205 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
biyanpasau says

The new change looks weird and mismatch with the whole design. And, c’mon…can you please get rid that word “marketplaces”. It hurts my eyes.

1463 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+3 more
WebSmacker says

Thanks Madlep for the info, and I politely disagree too :)

So let me get this straight, you don’t have a QA environment, you push your small changes to production, and then you test and fix any bugs? I’m sorry but that’s not the “best way to reduce risk”. The best way to reduce risk is to push your code to an environment similar to prod and test your changes there. I’m a senior level dev for a mult billion dollar corp so I’ve had some experience with both, and having a QA is definitely the best route.

This is just my opinion, so take it as that. I know you are doing your best and I will support you, your dev team and the company as I still love Envato. I feel/sound like a compulsive complainer lately but it’s because I see so much that I could help improve but have to sit back and watch :)

236 posts Marketplace Developer
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in New Zealand
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
madlep Envato team says

Thanks Madlep for the info, and I politely disagree too :)

So let me get this straight, you don’t have a QA environment, you push your small changes to production, and then you test and fix any bugs? I’m sorry but that’s not the “best way to reduce risk”. The best way to reduce risk is to push your code to an environment similar to prod and test your changes there. I’m a senior level dev for a mult billion dollar corp so I’ve had some experience with both, and having a QA is definitely the best route.

This is just my opinion, so take it as that. I know you are doing your best and I will support you, your dev team and the company as I still love Envato. I feel/sound like a compulsive complainer lately but it’s because I see so much that I could help improve but have to sit back and watch :)

Oh, we definitely have an internal QA environment for manual testing. It’s overkill to use it for everything, but it gets used for manually testing larger changes.

However developers do test changes in their local dev environment, and everything goes through an automated full stack continuous integration (CI) environment.

I’ve been a senior developer in a multi-billion dollar corp too in a previous life too :) . The bureaucracy overhead from having a heavy change control/deployment process can be really crippling. And I’ve been a developer in small start up projects where every change was just cowboyed out. That didn’t work too well either.

The balance the dev team has here is really a much better way. Like I said, thousands of deploys go out every year. 99% of the time, nothing bad happens. Occasionally, something does. In this case we messed up our own process, but the process itself works great.

1463 posts
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
  • Located in United States
+3 more
WebSmacker says

^ I get it now… I took it as you didn’t have a test environment at all and was cowboying it out, which shocked me hence my response. Thanks for explaining, it’s great to know what’s going on behind the scenes.

Have a good week and keep up the good work :)

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
centurypixel says

Hello guys, I did a brief search in the forums to see if “sort by category” was covered, I was not able to find it. However, I am sure someone made this request before. I remember I did once, and I got a canned response from support which didn’t even answer my question.

I have purchased over 120 templates from ThemeForest. I am pretty sure it is EXTREMELY EASY to be able to sort downloads (previous purchases) by category, such as Joomla, WordPress, Magento etc.

If we want to view all of WordPress templates we have purchased, we should not have to go through every single page and look through. Don’t you think? :bashful:

72 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Located in Australia
+3 more
MelonHTML5 says

OMG, when I first saw the new design, I thought it was a CSS error (like a css file didn’t get loaded properly or not) until I saw this post. To be honest, the new look does not match the site at all.

4668 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

Is there a bug with the Portfolio page? When I’m logged in I can’t see how much commission I received per item and no option to download or edit my own item… it’s a similar view to how someone eases portfolio would look (just shows general details)

Mipla-Production
Mipla-Production Recent Posts Threads Started
347 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+3 more
Mipla-Production says

Is there a bug with the Portfolio page? When I’m logged in I can’t see how much commission I received per item and no option to download or edit my own item… it’s a similar view to how someone eases portfolio would look (just shows general details)

Check `Active Items`! :)

4668 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

Check `Active Items`! :)

Ah I see ;)

323 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
familychoice says

Best way to reduce risk in software development is to push lots of tiny changes out as quick as you can. Small changes are easy to reason about and get right. We make a few thousand small deploys a year. Most of the time it all just works, and no one notices (except when we want them to). 99% of the time this works great. (see “10 Deploys a Day – A Case Study of Continuous Delivery at Envato” for more detail on how we ship code).

That might work for software (though it means customers end up bug testing so they’ll hate you for it) but this is a website – despite the bells and whistles functionality, not a piece of software.

Website changes should be thoroughly tested before the changes are made live, and inviting a selection of regular customers and authors for final user feedback and thumbs-up is the way to go.

Your ‘suck it and see’ approach to design doesn’t work, as can be seen by the recent awful header and navigation changes.

by
by
by
by
by
by