Posts by zun1989

150 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
zun1989 says

I don’t know, i think that’s mental masturbation. You’re talking about just hosting themes right? ALL plans come with multiple MySQL Databases. Really the only differences are space, and websites.

the economy allows one website. So what? you just want to host themes? so put a new WP install in for each theme, in it’s own folder.

what I do is start from the root public_html and add a single folder client_sites then create a new folder for each site. Then install WP to the new folder. there’s no need for multiple websites

and space? 100 mb is not much, at all, but DO NOT believe the BS about space being unlimited. There is absolutely no such thing, and if you read the TOS you’ll find that they ‘qualify’ that statement by saying if you use more than most, you’ll get cancelled.

I tested this too :) and they all work the same. They all say unlimited, and there is simply no such thing. \ Justhost claims unlimited space, but if you have more than 250,000 files they cut you off. That’s a lot, but guess what? it’s still not unlimited.

Listen, if it were me I’d start at the entry level, if you find you need more? upgrade. Pretty easy. and you can do it any time.

the other side, we’re talking about a few bucks per month. less than a cup of coffee difference so if you’re like me you’[d just get the mid level.

I could write a book on the backhanded things hosts do, and what you have to watch for. They dont tell you this but they all monitor CPU cycles. if your site uses a lot, done. they monitor ram usage. your site uses a lot? done. Not only that, but many of them (justhost included) even tell you right in their control panel, even though you’re supposed to have ‘unlimited’, that you are allotted ONE cpu, 500mb ram on the entry level etc etc

I’d just start low and add as you need.

now, I wouldn’t want a hosting account like that, i use them for testing, and miscellaneous. I run my own servers. and a lot of people are moving to things like digital ocean, Ec2 at Amazon etc. Not realizing they arent qualified to manage servers, then they whine when the host shuts them down because they got hacked and someone complained about it. They have this bizarre idea that the host should let the server continue spamming, brute force hacking etc and contact you before shutting it down. it’s so unbelievably backwards.

So I’d keep it simple. Start with a basic and grow as you need it. you aren’t trapped. if you don’t like it, take the 8 bucks next month and move. it takes around 10 minutes to move a site from one host to another (plus propagation time for DNS)

Thanks for the detailed advice. I guess i will start with small and upgrade along the way according to needs. Actually at first i just need a personal portfolio site. Then maybe space for html5 templates or wordpress as i start working on them. But long way for that. So for personal portfolio i guess starting small is better.

150 posts
+1 more
zun1989 says

If i decide to go with Godaddy should i take the “starter” or “business” option. They said “business” is for Ideal for small businesses, freelance designers and active bloggers. And around 9.99 bucks per month. Which one would be better do you think? @FastNOC

150 posts
+1 more
zun1989 says

I can tell you from my experience a couple places that make it easy. I owned hosting companies way back in the day before control panels etc

We still do hosting but only to business clients, the retail side went ugly with lies of unlimited anything and devious terms. So we ended up getting out.

However, I can also tell you, I still shop the competition :). If you are looking for simplicity I would have to recommend godaddy.

Most hosts have a pseudo integrated ‘control panel’ now which is really little more than a themed central panel. But most have automated installs. I used justhost for awhile and tested domains there, but I would recommend anyone looking to search elsewhere because the service, and response times was beyond abhorant. At least for me. Godaddy, while bloated and over bearing on worthless advertising and trying to jam every product under the sun into your order forms that you have to scroll through, is still BY FAR the best, most stable place I’ve used.

they have an automated install that makes setting up blogs almost too easy. Click on the apps, choose WordPress, pick the folder to install to (or set up an addon domain) and click ‘install’. it’s done in 30 seconds and you’re logged in. It’s JUST that simple.

and adding your themes is easy too. They scripted it to perm the folders and chmod them correctly so out of the box the folders that need write permission have them. you can install WP, click on the admin page, click on ‘appearance’ then ‘themes’ then ‘add new’ then ‘upload’. Choose your zip file, and it will upload it, report the dependencies (plugins) and allow you to activate right there..

I highly recommend them for ease of use, but primarily for hosting environment stability as well.

I keep all ‘real’ domains on our own hardware, or in the cloud, but as I said, i keep accounts at most places, like godaddy, enom, hostgator, justhost, 1 and 1 etc.

I’d say give godaddy a try. at like 7 bucks a month for an entry level account yo can’t go wrong. and that level still allows multiple independent installs of WP in separated folders.

