• Member of the Envato Team
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
+16 more
scottwills
Envato team
says
@SCOTT, how ist it if we sit in our company behind a proxyserver and lets say 8 people from different PC’s vote ? Would you see that as different votes from one IP ?

Don’t worry, that will be taken into consideration.There’s other criteria I can check for too but I’m not going to discuss it here in case it gives anyone any ideas on how to trick the system. I’m just letting everyone be aware that the results are being closely monitored so please don’t try multiple voting and cheating, this is a fun competition, let’s not try to ruin it for everyone. Besides, how could the “winner” sleep at night knowing they had voted for themselves over and over?! :o The guilt must be terrible… ;)

2987 posts
+16 more
scottwills
Envato team
says
I was just curious. When is the Next Birthday Bundle?

IF there IS going to be one, one might expect it on or around our Birthday. ;)

2987 posts
+16 more
scottwills
Envato team
says
I get it that this method drives more traffic to audiojungle and helps expose our music, but I still kinda think audiojungle members should’ve done the voting. Maybe that will be the case with the next competition… any data on when that’s gonna be…?

Ha ha, that’s the spirit, NiKiN, you haven’t even seen the results of this competition and you’re already planning for the next competition, I love that. :D I can reveal that you won’t have too long to wait, we will have another fantastic competition in May! :)

2987 posts
+16 more
scottwills
Envato team
says

Hey Solar,

Thanks so much for the feedback! :)

I respectfully disagree with your statement that we don’t do a good enough job picking out featured authors and music. If you take a look at the features page you’ll see nothing but high quality audio across all genres. The problem however is that we can only feature one file and one author per week and as we have hundreds and hundreds of authors and only 52 weekly spots per year, we can’t always feature everyone.

To help even more with marketing and promotion of your files, I pick out a featured track each day and share it on Twitter with the 3,500+ people who follow AudioJungle. If you’re not already following us on Twitter, I recommend that you do.

I keep saying time and time again, as much as we help market your files with Twitter and Facebook and our Podcast and our blog and advertising on other sites, it really helps when authors take responsibility also and market/promote their own work. Artists that sell thousands of songs on iTunes, they market their music in as many places as possible. No-one can expect to upload a song to iTunes and sit back and do NO marketing/promotion and expect people to find that music. It just doesn’t work like that unfortunately.

I hope I’ve given enough hints to the AudioJungle community that you can always write to me, either via my profile page, via Twitter or by e-mail (sitemanager@audiojungle.net) if you have recommendations, would like your work featured – I totally encourage that. So if there’s a file in your portfolio you would like promoted or you think you are deserving of the featured author of the week, always feel free to shoot me an e-mail! :) All messages are read and considered but I obviously cannot promise that your work will be featured.

I totally agree with what you are generally saying about record contracts + performing live. This is one of the best ways to get a record contract. But AudioJungle isn’t about record contracts so I think the discussion of performing live is not really relevant to the stock audio industry.

I also respect your views on social networking. I use/like Twitter for example but personally, I don’t particularly use or like Facebook. So it’s definitely a personal choice. But you know what? Sometimes, the people who try hardest and work hard at promotion get what they deserve. And by NOT using social networking sites and techniques, one could be limiting the amount of potential exposure one can get from online marketing. “It’s better to try and fail than not try at all”, if you see what I mean.

If you are still skeptical about Twitter, I can give you a perfect example of how effective Twitter can be: Collis tweeted about an AudioJungle file a few weeks ago and in the space of a week, that $10 file got approximately 50 new sales. That particular author has been on the popular files page now for quite a while as a consequence of that exposure. I’m sure customers have perused that author’s portfolio and purchased subsequent files too.

So while social networking is absolutely a personal choice and no-one is forcing anyone to do it, there are potential benefits and sometimes you “have to be in it, in order to win it.”

2987 posts
+16 more
scottwills
Envato team
says

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback, I understand some of the concerns.

Competitions decided by votes always have a fair amount of uncertainty about them. Anyone remember Sanjaya on American Idol (people kept voting him to stay in the competition even though he was clearly the worst singer) and only last year there was a “Rock the Vote” campaign to get Rage Against the Machine to the top of the UK charts instead of an X-Factor winner. Some people even say political elections are flawed and can be fixed/corrupt, so I totally hear what you are saying.

Music appreciation is also very subjective. So if I picked out a winner personally, there would many people who might agree with the decision, but there would also be many people who would disagree with the decision. So you can never please everyone no matter how the voting system works. As an aside, my personal favorite track in this competition isn’t in the Top 3 voted tracks yet so hey, what do I know?! :D

Public Voting

I wanted this particular competition (a) to be decided by you and the public instead of just one person and (b) to expose all of your music to as many new people as possible. Now if I said, “Don’t tell any of your friends about this competition”, then I would never have a way of controlling that and everyone would ignore me anyway! So why not embrace the fact that finalists can and should be encouraged to use social media to get more votes? How many of the finalists are using Twitter to ask followers to vote for them for example? How many finalists have asked their Facebook friend to vote for them? If you haven’t done that yet, you should! The benefits of encouraging more people to check out your music seem to outweigh a voting system where we restrict it just to an internal audience.

