Sorry for the long silent, I don’t visit ThemeForest anymore now – I moved to another job. I don’t feel like fixing the extension right know (too much work), but the full source code is available on Github, so if anyone is up to cope with my crappy code and update it, feel free to do so
I will push the pull requests to the actual extension, or I can even transfer the extension administration on Play to any author here that would like to maintain it.
Again, sorry for the long silence, and good luck with the sales!
@matsteiner and @WPExplorer Thanks!
I get error in script.js i guess fail to get item name because i remove the template from marketplace. This cause only right top circle chart to not work.Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined script.js:3843
I just pushed another update with a fix for this, can you test it and tell me if if works now?
You may force the update, by going to chrome://extensions/, enabling developer mode by ticking the box on top right, and clicking the Update now button. The new version is 1.2.1.
Hope it works now!
Just to add that the automatic update did not happen in Chrome, I had to remove the old version and then install the new one manually!
You are welcome! Actually, the automatic update can take some time. If you want to force the update, go to chrome://extensions/, enable developer mode by ticking the box on top right, and click the Update now button.
I just pushed an update, it seems to work fine for me now. Let me know if you notice any issue!
Note that this new version also include a fix for the sales reversal issue, I now have the same exact values in Envastats as on my ThemeForest dashboard. Please report any issue regarding this too!
Wow, I did not notice that before… Well, they removed the statements archive list, so I will have to rethink the whole archive part, but I guess it is possible I found a data-earliest-date attribute, thus I can iterate through each month to download the statements until now.
I will let you know once it is ready!
Hi all! Sorry for not answering more often, I really have a lot of work going on.
If the extension doesn’t work anymore, you may do the following:
- try to rebuild the database using the icon on the bottom right corner
- try removing and installing the extension again
- try clearing the local data used by the extension
If none of these work, can you tell me which version of the extension is installed? To find out, go in the menu Tools / Extensions you should see 1.0.12.
Also, open the developer panel of your browser (using F12 for Chrome, for instance), and check the console panel: the extension logs everything it does here, so you should see what is the blocking error. Please let me know and I will do my best to help
@dtbaker thanks anyway!
I just uploaded a new minor version of the extension which should fix the url issue. Wait for the extension to upgrade (new version is 1.0.12), and refresh the page. If you database is messed up, rebuild it using the settings panel at the bottom right of the dashboard.
For new users, install the extension from Google Webstore, it will automatically update.
Let me know if it you still have issues!