Now, as a side note, and someone that does server and hosting (mostly commerce) for a living i can tell you, the ability to download/upload directly to your WP install is a security DISASTER. but it does have its place. I would research htaccess, or learn how to chmod folders yourself. If you want to use the automation, do so by turning off or changing the settings, do your business then change things back to secure.

If you have the knowledge you should be using SFTP anyway, or even shell in (yes you can do that at godaddy) so your hosting environment and keep things as locked down as you can. But for the simplicity of just wanting to display a WP theme, you can’t beat the way they have it set up.

I guess i should check it out. I hear some rumours here and also complains about godaddy. I dont remember the details though. This is why i never checked it our.

150 posts
+1 more
zun1989 says

I guess i have posted it in the wrong category maybe. But as i was planning to buy themeforest wordpress template so maybe people in these section are best suited.

150 posts
+1 more
zun1989 says

I was planning to buy a theme from here and also get web hosting and domain.

As i am abit new with this so my target involves :

-Something that is simple for wordpress theme installation and managing. -Service is good in general -And support variety of payment for example skrill/moneybooker. -Maybe in future host themeforest sites (for sale), i mean i am also planning to upload templates(htlm5 maybe wordpress) for sale in the future myself.

From my research i have found this 2 site :

qhoster and arvixe

So anyone has any experience in any of these services?

Also if you have other site in mind then do share but please keep the points I mentioned in mind.

Thank you.

150 posts
+1 more
zun1989 says

Hello I have posted a post earlier regarding programming before. Basically i had 0 knowledge about programming and i have tried C++ abit. So now i believe my programming language is :

( PL>0; PL++ ) :P . Ok apart from the lame joke. I learnt some few things in c++.

So basically i would like to enter the world of web development and design ( Wordpress sites etc). And at the moment i design Ios and android app ui. I also like to go on web app designing field as well maybe someday.

Q1. So coming back to the question : Which i should start with? PHP or RUBY +ROR.

Basically i already learnt html/css so was planning to go to javascript and php. But for some reason the Ror/ruby attracted me. Maybe its the icon or something. But i wanted to try it.

Therefore i am looking for expert opinions who are in the field to give me some advice :

Q2. Will there be any problem or hindrance in my web development carrier that i am planning to build if i start with Ror instead of PHP ?

Q3. Remember also i design apps, so will it be beneficial for me in that sector?

If you would like to add more details or give advice then feel free to do so. Also kindly know that i don’t have much knowledge in the programming field, i am starting and thus my questions can be from “noob category” so please be kind. Thank you.

150 posts
+1 more
zun1989 says

I currently have a Macbook with retina display but I absolutely love my Asus with 16 GB of ram. It runs on Window 8 and it is amazingly fast. Once I was running a 1080p movie + AutoCAD + Photoshop + a 1080 video converter and it ran all of those smoothly without any frame loss or slow speed. I had an iMac (the latest version) but after giving the Asus a try, I decided to sell it. Now my Macbook has become more of an entertainment system. I personally recommend you to buy a desktop instead of a laptop because you get your job done 10X faster.
Well i know desktop will be a better choice, but at the moment i was thinking of buying a portable one.
150 posts
+1 more
zun1989 says

A Mac might be more expensive, but believe me, it is worth every penny! I once made a mistake of purchasing a windows laptop. All the trouble with updates, software etc, I’ll probably never buy a Windows again. Once you have a Mac, you’ll understand that it is possible to work on a computer without all the trouble, all the randomness of a Windows. There is no maintenance, no worries about your antivirus, or about that it’s getting slower. It just works.

But moving on, a Mac is more expensive. What you could do, if you live in the USA, is buy one on Ebay. You’ll find new ones, but much cheaper than in the regular Apple stores. You can also consider buying a second hand or refurbished machine, sometimes, they are even sold with warranty.

You should keep in mind, that not only the specs, but also the OS determines your performance. A 1.6 Ghz macbook air will perform much better than a 1.6 Ghz windows netbook. (not that you should go for an air if you are planning on designing stuff … but still).

As you have mentioned the issue of virus. I have a question based on that. Lets say i used a pen drive on an infected windows pc, and i used the pen drive on my MAC.

Won’t it affect the MAC? I mean i dont know much but virus are programs right. So how come it affects the windows but fails in MAC.

Anyways if the virus doesnt affect the MAC then thats actually a very good reason to get mac in general. I do hate all the updates and everything.

150 posts
+1 more
zun1989 says

I should have mentioned the budget actually. After listening to many of you guys. I am considering budget to be around 2000USD max

150 posts
+1 more
zun1989 says
by
by
by
by
by