3319 posts
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
  • Nominated Community Superstar of the month
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+18 more
dtbaker Moderator says

Yer, travelling time can be a killer.

From Sydney you could probably do the casual 2 day (or pushing it overnight) drive south to Melbourne. There’s a zoo and some attractions/parks/cafes in the city. Lovely city (except some parts at night). South of Melb driving down on the mornington perninsula can be a great day trip / overnight trip. West of Melb is the famous great ocean road. You could probably go see it as a day trip from melbourne. Cold/unpredictable weather some parts of the year.

From Sydney you could probably also do the casual 2 day (or pushing it overnight) drive north to the Gold Coast (beaches, versace, theme parks). If you do the Gold Coast theme park/beach thing you can also drive 2 hours further north through Brisbane to Australia Zoo ( steve irwins place – crocodiles etc.. ). Usually nice warm weather.

Keep in mind that what you drive in the short 2 days can be easily done in 6 months with a caravan – there is just so much to see and do if you have the time!

A flight north to Cairns should be a consideration. Heading up to the lovely palm cove with a unit on the beach and booking a boat/snorkel tour out around the reef. Catching the train up the mountain to the rainforest and the skyrail back down (kuranda). Pretty much always hot.

If you come in whale season jump out on a boat anywhere they offer it (if it’s good weather). Most places generally guarantee a sighting during the season. Can be really good or just a few splashes on the horizon depending on what mood they’re in.

If you get offered roo meat or crocodile meat, give it a whirl. It’s great!

Hope you enjoy your visit ! Use http://maps.google.com.au for directions and to see how long it takes to drive between places.

Watch out for snakes and those crazy kids riding kangaroos down the street all day.

3319 posts
+18 more
dtbaker Moderator says

weird numerical sequence for an upgrade… 1.7 to 1.10 …

usualy 1.7 = 1.70

so 1.7>1.10

yerp but not with software. it would be incredibly hard to time / number each software releases to eventually land on an even number for the next major version. so it’s easier to just go 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, 1.10, 1.11, 1.12, 2.0 (wp does this too)

3319 posts
+18 more
dtbaker Moderator says

Well one of the problems is that the referral doesn’t always work. I’ve tested it out myself,

I do not think testing it yourself is wise If you have visited one of the Envato Marketplaces before and then click a referral link, it doesn’t count I’m sure they use more than just cookies to track this (eg: ip address vs referral url vs time) in order to stop people increasing their own referral count

also a lot of data on the marketplace is cached – so results may take a while to appear.

3319 posts
+18 more
dtbaker Moderator says

Anyone had success getting back a domain name after it was lost? (ie: registered with an old email address, it expired without customer knowing, some automated process bought it up and is advertising on that domain name now)

It’s a .com.au domain name, and I think the customer has a case under 4.3b of http://www.auda.org.au/policies/auda-2008-10/ (ie: the customers business was in existence at the time of registration).

I’ve just shot a request off to auda to look into it. Anyone had experience with this or similar? I’m trying to calm the customer down :P phone hasn’t stopped ringing lol

3319 posts
+18 more
dtbaker Moderator says

how to get an elite badge?

basically: sell lots! http://elite.envato.com/

3319 posts
+18 more
dtbaker Moderator says

1.10>1.7

3319 posts
+18 more
dtbaker Moderator says

Getting closer …

3319 posts
+18 more
dtbaker Moderator says

Hello,

I would like to sell an item here on the marketplace, but I would also like to “rent” the item as a hosted service (hosted and supported by me) separate to the marketplace.

The item sold here will be provided as-is with limited free support. The user will have to download the item, install it on their own server, etc.. which is fine for a lot of users.

The subscription service will be hosted by me and handled through paypal recurring payments. All separate to the marketplace. The user can just pay for my item and away they go, no need to install anything or even have a hosting account. Priority email support will be provided as well.

The item description here on the marketplace will advertise the hosted service. The website will also advertise the “once off” purchase option available at codecanyon. So a win win for both.

Now for the (always fun) topic of exclusivity: If the subscription service had a few extra features (eg: easy white labeling / pdf generation of certain items / multi-lingual support) would this be classed as the “same” item, or a different item?

My vote is with non-exclusivity (so I would open a second account for this) just curious what others think, as it could probably be argued both ways.

Cheers!
Dave

3319 posts
+18 more
dtbaker Moderator says

I guess over time they’ll start asking authors for postal addresses for mugs etc..?

ooo.. I’m going to have to work out some deal with Hayley.. maybe whoever sold the most items the previous day gets to use the mug. lol

3319 posts
+18 more
dtbaker Moderator says

What if you get to the $10mil mark and you already live in Melbourne? Do you get put up in a swanky apartment in the city for the week, instead of the first-class airline ticket? :P

fully.

just charter your own 747 to LA for a week, then get a first class ticket back to melb :P

i wonder if they serve bubbly on a short first class flight from qld.

by
by
by
by
by
by