Posts by scottwills

2937 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
+17 more
scottwills Envato team says
Sounds awesome! Only wish I had good software to compose on… GarageBand doesn’t really cut it. I’d love an AudioJungle guitar pick!

You’d be amazed what you can do with GarageBand, Jack! Hook-up a MIDI controller, avoid using pre-existing and out-of-the-box loops, you can totally rock-out some awesome, original tracks. It’s all about the producer/composer, not necessarily the software! Just to be absolutely clear, AudioJungle has some extra info on what is/is-not allowed. And one more thing, AudioTuts have started a new series of articles on GarageBand that you might like to follow.

2937 posts
+17 more

Hi Anne,

Great question, I’m glad you’ve brought this up, it’s actually really good feedback.

Making audio available with an extended license is currently optional. We invite authors to opt-in via a click of a button, as Michael pointed out, so that their audio can be purchased under that license.

I think that it’s a short-coming however that we don’t better highlight which tracks or which authors have opted-into the extended license opportunity/agreement. So I’m going to see what I can do to rectify and address this issue, I think you’re absolutely right, it needs to be made more clear.

Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. :)

2937 posts
+17 more

It’s competition time once again on AudioJungle!

The BPM Contest

Outline

We want you to create and upload dance/electronica music with a BPM (tempo) of between 120 – 140 and submit it to AudioJungle. The site manager will make a list of what he considers to be the Top 10 submissions we receive during the competition period. We will then create an online poll where you can vote for your favorite track! So the ultimate winner(s) will be chosen by you!

Prizes

1st Prize

2nd Prize

• $75 Envato Marketplace Site Credit
  • 6 Months Tuts+ Membership
  • Featured File of the Week on AudioJungle home page
  • Etude iPhone Application (US Only)
  • Limited Edition AudioJungle-branded Guitar Pick

3rd Prize

• $25 Envato Marketplace Site Credit
  • 3 Months Tuts+ Membership
  • Featured File of the Week on AudioJungle home page
  • Limited Edition AudioJungle-branded Guitar Pick

Important Dates

• Wednesday March 24th: Competition officially starts!
  • Friday April 9th (12:00 a.m. Central US Time): Submission Deadline! Upload your files to AudioJungle no longer than this date. As long as they are in the queue by this date/time, they will be eligible. You have a little over 2 weeks to get your track submitted!
  • Wednesday April 14th: Site Manager will reveal the Top 10 tracks eligible for the competition and you will be able to vote!
  • Wednesday April 21st (12:00 a.m. Central US Time): Voting closes!
  • Monday April 26th – Winners announced!

Special Thank You to our Kind Prize Sponsors

macProVideo.com

macProVideo.com provides an intuitive web-based video player that streams each tutorial through your browser. One low monthly fee gives you access to the Online Tutorial Library™. The Online Tutorial Library is an amazing resource for musicians and producers alike, covering in-depth tutorials for DAWs/software including Logic Pro, Ableton Live, Cubase, Reason, Pro Tools and much, much more! Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned professional, macProVideo.com has tutorials for you to learn so much more about audio production and the audio software you use.

You can try MacProVideo for 3 days for only $1.

Etude iPhone Application

Etude combines traditional sheet music with an on-screen keyboard whose keys light up to reveal the position of notes. The app also uses its own synthesizer to simultaneously play the piece aloud. It ships with access to an in-app music store that users can download new songs from. The app runs on all models of iPhone and iPod Touch devices running OS version 3.1 or higher. A version for Apple’s upcoming iPad tablet computer is also in the works, with a preview available on the app’s website.

Rules & Regulations

• Your track MUST be uploaded to the Electronica category (or any of its sub-categories)
  • Your track MUST have a BPM between 120 – 140 BPM .
  • You can upload as many tracks as you like.
  • Only tracks approved and accepted into our library during the competition period (March 24 – April 9th) will be eligible.
  • The tracks with the most votes by the end of the competition will win the prizes.
  • If your track is uploaded to AudioJungle but has not been accepted by Friday April 9th, it will still be eligible for the competition should it subsequently get approved.
  • Employees, Staff and Reviewers directly associated with Envato are not eligible to participate.
  • Anyone (not just marketplace members) can vote on the Top 10 tracks, but only one vote per person will be counted.

GOOD LUCK !

