11 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
oleandercreative says

Everyone here is attacking the song even though most of you probably don’t understand the lyrics. Gangnam Style is a parody of the over-the-top, extravagant, consumer driven, and wasteful lifestyle of the rich in an area of South Korea called Gangnam. Psy is criticizing what he believes to be a form of social injustice.

In addition, Psy graduated from the Berklee School of Music (the most prestigious music university in the United States) and he wrote and recorded the entire song by himself – lyrics, instrumentals, synths, everything.

And finally, how can you say he doesn’t have talent? Do you know anyone that can horse dance like that? :D

1394 posts
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Europe
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
Stylius says

The only thing I know is that the guy is a genius.
Why is he a genius?
Because he made a fortune out of a song.

No offence, buddy, but do you know the definition of the word “genius” ? A genius is a person of extraordinary intellect and talent… and honestly I don’t see that in him. He’s just taking advantage of people’s lack of intelligence and taste, that’s why he’s so popular.

A lot of people make a fortune out of a single song (Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, Justin Bieber, Beyonce, Britney Spears, Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato, Miley Cyrus, ...), so I take it they’re geniuses as well, right?

Cyrus, Lovato and company are taking advantage of teen girls indeed. But I don’t think that this is PSY’s case. This guy has quite a career in Korea and you can’t say the lyrics are dumb because I guess you don’t understand them. Look for the translation, you’ll see that it tells a story and it might not be the greatest lyrics in the wold, but it’s something. The thing that quite bothers me is that people say that Guns nd Roses, Metallica, Ramones knew how to make music and musicians nowadays are worthless. Well, guess what, music taste is relative. As I said, I think that The Beatles were the greatest band in history, and I absolutely love them! but that is not a reason to stop listening to PSY, Jamie Cullum, Gaga, Sia, The Cardigans or Florence and The Machine. You must keep an open mind and if you don’t like something, don’t listen to it. It’s simple as that.

In the case of PSY. The rhythm of the music is great, the dance is brilliant, he is a funny guy and he makes people have a really good time. Sometimes just simple things like these make something amazing, and this is why I believe he is quite a genius. I wish I had the idea.

Just my two cents, I know that most of you won’t agree with me, but like I care :bigsmile:

57 posts
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
Blunny says

Even though the song is catchy, I think the video is the reason it went viral… random fun things happening, simple dance moves everyone can do. There is definitely worse music than PSY being worshiped all year round, so cheers to him for achieving something most of us never will :P

+1

Kitten videos aren’t a proof that the quality level of cats is definitely going down, because pre-YouTube cats were actually able to stay awake and perform in a coherent manner ;-)

148 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
BowtieThemes says

Oh come on guys, video is funny and song is catchy, there’s no reason to hate it :D I love it!

590 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
CodeSwift says

Damn you’re late. This was popular A LONG TIME ago.

Here’s the “next gangnam style” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_miGclPFGs

I don’t want to live on this planet anymore.

1394 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
Stylius says

NO WAY WPS!! :) I think you’re missing the point why PSY is popular. That guy can’t be the next PSY. His music is stupid, I cannot bear the melody and it is way too repetitive.

177 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Romania
DanThemes says

Cyrus, Lovato and company are taking advantage of teen girls indeed. But I don’t think that this is PSY’s case.

<sarcasm>You’re totally right.</sarcasm> :)

177 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Romania
DanThemes says

WOW! Nearly 8 million views!! He must be a genius as well, right Stylius? :)

1394 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
Stylius says

WOW! Nearly 8 million views!! He must be a genius as well, right Stylius? :)

<sarcasm>Yes, because 8 million is totally comparable with 1 billion :) </sarcasm>

590 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
CodeSwift says

NO WAY WPS!! :) I think you’re missing the point why PSY is popular. That guy can’t be the next PSY. His music is stupid, I cannot support the melody and it is way too repetitive.

Of course it’s stupid and repetitive, the only thing he says is “One pound fish”. :)

But 8.000.000 views in 15 days, that thing will blow up like gangnam style did.

About Gangnam Style, it didn’t get popular because of the music, it got popular because of the video.

I never liked Gangnam Style but now i pretty much hate it, everywhere i go it’s playing, started to get annoying.

I miss normal music, music like this.

But i guess i just got old, kind of soon, i’m 24 but it seems i did.

by
by
by
by
by
by