+1 for imgur – no annoying popups :)

3503 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

I’ve found that a good diplomatic approach is to request that they “kindly contact me via my contact form from the account you used to purchase the product in order to receive support.”

I’ve actually had several instances where the buyer really did purchase from another account and was logged into the wrong one when they posted – or it is a developer working on a project where the client purchased the product. This way you haven’t accused legitimate buyers of stealing while still refusing to support those who haven’t purchased the product. :)

3503 posts
+10 more

They cannot resell the work as their own but they can modify it for their use in any way desired. This is includes the copyright statements and author name information in the CSS files.

So, it goes the same way: whwen people modify the copyright info, they can sell the theme as their own.

Right?

Absolutely not. The author retains all copyright over their design, whether or not the copyright notice is removed or changed. Changing a line of text does not change the owner of the copyright, nor the buyer’s responsibility to abide by the license agreement (i.e. they can’t resell it just because they change the copyright).

Personally, I think the copyright notice on a site is ambiguous anyway. My feeling is that when a buyer puts their own copyright on site they’ve created from a template here, their copyright notice indicates that their content is copyrighted, not that they own the copyright to the design. This distinction is never made, but as long as they’re not breaking the licensing terms (redistributing or using multiple times) I don’t have a problem with it.

Just remember that buyers purchase a license – that’s the right to USE the theme once (in the case of a single license). Intellectual Property rights are never transferred to the buyer. They have the right to change any text in the theme (including copyright) – but that doesn’t actually negate an author’s copyrights in any way.

In the case of the original question (where a user is intentionally modifying the style.css rather than copyright on the site), I agree that it’s shady and I think it’s morally wrong, but legally they have the right. I agree with all of what Siddharth said – even if one claims it as their own, if they do so publicly they’ll be called out on it eventually. Annoying, but not worth worrying about.

3503 posts
+10 more

Congratulations! Well deserved :)

3503 posts
+10 more

No problem. You can contact any author through their profile page’s contact form in the bottom right (click on the author name on the product page to see their profile).

One cool thing about Firebug though is that it allows you to test CSS changes directly in the browser without touching the code – that way you can figure out exactly what you need before you actually change the code. If it messes things up, just reload the page and start again :)

3503 posts
+10 more

Hi mjstrong,

Welcome to the forums. If you’re looking for theme-specific advice, it’s usually best to contact the author directly through their contact form.

You can probably resolve this one by using Firebug ( http://getfirebug.com ) to inspect the target element and determine where the CSS for the margin/padding is located.

Best,

Chris

3503 posts
+10 more

If you implement a quality hook and filter system in your theme users will be able to customize the the theme through a child theme without overriding the template files.

Giving the user customizable areas of the theme (like a custom style sheet) helps too. Basically, if they can keep all of their changes separate from the theme, they’ll be in good shape.

Isn’t the “online tool” you are describing just a diff utility?

You could also use version control (like git) to generate a complete patch/changelog that users could implement in their customized themes.

No system is perfect for this, but I think child themes are the closest you’ll get – and the easiest for users. At the very least, they have to run a diff on fewer files, and many won’t change at all.

3503 posts
+10 more

I agree – I think you just create a list of recommended themes. (Sometimes less it better – giving them too many choices can result in choice paralysis). I suppose you could even create a collection here and just send them a link to that :)

3503 posts
+10 more

Right, they’d have to incorporate it in a larger product, which does not sound like the case here. Say your product is a contact form. The extended license would give the buyer of that license the ability to take the contact form and include it in a website template/theme for resale – because it is included as part of a larger Work. It does not give them the right to take your product, tweak something, and sell it as their own contact form.

To do that they’d need to obtain approval from both you and Envato it seems.

The exception would be if it’s a WordPress plugin. The PHP would be GPL and unfortunately that means, legally, they could take it and do whatever they like with it. Though my understanding is in this case it would not be acceptable for sale on the Envato marketplaces.

3503 posts
+10 more

I think hitting ‘reply’ activates an entirely separate form (and hides the default reply form). So the form isn’t moving, it’s just showing another one which is positioned differently. I assume you can position the reply form to your liking via CSS .

by
by
by
by
by
by