506 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Australia
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
justinfrench Envato team says

Hey folks,

Tom, Ben and I have started work on a few small projects to subtly update the visual design of the Marketplaces. We’re much happier with the visual style used in some of the more recent features we’ve shipped (like author payments or bookmarks), and these are the first few steps to bring everything else up to the same style.

Our focus (at least to start with) is primarily on aesthetics rather than structural changes, but I assure you other teams are still hard at work on long-requested features and functionality as well :)

The first tiny step for us has already been shipped — you might see a link to a quick survey in a few places (no site-wider banners!), which we’re using to understand what users think of the current design.

The first piece that’s pretty close to shipping is the section below the header which holds the breadcrumbs, page title and tabs. Here’s a sneak peek:

Next, we’re tackling the many and varied boxes and panels in the sidebars. We have a long list of niggles from there, we’ll see how far we can get in the next few weeks. We’ll be shipping incrementally where it makes sense, so please be patient, help us find stuff we accidentally break, and keep an eye on this thread for screenshots and notices as we go.

After that, we’d like to circle back to the header and some other stuff that’s been suggested here in the forums. More on that soon.

There’s one more thing… We’d like to lighten the background color.

Some authors use images in their item descriptions and profiles that rely on (or try to match) our existing grey background. Changing the color would unfortunately create extra work for those authors (they’d need to update the affected images). You can help us understand the impact of this change and plan a transition as best we can by answering a few quick questions in this survey.

37 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
murga says

Nice one :D

1629 posts Building the Web.
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
ZoomIt says

Some authors use images in their item descriptions and profiles that rely on (or try to match) our existing grey background.

That’s why I use transparent PNG :D

1560 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
AndrVlad says

Answered survey, but actually none of my images rely on the background so zero work required from my side while survey have only 1-5 items (update requered) and less then a week (rework) as a minimums options.

Best Regards, Andrey

4623 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+8 more
digitalscience says

For the love of God please don’t change what already works, can you please rather spend time and energy on new functionality, like improvements to home page exposure… honestly the background colour is fine for now, really guys – talk about dragging ones feet :D Tweaking boxes and colours etc is not going to improve sales for anyone.. so why waste time.. how about redesigning the home page!?

It seems pretty obvious now Envato will only make changes to the site that doesn’t interrupt sales distribution. Which is why we only see tweaks to stuff that already works, and slight shuffling around, tweaking colors… this site is gonna go nowhere if that policy doesn’t change.

506 posts
  • Located in Australia
+1 more

Answered survey, but actually none of my images rely on the background so zero work required from my side while survey have only 1-5 items (update requered) and less then a week (rework) as minimums options.

Fixed, thanks!

2171 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
Creattive says

Some authors use images in their item descriptions and profiles that rely on (or try to match) our existing grey background.
That’s why I use transparent PNG :D

+1, I knew that day would come :D

2117 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Graphic-Studio says

I read the title wrong.

I thought you said the site would visually refresh as each new item is added.

So i’m on the homepage and BAM! things move slightly and 4 new items are shown while 4 drop off.

That would be cool.

(Goes off to survey….).

574 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Gareth_Gillman says

For the love of God please don’t change what already works, can you please rather spend time and energy on new functionality, like improvements to home page exposure… honestly the background colour is fine for now, really guys – talk about dragging ones feet :D Tweaking boxes and colours etc is not going to improve sales for anyone.. so why waste time.. how about redesigning the home page!? It seems pretty obvious now Envato will only make changes to the site that doesn’t interrupt sales distribution. Which is why we only see tweaks to stuff that already works, and slight shuffling around, tweaking colors… this site is gonna go nowhere if that policy doesn’t change.

Read the OP before commenting? Justin did say the other teams are working on functionality

Justin is concentrating on the design elements which imho do need some amendments are the marketplace websites are kinda need of a little tlc.

Justin and his design team need to be kept busy somehow ;)

506 posts
  • Located in Australia
+1 more

For the love of God please don’t change what already works, can you please rather spend time and energy on new functionality, like improvements to home page exposure…

Can’t we do both? :)

Lightening the background is a tiny technical project, but the lead times could be huge, so we’re getting things moving early.

by
by
by
by
by
by