Posts by suncat100

4 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
suncat100 says
Lot’s of very experienced buyers here and if you guys don’t mind I would like to ask a favor.

Eventhough I agree with you guys, I think I can’t apply your thought into my WP themes.

I think I created a lovely theme with my last one : http://unseen.turkhitbox.com/

But it failed to reach good sales number. I think it could serve a good example why a theme wouldn’t sell. (the theme is well coded includes everything you guys said)
turkhitbox, that would be interesting for me to comment … This is my opinion of your theme and presentation of your theme:

First of all, I remember seeing your theme some time ago and thinking it was nice and clean. I might even have added it to my TF bookmarks(favorites). By all means, I think this is a good theme … So let me get to reasons(flaws?) why I think this theme might not be selling:

- First of all, your “unseen”-theme comes across more like a “blog” theme than a general website theme. I imagine most themeforest customers are using wordpress to build websites for corporate customers, or to build their own websites for projects/products/software like myself. Because of this, I think your theme might be overlooked for most users, or at best falls in between both worlds.

- Your header JQuery “slider” is “abnormal”. At first view, it is hard to see if this is just some “latest posts” module displaying. I think it is a bit confusing for average Joe to have the text on the left and right of a slider in the middle. This header does not sell … Its not a killer header. ... Headers are important …

- Top menu – When I view theme demos, I have very short attention span. Your main menu has “parent category” and “child category” where I was looking for “shortcodes” and other page examples. Not being able to immediately find other page examples lead me to believe it was not worth my time … Of course later on, I see you have other page examples in the sidebar menu. This may be unfortunate of course, but I think many users still look at the main menu to find a full structure of the site with example-pages …

- The last thing, although it may be very subjective to my perspective – Slideshow/Menu speed/FRAMERATE. For some reason, the framerate of your animated menu and slider graphic is much lower than normal. These are some of the finder details that are annoying to me, as they make the site seem less smooth and attractive … This itself could be a reason I might just go “nah…” ...

As I mentioned, this is just my personal opinion, and I think your theme is quite nice =)

4 posts
suncat100 says

I usually check through all new Wordpress themes, and I have a strong incentive in what to look for (speaking for myself of course):

- Most important is that it is well-designed, and that includes the details. I look from Header -> Menu -> content+sidebars -> Footer. It needs to be clean!

- I often check the contact-page to see if it’s done with captcha and preferably ajax. I can add my own contact form no problem, but its a sign of the theme creator making something COMPLETE when they add the captcha and ajax option. After all, no serious website can have contact form without captcha. If I have to embed my own contact form, first of all I have to set up the plugin properly, and then there is all the styling to connect it with the theme design.

- Depending on the size of the website to be created, I look for shortcodes and widgets included. It DOES save a lot of time having shortcodes and widgets included(integrated with the design), at least for heavy duty sites. It also shows the creator has put a lot of thought into it … I also consider the style/design of the integrated plugins and shortcodes of course.

- If a theme demo does not have pages that showcases typography, widgets or shortcodes or anything, I am not interested. I wanna see at least typography and preferably other inline elements. I want to see that theme is designed with proper integration of elements for usage.

- All in the Details … I find it annoying with themes that “forget” a:hover style for certain links. Bonus points for themes that are 100% complete styled.

- Speaking for myself of course, if I come across a theme that is really good, I could easily pay more than 37$ for it. It’s not really about the price when it comes to amounts below 100$.

In my personal opinion you don’t get the right to ask “I want all this and some more” when you are paying close to nothing for a really good product… I don’t want to get into a discussion but all I can say is I don’t feel like I am the king here just because I’m paying 30 something bucks for a theme where otherwise would cost 100 times more .. If somebody else thinks that theme designers should give them everything it’s within their right of course. I’m just not that person.
Generally I agree, but then again, the buyer will look to buy the best product – Its that simple. However, in after-sales I think its limited how much support a user can be demanding. Also, it would be wrong to demand anything from a theme after purchase – The creator should fair-and-square be able to say “sorry, this theme doesn’t do that”.

I think many of the theme designers are doing incredible work!

4 posts
suncat100 says

I don’t think this will be ultimately feasible. Its almost like asking to encrypt your content, yet of course you want everyone to be able to read it …

4 posts
suncat100 says

I am very fond of extensive typography shortcodes included in the themes. Unfortunately, some of the themes I actually want to use, don’t have the shortcodes of less attractive themes. Isn’t there some good typography shortcode plugin out there somewhere? I notice many of the themes use almost identical shortcodes anyway …

There is for example one theme here that includes tons of beautiful typography shortcodes: http://intelligible.pandathemes.com/shortcodes/boxes/ (View the ‘shortcodes’ menu button at the top to see all) – I don’t want to use this theme, but I want those shortcodes, and I would pay for them!

Any words of wisdom regarding this?

by
by
by
by
by
by