• Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
tonvie says
AlexPascal said
tonvie said
AlexPascal said
wptitans said
When this happens we feel quite disappointed.
Rightly so. Buyers like this shouldn’t be rewarded with support and politeness after they potentially ruin an item’s rating because they think they’re hot sh*t and can’t wait a couple hours.

I would venture to say it’s a ‘wash’ in the end…I’d bet as many people who pull the trigger for a 1 star, later regret it as I’ve done. Likewise, I’ve also given themes 5 stars that after a month of working with the theme, I wish I’d given it 1 star and not been so wooed by the fluff. Not sure how valid the ‘ruining an items rating’ is, as mistakes happen both in favor and against the author.

No matter, I think we can agree in this particular case, someone freaked out prematurely because of an autoresponder of all things. I still say kill him with kindness until he apologizes :)

An apology won’t change the rating, and even if we take into account the possibility that he might buy one of your next themes, it doesn’t change the original theme’s rating nor will it make him appreciate the additional bonus of countless hours of support offered by the author simply by awarding the theme a positive rating.

Simply put, punishment fits the crime. He’ll think twice about rating a theme 1 star because he didn’t get the author’s life for $35.

I suppose that type of attitude works in cyberspace. Some of us work in the real world though where acting like that isn’t an option….we have to actually deal with humans face to face even when they are shmucks.

Talking “crime and punishment” is a bit over the top.

3202 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
organicbee says

“its just a stupid star” – people will always try manipulating/blackmailing people its part of life and general human nature, the web just makes it that more obvious. In the end it really depends on what type of business you want to run, if your here to make a quick buck then yeah ignore them shit don’t give any support in that case, but if you want to build a good reputation then support them in the long run it may pay off better for you and it simply good business . Look at some of the top themes that don’t have a full 5 star rating one 1 star rating isn’t going to kill your theme, not supporting it and being rude to customers will and yes I agree with some people theres nothing you can do but you shouldn’t automatically assume that, and I already think most authors here give way to much support for what its worth but I don’t see anyone with guidelines that define what they will support so people automatically hear the words “support” and think they can get anything out of it including custom work they don’t differentiate the two. and I also think the rating system need fixed, I def won’t disagree with that

1478 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says
tonvie said
AlexPascal said
tonvie said
AlexPascal said
wptitans said
Rightly so. Buyers like this shouldn’t be rewarded with support and politeness after they potentially ruin an item’s rating because they think they’re hot sh*t and can’t wait a couple hours.

I would venture to say it’s a ‘wash’ in the end…I’d bet as many people who pull the trigger for a 1 star, later regret it as I’ve done. Likewise, I’ve also given themes 5 stars that after a month of working with the theme, I wish I’d given it 1 star and not been so wooed by the fluff. Not sure how valid the ‘ruining an items rating’ is, as mistakes happen both in favor and against the author.

No matter, I think we can agree in this particular case, someone freaked out prematurely because of an autoresponder of all things. I still say kill him with kindness until he apologizes :)

An apology won’t change the rating, and even if we take into account the possibility that he might buy one of your next themes, it doesn’t change the original theme’s rating nor will it make him appreciate the additional bonus of countless hours of support offered by the author simply by awarding the theme a positive rating.

Simply put, punishment fits the crime. He’ll think twice about rating a theme 1 star because he didn’t get the author’s life for $35.

I suppose that type of attitude works in cyberspace. Some of us work in the real world though where acting like that isn’t an option….we have to actually deal with humans face to face even when they are shmucks.

I’ll just end it with this: since you are not an author here, you wouldn’t understand the repercussions that every small thing that goes on here brings to the sales of an item. Things like stupid, negative comments on the item discussion page, 1-star ratings that bring down the overall rating to 4 stars for the opening 2 weeks when the item gets the majority of the views, etc. It’s easy for you to say that this kind of behavior is acceptable but as an author, it matters and it should be punishable. After all, this is a business, it’s about the money, not your useless apologies. Apologies won’t get the money back you may have lost through arrogant behavior.

Good day to you, sir.

2054 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says
tonvie said
AlexPascal said
tonvie said
AlexPascal said
wptitans said

Tonvie – I plan on selling here beginning in January, and I have to say if someone gives me 1 star for a stupid reason I will not provide them support. If, however, they have a VERY good reason for a 1 star rating, I will work with them in solving the problem and go on my way.

And, what is the difference in the “real world”? Tell them they’re a shmuck and to get the hell out of your office.

Not trying to be disrespectful in any way, just voicing my opinion (isn’t that what the forum is for?)

548 posts
tonvie says
AlexPascal said
tonvie said
AlexPascal said
tonvie said
AlexPascal said
wptitans said

I’ll just end it with this: since you are not an author here, you wouldn’t understand the repercussions that every small thing that goes on here brings to the sales of an item. Things like stupid, negative comments on the item discussion page, 1-star ratings that bring down the overall rating to 4 stars for the opening 2 weeks when the item gets the majority of the views, etc. It’s easy for you to say that this kind of behavior is acceptable but as an author, it matters and it should be punishable. After all, this is a business, it’s about the money, not your useless apologies. Apologies won’t get the money back you may have lost through arrogant behavior.

Good day to you, sir.
You don’t read too well. No where have I condoned this chap’s behavior.

LMAO good day to you as well “sir”.

548 posts
tonvie says
LandonWilson said
tonvie said
AlexPascal said
tonvie said
AlexPascal said
wptitans said

Tonvie – I plan on selling here beginning in January, and I have to say if someone gives me 1 star for a stupid reason I will not provide them support. If, however, they have a VERY good reason for a 1 star rating, I will work with them in solving the problem and go on my way.

And, what is the difference in the “real world”? Tell them they’re a shmuck and to get the hell out of your office.

Not trying to be disrespectful in any way, just voicing my opinion (isn’t that what the forum is for?)

No offense taken :) I appreciate it when authors “out” themselves (not necessarily speaking of you). Let’s all the lurkers know who not to buy from ;)

2213 posts
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Germany
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
crozer says

And I’m just sitting here, laughing my ass off as the threaded quotes get insane :D .

2054 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says
tonvie said
No offense taken :) I appreciate it when authors “out” themselves (not necessarily speaking of you). Let’s all the lurkers know who not to buy from ;)

I don’t think I’d be getting rid of any buyers by saying that – if you have a reason for the bad rating, no problem. If you gave a bad rating because:

1) You bought the wrong theme, and Envato wouldn’t give you a refund because you already downloaded it. 2) I didn’t customize my theme for you, for free. 3) You didn’t read the documentation.

or a few other possibilities, I wouldn’t give support. Another reason to not provide support is when someone posts on the comment board stating the theme doesn’t work, when it does, it’s just the buyer doesn’t work.

by
by
by
by
by
by