• Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
tabvn says

no! from all ThemeForest.

How to make some money on web:

1. Ban authors from participating in WordCamp for being not GPL
  2. Force them GPL
  3. Sell all their themes in bundle for $0.99.
  4. ????
  5. PROFIT!!!!

Is this the true ? I can not wait to develop a website and sell all popular items here too :D, let’s get start.

983 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+2 more
purethemes says

2. Force them GPL
  4. ????
  5. PROFIT!!!!
Is this the true ? I can not wait to develop a website and sell all popular items here too :D, let’s get start.

What’s there to develop, just buy some ecommerce template to sell templates :D

305 posts Tabvn
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
tabvn says

2. Force them GPL
  4. ????
  5. PROFIT!!!!
What’s there to develop, just buy some ecommerce template to sell templates :D

You are right, that is good idea too , will saved a lot of times :D:D

100 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • United States
StevenGliebe says

Does this mean an exclusive author can’t sell their GPL theme elsewhere but another user/person could do so if they get their hands on it?
This can’t be solved without limiting 100% GPL as option for only non-exclusive authors. Any other alternative may require complex patch works on rules. Curious to see how this will be managed.

The GPL does not affect the agreement between Envato and authors. If I have an agreement with Envato to sell a theme only on ThemeForest and I sell it elsewhere at the same time, then I am violating the terms I agreed to. As a result, they can remove the theme or terminate my account. It doesn’t matter if the theme is 100% GPL or not. I don’t think anything changes in that respect.

I don’t see this as being a big deal though. All Envato is doing is offering another option. If authors don’t want to sell full GPL, they don’t have to. If they do, they can.

7133 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

Does this mean an exclusive author can’t sell their GPL theme elsewhere but another user/person could do so if they get their hands on it?
This can’t be solved without limiting 100% GPL as option for only non-exclusive authors. Any other alternative may require complex patch works on rules. Curious to see how this will be managed.

The GPL does not affect the agreement between Envato and authors. If I have an agreement with Envato to sell a theme only on ThemeForest and I sell it elsewhere at the same time, then I am violating the terms I agreed to. As a result, they can remove the theme or terminate my account. It doesn’t matter if the theme is 100% GPL or not. I don’t think anything changes in that respect.

I don’t see this as being a big deal though. All Envato is doing is offering another option. If authors don’t want to sell full GPL, they don’t have to. If they do, they can.

nope. the agreement is not only for sell on other marketplaces but about any type of distribution of the item present on this marketplace under the exclusive option. You can’t give it for free for example. Or like a prize for an online contest. Or whatever else.

646 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
Dream-Theme says

If I have an agreement with Envato to sell a theme only on ThemeForest and I sell it elsewhere at the same time, then I am violating the terms I agreed to.

But that’s the point that I CAN sell YOUR GPL THEMES elsewhere without violating anything :trollface: ... as well as you mine :)

7133 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

If I have an agreement with Envato to sell a theme only on ThemeForest and I sell it elsewhere at the same time, then I am violating the terms I agreed to.
But that’s the point that I CAN sell YOUR GPL THEMES elsewhere without violating anything :trollface: ... as well as you mine :)

exactly what I’m saying so the question is valid. I was just replying to StevenGliebe to show him where the error in his post was.

100 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
StevenGliebe says

nope. the agreement is not only for sell on other marketplaces but about any type of distribution of the item present on this marketplace under the exclusive option. You can’t give it for free for example. Or like a prize for an online contest. Or whatever else.

The GPL does not entitle an author to exposure on ThemeForest or any other website. The owners of the site decide what is sold and are perfectly free to remove an item or author.

614 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Austria
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+4 more
Kriesi says

Would be really silly to not be allowed to sell your own GPL licensed items elsewhere. What would make the most sense to me is that if you want to sell your items 100% GPL you forfeit your exclusive rights and become non-exclusive.

Thats also one of the options that would make sense from envatos point of view, since allowing exclusive authors to sell GPL themes elsewhere would simply lead to a few hundred new theme shops and marketplaces and some of them might even succeed :P

100 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
StevenGliebe says

Yes, I agree that that is the ironic part about selling full GPL as an exclusive author. In my opinion, it’s silly but true and without an contradiction of terms (technically speaking, anyway).

I don’t see it happening because only Envato will lose, but it would be great if everybody could sell non-exclusively at 50% – 70%. Who actually sells at 33% and makes a profit? The shops that Envato has wooed over like WooThemes, Obox, etc. are not getting 33%. Envato offers them a special rate.

by
by
by
by
by
by