• Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
+8 more
jonathan01
says

It’s been there for a couple weeks I think

Yup there was a thread several weeks ago almost identical to this – it’s because authors requested a better way for buyers to learn how to do things and it was suggested by many that some tuts were put on TF – the decision I guess was to add this to the menu a few weeks back. Try searching the forums and you will find it.

2694 posts Bird is the word..
+8 more
jonathan01
says

I see this as being more visual styles than justifying a theme itself. People sometimes like to setup sites for each holiday that serve the needs of that holiday. One site might have a magazine style and have articles for recipes and decorations for Halloween, or Thanksgiving. While someone may setup a wishlist type site for Christmas. Everyone’s needs differ, so making 1 theme that would handle all these holidays wouldn’t be very practical. Maybe if there were a category for add-ons, or maybe just a tab on the item pages for seeing add-ons for the theme, then authors would have incentive to create visual styles for their themes to sell. This would cause a lot of authors to create holiday styles for their themes.

Yup – dead on with this comment – basically would be awesome to be able to create and sell child themes for our premium main themes – then this could be an alternative revenue source and strengthen sales of our main themes possibly.

+8 more
jonathan01
says

Right but did you check it’s the same item – ie they sell HTML on TF but sell WP on their own site – and many look like they sell on their site but when you click to purchase it just brings you to TF item page.

+8 more
jonathan01
says

I wish Adobe kicks Apple in the a**. That’s my wish. :D

Wish that Adobe would stop crying like a b^&ch and start to move forward with the web rather than trying to drag it back 10 years and introduce new software solutions to easily use the many varied and interesting technologies that represent the future :)

+8 more
jonathan01
says

Crozer basically hit the nail on the head his comment. And you are already part of the “process” if you sell on TF and allow extended license – that’s a LOT more than 3x

It is not the same ‘process’.. I don’t recall getting large payment upfront when I first submitted our theme. The concept of paying a low price for 1 copy, or a high price for many copies is fine. Although I do believe the extended license is way too expensive. Not sure about others, but we’ve yet to receive an extended license purchase.

Maybe I should explain it to you…

Develop for client: Get paid full after completing project
Develop to re-sell: Get paid more money, but spread over time

It’s completely balanced this way. It doesn’t make sense to get paid what you’d earn over time if you were re-selling in 1 payment after completing the theme. That’s what charging 3x would be. Sure you could do that, but I can’t imagine getting any clients agreeing to this.

Thanks but I don’t need this explaining to me – you have your way of doing business – other people have other ways – ask anyone doing photographic work about licensing :)

Really this thread was started as a question for replies from all people – resulting in “explaining” to me is rather insulting – thanks but no thanks.

+8 more
jonathan01
says

Haha, charge on the amount of work. If you charge on the account of what the client will do with it then i guess when we go in a store to buy bread we should be charged more if we’re gonna eat it with meat and less if we’re gonna eat it with peanut butter.

No because you are not earning from the bread you are eating it..

+8 more
jonathan01
says

Hey Kailoon – I have always been told since I started my career to sell rights of anything should be x3 of usual dev price – hope that helps Therefore if you charge $3000 for a custom WP theme for full resell rights should be $3000×3 = $9000
But what would be the benefit for the client in this case? Unless the client is one of the top few theme providers around, I doubt they’ll make that money back. It would be a pointless investment for them, and I’m sure they could find other quality developers to do it for a lot cheaper than $9,000.
Please note I didn’t say he would charge $3000 – I used it as an example :)

I can’t imagine it would be a whole lot less. Maybe $2,000? in which case it would be $6k for them. Yet again, still unreasonably expensive.

I don’t see any right to charge for re-distribution. Some people may charge more for giving full rights in the contract, but I don’t believe it constitutes charging 3x of whatever your quote is. It should be purely based on how much work is required.

And you have your thought process which may be different than mine but it’s pretty much the same for themes, templates, applications etc etc – it’s not about the work you put in that needs to be considered for a full rights to resell / distribute and giving up all rights – it usually also means a NDA , can’t put in your portfolio and it’s actually based on the money they will earn from the item you provide – the world basically runs this way in business when it comes to most things.

I’m not saying it’s set in stone – it’s a guideline and each person can charge what they want – it’s just the same as asking why one designer may charge $65 p/hr compared to another charging $150… depends on many things.

Crozer basically hit the nail on the head his comment. And you are already part of the “process” if you sell on TF and allow extended license – that’s a LOT more than 3x

+8 more
jonathan01
says

Hey Kailoon – I have always been told since I started my career to sell rights of anything should be x3 of usual dev price – hope that helps Therefore if you charge $3000 for a custom WP theme for full resell rights should be $3000×3 = $9000
But what would be the benefit for the client in this case? Unless the client is one of the top few theme providers around, I doubt they’ll make that money back. It would be a pointless investment for them, and I’m sure they could find other quality developers to do it for a lot cheaper than $9,000.

Please note I didn’t say he would charge $3000 – I used it as an example :)

+8 more
jonathan01
says

Please name the company – I think I got the same the other day so I reported as spam to google :)

+8 more
jonathan01
says

Well thx for the compliment tonvie :)

I wasn’t trying to push my latest theme at all – I think the problem here – and I’m probably putting myself in the line of fire is that there are a lot of lazy buyers – who want to buy a cheap theme that doesn’t require any work. Images are placeholders, just because it’s an illustration doesn’t mean you should use that, in fact you shouldn’t use the included images at all to be honest otherwise you are selling a client the exact same theme that possibly hundreds already use – customize it some what – change the font (super easy if using font face etc) – change some colors, lay things out differently etc etc

Just because it’s a pre made theme should never mean it’s “good to go” – it’s a major starting point for buyers to launch from, save time, and in turn increase profits.

Just because a theme is presented as a game related theme doesn’t mean with an hour or two work it cannot fit a restaurant, doctor etc – it’s rather like the argument I see on the forums often that complain that every theme has a portfolio – I’ve seen comments such as “I can’t use this theme because it’s for a corporation and obviously they don’t have a portfolio” – need to realize we produce themes to cover as many uses as possible, as diverse as possible and so we include what we feel reaches the masses – doesn’t mean you HAVE to use the portfolio – or indeed use the portfolio for something else such as services – put an image for braces say, then it links to either an article or description page where you would include info about braces for a dental practice etc -

Of course before the guns are loaded to shoot me I am addressing only those buyers who are lazy and expect absolute perfection for their requirements for $35 and those are the people you can never please.

by
by
by
by
by
by