80 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
urbanray says

no! from all ThemeForest.

How to make some money on web:

1. Ban authors from participating in WordCamp for being not GPL
  2. Force them GPL
  3. Sell all their themes in bundle for $0.99.
  4. ????
  5. PROFIT!!!!

5324 posts The Dude Abides
    Located in United States Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

A serious question here. Can we make it an in-house rule that 100% GPL does not override the current in-house stock-to-stock rule with regards to using other marketplace items in your own?

332 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
dekciw says

A serious question here. Can we make it an in-house rule that 100% GPL does not override the current in-house stock-to-stock rule with regards to using other marketplace items in your own?

100% GPL is 100% GPL. Make your plugins GPL and I’ll include all of those in my upcoming themes. And no in-house rules can’t stop me! :)

488 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
PixelBuffet says

100% GPL is 100% GPL. Make your plugins GPL and I’ll include all of those in my upcoming themes. And no in-house rules can’t stop me! :)

...they can stop you selling it here though, which is what codingjack is asking.

332 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
dekciw says

...they can stop you selling it here though, which is what codingjack is asking.

How? Making an in-house rule which breaks the fundamentals of GPL? :)

543 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Won a Most Wanted contest Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
kriskorn says

@PixelBuffet

This would be like hitting yourself in the face with a burning cactus at the same time eating wasabi and running away from a pack of angry lions.

49 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
carlhancock says

Envato exclusivity arrangements aren’t hindered by the GPL one bit.

The exclusivity is attached to the author and where they themselves sell their code. It has nothing to do with the code itself. The exclusivity means the author can’t sell it elsewhere. It doesn’t have anything to do with the end users and how they use it.

The GPL has everything to do with end users and what they can and can’t do with the code. It has nothing to do with the author and where he can and can’t sell it.

If you agree to exclusivity that’s an agreement between you and Envato and is outside of the GPL as it related to the code itself.

But this does illustrate the fact that many Envato authors have no F’n clue what the GPL is, what it’s about or how it will or most likely won’t impact them.

As for the believe that going GPL means some idiot is going to bundle your themes and sell them for pennies… sure it may happen but not in any scale that will have any kind of consequence. Envato wouldn’t allow it to happen on their own marketplace. Just because something is GPL and an Author is well within his rights to resell someone else’s work doesn’t mean Envato or any other reputable marketplace would allow them to do so on their service.

Take WordPress.org for instance. Do you think they’d allow someone to put all of WooThemes commercial themes in the WordPress.org theme repository? They are GPL afterall so anyone could do this. But the team that runs WordPress.org isn’t going to allow this to happen because because it’s in poor taste and they wouldn’t approve the theme submissions.

The fear and scare tactics used by people to claim the GPL will hurt their sales are being made by people who have no clue what they are talking about and have no experience selling GPL products.

3220 posts
    Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Located in United States Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

But this does illustrate the fact that Envato authors have no F’n clue what the GPL is, what it’s about or how it will or most likely won’t impact them.

You shouldn’t generalize many authors know exactly what GPL is about, as theres less than a 1% of authors posting in this thread.

Not sure why you’re so bitter about themeforest authors in general, but wouldn’t it be more proactive to educate without insulting people?

49 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
carlhancock says

But this does illustrate the fact that Envato authors have no F’n clue what the GPL is, what it’s about or how it will or most likely won’t impact them.

You shouldn’t generalize many authors know exactly what GPL is about, as theres less than a 1% of authors posting in this thread.

Not sure why you’re so bitter about themeforest authors, but wouldn’t it be more proactive to educate without insulting people?

Maybe you should refresh because I had edited my post to say “many”. I’m well aware not all authors don’t know what the GPL is because i’m friends with plenty of them.

I had copied and pasted from tweets where less characters can be used. I’m not bitter at all. I commented to educate those on here that had questions regarding Envato’s exclusivity and the GPL.

If I was bitter towards Envato I wouldn’t have said a damn thing and let everyone in here continue to debate something that has a simple answer.

Am I bitter towards SOME Envato authors? Sure. You would be to if your employees had to waste as much support time on a weekly basis due to poorly developed themes that came from ThemeForest as we have over the last 4+ years supporting Gravity Forms. But we report those themes as we encounter them to Japh to be pulled or corrected. But I certainly wish we didn’t have to waste so many man hours because a theme author is selling a poorly coded theme.

3220 posts
    Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Located in United States Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

Maybe you should refresh because I had edited my post to say “many”. I’m well aware not all authors don’t know what the GPL is because i’m friends with plenty of them.

I had copied and pasted from tweets where less characters can be used. I’m not bitter at all. I commented to educate those on here that had questions regarding Envato’s exclusivity and the GPL.

If I was bitter towards Envato I wouldn’t have said a damn thing and let everyone in here continue to debate something that has a simple answer.

Am I bitter towards SOME Envato authors? Sure. You would be to if your employees had to waste as much support time on a weekly basis due to poorly developed themes that came from ThemeForest as we have over the last 4+ years supporting Gravity Forms. But we report those themes as we encounter them to Japh to be pulled or corrected. But I certainly wish we didn’t have to waste so many man hours because a theme author is selling a poorly coded theme.

not here to pick a fight just stating a observation, I shouldn’t have to refresh you made the original statement and thats what I was replying too.

by
by
by
by
by
by