2937 posts
+17 more

Hey guys, I just wanted to bounce a couple things off you to get some feedback before making any changes. So all our members (customers and authors) are invited to share their thoughts and needs. :)

Sample Rate v Bitrate

I’ve always felt the Sample Rate field for music uploads could be improved. At the moment, we get all sorts of responses for that field and hardly any consistency. When we ask for Sample Rate we are actually referring to “44.1kHz” or “48kHz” (or 44100Hz, 48000Hz). 128kbps and 160kbps are NOT Sample Rates, they are bitrates, and it’s something entirely different which deals with data transmission speed/rate.

So a couple of goals here I would like to accomplish based on your feedback is, (a) make this consistent, (b) make it quick and easy when you upload your audio, (c) decide on better standards. I would therefore like to propose the following:

Sample Rate Improvements

1. Make it a rule that ALL audio is ALWAYS /ONLY in 44.1kHz. I would say less than 5% of all uploads to AudioJungle is anything other than 44.1kHz. I am also seeing evidence that the majority of our customers are generally not interested in 48kHz audio. I appreciate that some video producers have a need for 48kHz, but unless anyone can give solid reasons why we should continue to accept 48kHz audio, I think we should standardize on 44.1kHz.

For the record, mp3 audio, no matter whether the bitrate is 128kbps, 160kbps, 320kbps etc.. can still have a Sample Rate of 44.1kHz. Again, try not to mix up Sample Rate with bitrate, they’re entirely different.

Bitrate Improvements

2. What if we standardized the bitrate of all mp3 content to 192kbps? Would this cause any problems for anyone (customers or authors)? I like the idea of making it easier for authors to know that they can (and should) bounce tracks at 192kbps for the sake of consistency, and more importantly, customers will always know that everything in mp3 format has an acceptable quality (meaning, 192kbps is audibly better than 128kbps).

Our only rule up until now has been a minimum of 128kbps. 128kbps is acceptable quality, but I think 192kbps would be a higher level of quality for customers and would also prevent such a mix and wide range of bitrates in our library.

Resolution

One more standardization I would like to make is only allow 16-bit submissions. A small minority of authors have occasionally uploaded content in 24-bit format. We’ve allowed this in the past but I am not seeing any demand for 24-bit format audio on AudioJungle. 99.9% of our audience/customers are interested in 16-bit audio. So I would like to standardize resolution and only allow 16-bit audio.

Benefits for Authors

The biggest benefit for authors is consistency and knowing what is expected for submissions. The upload process would also be improved because we would eliminate the sample rate field (we would not need to ask for sample rate if all audio is 44.1kHz), and, if we decide to standardize on bitrate too, authors would not need to spend time adding bitrate values.

Benefits for Customers

Consistency and high quality! :) Our customers already have access to incredible, professionally composed and produced audio in our library, and I think by standardizing Sample Rate, Resolution, and maintaining a 192kbps bitrate for our content, we are ensuring that we are never sacrificing quality.

Benefits for Reviewers / Review Time

This proposal would also be beneficial for our review team. Instead of checking and then editing Sample Rate and Bitrate information, we would only have to quickly check to see if submissions are in the correct format before approving or rejecting. So if we save a little bit of time for the review time it makes me happy because it allows us to speed-up our process a little bit and get through more items in the queue even more quickly.

So before we make any changes, how does this sound to everyone? Are we overlooking anything? Is anyone strongly opposed to any of these proposals? All feedback will be read, so please let us know your thoughts, thanks in advance! :)

2937 posts
+17 more

Envato kindly purchased all the Donate_Palawan files last night to show their support. :)

2937 posts
+17 more
lol, I love cats, check out this slight distraction from coding :D

I couldn’t resist high-fiving your cat. :)

2937 posts
+17 more

Happy Birthday, Jack! Seems like there are a lot of Birthdays for marketplace members in March. Even I had one recently! :D

2937 posts
+17 more

Hi Jonathan! From your description it sounds like you only need the regular license as it pertains to the same project, is that correct? Full details below. :)

http://wiki.envato.com/buying/licenses-buying/audiojungle-regular-and-extended-license-usage-examples/

2937 posts
+17 more

Hey Sixis, Please contact support@envato.com – they can furnish you with a document. :)

2937 posts
+17 more

Good question! Here’s a good place to start – check out the music/audio section:

http://copyright.vassar.edu/askingpermission.html

by
by
by
by
by
by