Posts by jremick

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says
I’m planning to wait and see how the PSD category does because on the flip side, if I sell my PSD a couple of times and an author uses that to sell a theme or template here, I could end up seeing that person rack up the sales while my PSD sits because it’s already been used here.

Umm… Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you said there but just to be clear, people can’t purchase a PSD template, code it into an HTML Template or Theme and then resell it here. ...right? If they can… that seems sketchy. That’s not allowed is it?

+12 more
jremick Envato team says

We’re allowed to post an HTML Template then also convert that for WordPress (or another CMS ) and post that as well though right?

+12 more
jremick Envato team says

If we build an HTML Template (or theme) that includes a PSD of it, can we also upload the PSD Template separately?

+12 more
jremick Envato team says
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

Read the license associated with the icons and just make sure commercial distribution is permitted, if it isn’t you can contact the author and ask for permission that way. My experience with contacting most authors with this kind of stuff has been pretty good. Most of them don’t really care how you use them but they just want you to ask and maybe credit them in some way.

+12 more
jremick Envato team says

I’ve been basically using the honor system but I may be looking into a way to better protect the files.

I also have a custom 404 error page on my server that will automatically shoot me an email when people are looking for something that isn’t there on my server. Twice I have gotten several 404 errors from person (not a search engine) that was trying to access quite a few of the images on a theme but spelled a few wrong. It was enough attempts that I blocked their IP address for 48 hours from my server just to be safe.

+12 more
jremick Envato team says

Congrats and good luck!

+12 more
jremick Envato team says

The 5% that don’t have JS either available to them or turned on are not the crowd I want to market to. Plus, they do have JS available to them. They can go upgrade their browser or system like the rest of the world.

What this comes down to is opinion. An author has a choice not to support IE 6 or other browsers if they choose and yet they are still given the opportunity to make money for their work. JS is the same. If they choose not to support degrading JS, that is their choice and they should still have the opportunity to make money for their work.

+12 more
jremick Envato team says

In my opinion degrading JavaScript is an added feature. I compare it to the idea of PHP . If your template requires PHP to function properly then the buyer needs to be aware of that. If your template requires JavaScript to function properly (because it doesn’t include degrading JavaScript) then it’s the buyers responsibility to be aware of that.

These days, everyone has JS so it’s not that big of a deal in my opinion. The internet is a capitalist market. If there are people selling more templates than you and saving extra time by not including degrading JavaScript and buyers aren’t asking for it, don’t attack those authors.

You have to keep in mind too that a lot of the authors here are new to building web templates and are learning as they go. That doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t be allowed to make a profit off a functional template just because their JS doesn’t degrade.

Just my 2 cents.

+12 more
jremick Envato team says

Hey Jeffrey,

I’m with parker on this as well. I emailed you but received no reply. I’m guessing you’ve either been too busy or we were cast aside for someone else, lol. :-)

by
by
by
by
by
by