Today is my 2nd day here and I downloaded the asset library after I finished reading all the articles on Knowledgebase. I have to say that I am disappointed with the quality of a majority of them. Some are so drab that if put in a sleek modern theme, the feel returns back to 1990s. This is not going to help the noob authors. The experienced author anyways never use these files.
I am requesting the staff to do something about this. Envato is a marketplace of all sorts of things and I am sure that these image assets can be updated on a monthly basis to keep the competetion going for the new authors.
I promise I will buy quality photos from PhotoDune as soon as I have my first sale, I have already selected some! But if I use these images in the Asset Library, that first sale might never happen
What do my fellow new authors say about this?
In further analysis, I have collated weekly sales data of the most popular files (~900) going as far back as 1 Jan 2009. Look around the pivot table to track how each file entered and exited the top sales bracket and in which weeks.
More to come later!
Sitting in the last half of 2013, I am wondering whether the horrible monster called IE6 is finally slain or not? Has anyone come across any customer this year asking for IE6 and IE7 compatibility?
Would like to hear from all of you.
Thanks and Best Regards…
Here’s more sauce for new authors to jump in sooner than later. The market is ripe now. We all have the hunch that we have a good thing going here in ThemeForest. However, nothing proves that better than cold, hard numbers! Now you know the value of being a part of this family.
- New files uploaded since Feb 2013 (last 6 months roughly) add up to a whopping $14M in sales! And that includes the big guys as well.
- If we leave out the big guys (selling more than $20k per item), the small fish has $7.3M to themselves!
- If we leave out the medium big guys (selling more than $10k per item), it still means $5M for the small fish in the pond
Other data having little interest for new authors, but to give a general idea as to how the sales compare with all time greats and newest cool kids who will soon be in the big league:
- Top 1500 files have raked in $71.2M over all time
- Top 3000 files have raked in $84.3M over all time
Top files which debuted this year (having more than ~440 sales AND sales amount of $2k minimum in this period) have raked in ~$8.8M alone!
Top files which debuted this year (having more than ~220 sales AND sales amount of $1k minimum in this period) have raked in ~$11.6M alone!
Enough proof that the marketplace is really getting into action – Come join the ride!!!
My goal is financial independence. I have made a decent calculation on this matter. I am 30 now and I have 40 years left I presume. So considering my current standard of living, an income of $100k per year is a good enough to support my family and me. So 40 times $100k is a cool $4M. That is the price of my financial independence (Yes, I have factored in inflation, as you get older, your expenditure will also go down as the inflation goes up). Once I have this in my pocket, I can rest happily and work without thinking about money. That is the best thing I believe, when you don’t have to worry about that weekly paycheck – it will bring out the best in you.
So I keep working here on ThemeForest waiting for that day when I will have earned my stripes like Krisei and Peerapong.
I have a knack for publicly available data, having a Masters in Information Systems. So before I dive into being the latest author on ThemeForest, I decided to crunch some data to understand if it still makes financial sense to join the party this late. Naturally, I needed to extract the data of the Top 2600 authors that can be found easily here. http://themeforest.net/author/top_authors
I have collated the data in various ways and color coded them by range where necessary. I have converted the amount to Indian Rupees in some places because that helps me to visualize better than Dollars. (I am Indian ) You can convert to your own currency as you find suitable. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65276695/ThemeForest_20130811.xlsx* My conclusions are:
- The marketplace is miles from being saturated. Promising newcomers within the last one year has proven this beyond doubt.
- Rank newcomers (member less than one year as of today) have managed to make sales worth more than $5.12M when the top 10 has easily sold $4.06M worth of fresh goods (submitted within last 1 year roughly). Proves both sides of the argument – newcomers got a fair share and top 10 kept their edge.
- Some of the new authors (first file submitted within last 6 months) have managed to reach 50k – 100k dollars quite easily. I have no idea if this is due to heavy marketing on their part, but guessing by the number of authors who have made this possible, it should not be a difficult task with some amount of dedication. QODE is the new author to watch for!
DISCLAIMER: I am not connected to Envato in any manner. That said, I would be glad to accept any invitation to work with them. It is a great community here!