• Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
wptitans says
jscheetz said
wptitans said
It is a standard auto responder :P , we had responded politely but he reached the end conclusion pretty quickly. If he had waited a little more we could have helped them. We deal with a lot of support on a daily base and we are able to reply within 48 hours, sometimes a little later but they are very respectful and awesome. When this happens we feel quite disappointed.
I’m actually interested in knowing how you’ve set up your auto-responder. Does it send an email when they purchase like the standard Envato one does? Do share!

Hi Justin,

we’ve opened a gmail account for our support for the time being. Then we have activated the auto responder inside the gmail settings.

This way the buyer receives the responder whenever they contact us through our contact form on our profile page.

548 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
tonvie says
AlexPascal said
wptitans said
When this happens we feel quite disappointed.
Rightly so. Buyers like this shouldn’t be rewarded with support and politeness after they potentially ruin an item’s rating because they think they’re hot sh*t and can’t wait a couple hours.

I would venture to say it’s a ‘wash’ in the end…I’d bet as many people who pull the trigger for a 1 star, later regret it as I’ve done. Likewise, I’ve also given themes 5 stars that after a month of working with the theme, I wish I’d given it 1 star and not been so wooed by the fluff. Not sure how valid the ‘ruining an items rating’ is, as mistakes happen both in favor and against the author.

No matter, I think we can agree in this particular case, someone freaked out prematurely because of an autoresponder of all things. I still say kill him with kindness until he apologizes :)

219 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
NuclearThemes says

While there are some buyers out there that abuse the rating system, the average rating is more important than 1 buyer. If a single buyer leaves a 1 star, and you have plenty of other ratings your average is still high so it’s not something to worry about.

I’ve yet to launch my theme on here so as always my advice carries very little weight but I’m sure others out here will agree with me.

136 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
ThemeShaper says
NuclearThemes said
While there are some buyers out there that abuse the rating system, the average rating is more important than 1 buyer. If a single buyer leaves a 1 star, and you have plenty of other ratings your average is still high so it’s not something to worry about. I’ve yet to launch my theme on here so as always my advice carries very little weight but I’m sure others out here will agree with me.

Whilst that is mostly true in general, at the beginning of an items release, a couple of ‘wrong’ 1 star ratings can result in a 1-3 star rating- which will really affect an items sales. Assuming 1 out of 10 or so rate, it can also take a while for any such damage to be undone..

1479 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says
tonvie said
AlexPascal said
wptitans said
When this happens we feel quite disappointed.
Rightly so. Buyers like this shouldn’t be rewarded with support and politeness after they potentially ruin an item’s rating because they think they’re hot sh*t and can’t wait a couple hours.

I would venture to say it’s a ‘wash’ in the end…I’d bet as many people who pull the trigger for a 1 star, later regret it as I’ve done. Likewise, I’ve also given themes 5 stars that after a month of working with the theme, I wish I’d given it 1 star and not been so wooed by the fluff. Not sure how valid the ‘ruining an items rating’ is, as mistakes happen both in favor and against the author.

No matter, I think we can agree in this particular case, someone freaked out prematurely because of an autoresponder of all things. I still say kill him with kindness until he apologizes :)

An apology won’t change the rating, and even if we take into account the possibility that he might buy one of your next themes, it doesn’t change the original theme’s rating nor will it make him appreciate the additional bonus of countless hours of support offered by the author simply by awarding the theme a positive rating.

Simply put, punishment fits the crime. He’ll think twice about rating a theme 1 star because he didn’t get the author’s life for $35.

4182 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
+9 more
Enabled Volunteer moderator says

Contact support and give them proof of what happened, e-mail archives, etc etc. I believe they can remove your negative rating. That is total … Honestly now?! For an auto reply to get one star is something out of this world!

I’m sure staff can help!

2541 posts
  • United States
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+4 more
CreatingDrew says
Enabled said
Contact support and give them proof of what happened, e-mail archives, etc etc. I believe they can remove your negative rating. That is total … Honestly now?! For an auto reply to get one star is something out of this world! I’m sure staff can help!

Sorry guys, support/staff cannot help you here. We can’t manually alter anything in the database. This may have happened one or two times in the past but it’s wayyy too risky on marketplaces with this many members to do. Unfortunately, until we revamp the ratings system they are indeed permanent.

However, as I’ve said many times the dev team and staff are aware the rating system needs an overhaul badly and it is in the devs pipeline, along with a LOT of other projects. So patience for now guys, I know it’s frustrating, but the rating system will get looked and worked on at some point in the dev schedule. :)

4182 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Won a Competition
+9 more
Enabled Volunteer moderator says
CreatingDrew said
Enabled said
Contact support and give them proof of what happened, e-mail archives, etc etc. I believe they can remove your negative rating. That is total … Honestly now?! For an auto reply to get one star is something out of this world! I’m sure staff can help!

Sorry guys, support/staff cannot help you here. We can’t manually alter anything in the database. This may have happened one or two times in the past but it’s wayyy too risky on marketplaces with this many members to do. Unfortunately, until we revamp the ratings system they are indeed permanent.

However, as I’ve said many times the dev team and staff are aware the rating system needs an overhaul badly and it is in the devs pipeline, along with a LOT of other projects. So patience for now guys, I know it’s frustrating, but the rating system will get looked and worked on at some point in the dev schedule. :)

Sorry for the bad info Drew! I remember it happened once before!

1621 posts Building the Web.
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+2 more
ZoomIt says

Anyone know the average that you need to get a 5 star rating ? Do you need a 4.5 or above average ? If so, I recommend it rounds to the largest integer, so if you have 4.1 it will get rounded to 5, 3.1 => 4. It’s in anyone’s best interest for the products to have higher ratings.

3429 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • United States
+5 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says
ZoomIt said
Anyone know the average that you need to get a 5 star rating ? Do you need a 4.5 or above average ? If so, I recommend it rounds to the largest integer, so if you have 4.1 it will get rounded to 5, 3.1 => 4. It’s in anyone’s best interest for the products to have higher ratings.

While as an author I certainly like this idea, I don’t think buyers would see this type of ratings inflation as in their best interest necessarily – that would mean that if a product received 50 3-star ratings and 1 4-star rating, giving them an average of just over 3 but a rating of 4 stars, which should suggest that overall users give this product about 4 stars – but that’s not the case in this example. I think the rating “ranges” have to be divided down the middle of star values (i.e. at .5) in order for them to maintain their relevance to the actual individual ratings.

Not that I would be against the idea, though! :) Just doubt buyers would appreciate it?

by
by
by
by
by
by