I’ve got kind of a large file rotation thing going too. I loosely color label my files based on whether they are “very close to complete” all the way to “probably never gonna come together”. If I’m feeling ambitious I’ll dig down into the “not that great, but who knows” files and see what’s in there. Sometimes it’s pleasantly surprising and you have a fresh perspective on how to develop it.
Keep all your old files for sure!
If I’m creating a track for AJ, I usually just start throwing ideas together and don’t worry about any structure until I’m over a minute into it. At that point I decide if the track needs another section or if I can creatively stretch out my material and still keep it interesting.
I definitely just write, write, write and let the music go where it wants before I worry about containing it in a structure.
I just found a discarded and unfinished track deep in my old files and it sounded totally fresh to my ears and took unexpected and forgotten turns that I couldn’t predict. I’m now thinking, “Why the heck didn’t I finish this? I know just what to do.”
I love that.
I’ve spent some time thinking of new ways to evaluate my portfolio beyond comparing totals for monthly sales or weekly sales. These aren’t necessarily deeper ways of viewing the information, just different approaches that give another perspective and may show progress (or lack thereof) in unexpected ways. Feel free to contribute your own. Here are a few of mine:
- Organize your portfolio by sales and take your most popular 10 percent. Figure out what percentage of your total number of sales is represented in that top 10 percent to give you a sense of the balance in your portfolio. What about the top 20 percent?
- Think of a daily sales number you want to achieve and look through your daily earnings (Earnings tab, then click on a month). See how many days that month you achieved or exceeded your goal. Compare that number to other months.
- Pick a daily sales number you were disappointed with. Count how many times in a month you had that number of sales or fewer. Compare that number to other months.
- Do the same system as the daily sales numbers but choose dollar values instead. Find the total number of days in a month you met a goal amount, or the total number of days you missed a goal and compare that to other months.
- Keep a list of your single-day bests for each day of the week and hopefully update it regularly.
- Keep track of when you reach sales and financial milestones throughout the month and note what day of the month those milestones occurred. See if you can reach those milestones sooner each month.
- Compare extended license sales month-to-month.
- If your portfolio goes beyond a single page, organize your portfolio by sales and notice what the sales number is for the item at the bottom of each page. Watch that number rise over time.
- Divide you total monthly sales by your total portfolio items to see what your average sales-per-item ratio is. (The accuracy of this can be tricky if you add many new items each month). Try to improve your average each month.
Anyone else have fresh methods of looking at portfolio data?
Way to go, dude!
It’s when you blow something up really really loud…no wait, that’s dynamite.
I also really like Ozone. I don’t like any of the presets (same as with any mastering plug I’ve tried) but I watched a few Youtube video tutorials and understand now how to get what I want. Now I really like my results.
Welcome and best of luck to you!