And to anyone who thinks that voting for music becomes a “popularity” vote instead of a vote for the best produced or best quality track, then you are exactly right, BUT , this is indicative of the music industry as a whole! Just because the Black Eyed Peas or Christina Aguilera are at the top of the charts and sell more music than anyone else, does this mean that they are musically superior or more talented than Muse or Radiohead or Metallica? No, not necessarily. Unfortunately, music is more often about popularity rather than technical ability.

The “Perfect” Voting System

I’ve seen some previous competitions on Envato that were reserved just for marketplace members, but even that system can be a little bit flawed: Some people are influenced by what results they see, so for example, if we got marketplace members to place their vote in a forum thread and many people were voting for one particular author, there’s some chance that this would influence the decision of some people by either making them vote the same way or worse still make them think, “Author X is way ahead, there’s no point me voting now.”

There’s no such thing as the “perfect” voting system. The voting system for this competition has been selected for a reason, to serve a purpose, but we will be glad to mix it up and change it next time so it’s not always done the same way. One of our previous competitions was decided randomly for example. The BPM Competition will be decided by the popular vote. Next time, we may do something entirely different. :)

Monitoring Suspicious Voting

There have even been some competitions here based on voting that have had to be restarted half way through because of fraudulent voting, and that was something that I wanted to avoid here. For the record, the online voting system I’m using is very, VERY good at tracking and analyzing suspicious votes from the same IP addresses: So a quick reminder to anyone who has already voted multiple times or is planning on voting multiple times, I know who you are and your votes will be removed. Naughty, naughty, please don’t do that. ;)

Concentrate on the Positives

So let me just say a couple of things of why I decided to use this current voting system and look at things positively:

1) We’re getting a lot of extra traffic to AudioJungle because of the competition. More people we get to AudioJungle, the more we expose your incredible music and help you make potential sales. We’re indirectly marketing your audio through this kind of competition.

2) This is supposed to be fun and an opportunity for you to win some great prizes! :) I’m very fortunate to be the site manager on AudioJungle because I get to see and hear so many outstanding pieces of music and I’m in awe of the quality of compositions and production levels you guys bring to the table each and every day. It really is an honor just to be part of AudioJungle with you guys part of this community. So I was hoping that the excitement of the competition and voting is something that you would embrace and be interested in because no-one will know who will win until the final votes are counted up.

More Competitions on the Way!

There are always going to be more opportunities to enter competitions and win prizes on AudioJungle, so never be too disappointed if you don’t win this time. Just enjoy participating and being part of such an awesome community! This is YOUR community, immerse yourself in it and get as much out of it as you can.

We’re always open to changing the way we choose the winner of our contests. So if you guys would like a future competition to be based on votes just from AudioJungle members or just from other marketplace members, then that’s totally fine, I think it would be great to do that and I would be glad to arrange that for you. :)

A longer response than I had originally planned, but I hope that gives a little bit of insight of the “how” and “why” we do things. :) Now let’s get back to the contest, make your vote count! :D

2987 posts
+16 more
scottwills
Envato team
says
oh and one question. can everyone vote? or voters should have to have an audiojungle/marketplace account?
Everyone can vote :)

Correct. Go tell the world. :)

2987 posts
+16 more
scottwills
Envato team
says

IMPORTANT UPDATE :

It is with regret that I have to announce that an author shortlisted as a Top 10 Finalist has been banned today from AudioJungle for breaking our exclusivity agreement. It’s never good news when that happens, but it’s always done for the right reasons.

I have therefore decided to replace the file that was consequently ineligible for the competition with another track that narrowly missed out on the original Top 10 list:

VisualGroove – Splash

So congratulations, visualgroove, you’re back in the race! :)

2987 posts
+16 more
scottwills
Envato team
says

Time to bump this thread again!

Please see the opening post in this thread if you are interested in giving away one of your audio files for free for an entire month in return for lots of exposure on the AudioJungle and the AJ blog. Who knows, someone downloading your free track of the month might lead to more sales, more exposure, maybe even some exciting and well paid audio projects!

Just a reminder that any audio files already submitted will always be reconsidered each month so no need to resubmit. Looking forward to seeing and hearing more submissions for our consideration, good luck!

2987 posts
+16 more
scottwills
Envato team
says

Hey guys,

As Thinesh said, please report any issues to support (http://audiojungle.net/support). We can’t investigate any issues until a ticket is submitted to report it to us. Many thanks!

2987 posts
+16 more
scottwills
Envato team
says
How do I get the watermarked audio file from the author, Do I have to just contact them?

Once you’ve obtained permission, you can downlod the watermarked preview yourself via the AudioJungle player on the item page: Click the downward facing arrow/icon on the right hand side of the player to download the preview.

by
by
by
by
by
by