The first version of GreenPaw has been quite successful so far, so I decided to shelf it and start over. This is just a sneak peak of what you can expect from the next version of GreenPaw:
- thin fonts
- push notifications – not just for sales, but for everything – comments, ratings, paws and more
- tons of more statistics
- tons of new features
- horrible iOS 7 style icon
- super mega fast load – for my account it takes less than 3 seconds to load all the data. It used to take about 20 seconds including fetching new comments, 30 seconds if we include the checking for new ratings. Now it all happens 10x faster.
- all-new bugs and more crashes
- just kidding, it should be much less buggy, since everything happens on a server and the app just displays the data
That’s all I have for now. This app can be so much better than it is now (and it’s pretty awesome right now). Make sure you stay up to date, winter is coming.
^ Really nice avatar!!! What version of photoshop?
If you are serious about your business, both hands for media temple, or if you know a little bit of linux – linode.com.
I knew nothing about linux, but linode’s documentation is the most amazing thing ever. Installing linux is one click thing, and in 10 minutes you setup your security and install a web server stack – php, apache, mysql and phpmyadmin if you want to. The good thing about linode or VPS hosting in general, is that I can setup a billion domains or subdomains on my server if I wanted to, run background scripts and pretty much do whatever the hell I want to do with my server $20/month, worth every cent.
First of all, let me say you did a really good job here. I read the whole thread and honestly I never thought providing push notifications would have been such a pain, but it looks like no-one here is considering that there is already at least one app from another author (Tabvn) that does it pretty good (5-15 mins delay). Now I really wonder how he’s doin it…don’t you?
I would absolutely love to know how he does it!
I think you are trying to do it the wrong way.
1. There is a limit of around 100 calls/hour/user (unless envato grants you some kind of special permission), you must find a way to call it from the user side, if that’s not possible, you will definitely get a permission.
2. Assuming that you are getting a permission, there is absolutely no need to make the API calls every 5 minutes, that means that an author with decent sale will have his phone vibrating and ring each 5 minutes which is not the main purpose in my opinion. For example my Application calls every 30 minutes, which is a decent time to check for new sales.
3. Regarding the comments notifications, you simply have to compare the last-time stamp (or unique id) between the requests, you could simply check them once every hour, because while on the-go you just need to get notified from time to time, not a phone that rings like hell.
4. Ratings. You could check once per day for rating changes, why would you check for rating changes each 5 minute? For me it doesn’t make sense.
Also quoting:So that’s 500 API calls every 5 minutes (for 100 users)
Sorry but that’s 100 API calls every 5 minutes, not 500 calls – that being said, your stats is actually 1/5 from what you wrote if you’ve calculated with 500.
Secondly, using my suggestion you will get the following: Check for new sales every 30 minutes: 200 calls vs 1200 (not 6000 as you said).
You must think for large-scale usage, otherwise Envato’s API will get flooded with useless queries.I hope this helps.
It does help, yes!
Btw, doing it on the user end is impossible if the app isn’t running. And if the app is running, you don’t need push notifications
Also I noticed that this limit is bound to an API key. For example I can make 100 calls with one API key, then 100 more with another and so on.
nickys saidYou can’t say I haven’t told you. This kind of application will never sell, even if it would have been free (that was one of the reason I have released mine for free, besides showing some love for the Envato community ). Btw, what are the requirements for a server to send push notifications for 100 users for example? (both server and costs).
Let’s talk about money and let’s be honest. For the last two months that the app has been out it has made me no more than $100, which is not really that terrible once months start adding up…
Seems like the market was a lot smaller than I thought
On your other question – I need a server which will run a background process (or script, not sure how it’s called) and from what I read Linode are the best, which is $20/month. After that there is bandwidth. If I have 100 users, that means I have to make API calls to Envato at least every 5 minutes for each user. Anything longer than 5 minutes makes push notifications a bit pointless in my opinion.
So that’s 500 API calls every 5 minutes, or 6000 every hour, or 144,000 per day, or 4,320,000 per month.
These are the API calls that I need to make just for the sales tab. There are also comments and rating changes, and this is where it gets interesting.
To look for rating changes, I have to make API calls for each product, for each user. If a user has 10 products on average, that would be about 43 million API calls per month for the ratings.
Comments: this is where it gets really ridiculous There is no API for comments, so I have to fetch the entire RSS feed, for each product, for each user. I think the max size of the feed is 100 comments, so you can imagine what kind of bandwidth this will consume if I do it every 5 minutes.
I can of course make push notifications just for sales, but that would make people furious in my opinion I hope I answered your question in detail.
EDIT: I’m not sure how Envato would like 50 million API calls per month to their servers, but that’s a whole other story.
I have some news for all current and future users of GreenPaw!
1. Update is coming to fix crashes, optimize the Comments tab and fine-tune the Marketplace Statistics!
I want to thank everyone who has provided feedback, it has been very helpful. I have also been using the app for quite some time and I noticed that it has some problems indeed. However, I’m graduating university right now and all my time goes to my final assignment. I have to ask everyone for some patience. My commitment to make this the best app for authors is still there!
2. Push Notifications
This has been totally the number one feature request. Something to clarify here – in the app description it used to say that the app will “notify” you for sales, comments, etc., which people interpreted as “push notifications”. I understand that it was misleading, which was not what I intended to do, so I corrected the description.
Let’s talk about money and let’s be honest. For the last two months that the app has been out it has made me no more than $100, which is not really that terrible once months start adding up. However, adding push notifications introduces a monthly bill for a server, that I will have to pay each month, which will kill the small amount of money that the app makes for me.
Don’t get me wrong here, it’s not ALL about the money, but I don’t want the app to COST me money each month, instead of making money. As fellow authors here in the marketplaces I hope you will understand that. A proof of that are all the other competing apps that used to have push, but don’t have it anymore and I guess why.
I also don’t want to do anything that will make everyone hate me, so I will ask you all, before taking any action. The only way to make push notifications work is by adding an optional monthly in-app subscription for the users that want push, or just want to support my app.
My question to you all is – do you want push notifications for a monthly subscription?
If yes, please suggest a reasonable price that you are willing to pay. I’m saying again – subscriptions is the only way I can make push work, because of it’s monthly cost of running the service. Please don’t hate me, I love you! <3