but I can only image that importing these must be very hard using either route.

Regretfully the level of experience spans across not just this stage of using new themes – many people who have asked us to help them on here added a new theme not realizing that their previous content does not automatically fit and function in the new setup, layouts , post types etc.

I know of at least one theme here which has the issue of removing previous content using that method (Although I did think there was a way of avoiding it). Maybe @Jonathan, someone with your level expertise in your research could find a way that prevents this and it could be made a part of the WP guidelines here?

4428 posts
+3 more
charlie4282
says

I’m going to lock this thread because I do not think it is suitable for the forums.

If you have product related queries please use the item support http://khositeweb.com/support-center/

If you want to comment or discuss the review process in more detail please email support.

Thanks

4428 posts
+3 more
charlie4282
says

You would need to contact the author of that theme to do this

4428 posts
+3 more
charlie4282
says

Some really nice bits but feels incomplete and disconnected.

Latest events and album are really cool

the big white circle on the home page feels empty and the type in it doe snot really scream featured content

That said the ‘get the party’ slide is very very nice – I would say make them all in this style. It looks much more professional and clean

The player below the main slider needs to look super cool and stand right out as it is a key feature

footer could have more too it

social icons too small

latest tweets has too much spacing and the icon/copy is too small for that area

maybe add detail pages for events?

Page title areas are a bit tall/big (add a subtitle and that would make it feel more complete)

Gallery lightbox would look better/alternative gallery layouts e.g. masonry

Multiple layouts for the music page? e.g. featured item at the top then lists of other items/grid layout/individual album detail pages?

there is more but this will keep you busy! I know it looks like a lot but you have an opportunity to stand out in a niche area with this and it needs to have ‘all that it can’ to do this

4428 posts
+3 more
charlie4282
says

Its a good start – the attention to detail and features need work.

Footer could be improved and add elements

The whole thing needs to breath more e.g. the post copy and continue buttons are too close as are the recommended posts below individual post copy, and the padding/margins on post copy/social icons needs increasing

Home page looks the same as category lists and should stand out more (maybe add even more versions e.g. grid, left sidebar etc etc.

Banner widget is narrower than the rest

Typography could be better especially the category description

category widget seems empty and too much grey space

This is a very crowded category generally with some awesome files available, and it has reached a point where every new file really needs to stand out to compete

4428 posts
+3 more
charlie4282
says

I think (and this i not an official answer) that in question 1 a single license is ok as there is a single installation and the admin is ‘yours’ and not being sold independently each time to the client.

For question 2 yes definitely you need a regular license each time.

To be safe I would email support just for clarity.

4428 posts
+3 more
charlie4282
says

It needs to be an update to the original – it won’t be accepted as a new one unless completely different is design and function

4428 posts
+3 more
charlie4282
says

You will also need to get the client to ask for it. The author is unlikely to provide support or files to a non verified purchaser

4428 posts
+3 more
charlie4282
says

It may seem like a stupid comment but why not just buy the file?

The only reason logically you would want to do it separately if if it is for another item to sell here but then that could cause problems if it looks the same as the original styling

4428 posts
+3 more
charlie4282
says

The fonts are ok – the text is just a bit small and due to tight spacing this makes it look more cramped than need be. If you increase padding, line heights or alternatively the font size either should make it look cleaner and easier to read

I get that when users sign up their profile would appear but for ‘demo purposes’ it always looks good to have a little variation.

Like with the linking of pages (there is enough of the pages they just need to sync) it is all about helping buyers (and reviewers) visualise the end product when complete. The closer and easier you can make it to the final outcome the better.

I also understand the concept you have here and that it is less like a generic theme and therefore does not require all the standard pages, features etc but it comes down to the same (sometime frustratingly) thing which is that the more there is (quality over quantity though) and the more ‘polished’ the design etc. the better

by
by
by
by
by
by