41 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
selvamanikandan says

Themeforest,

There are plenty of other authors who spent their whole time in here and even earn and maintain the standards of wordpress apart from “woo”. And there is no point to celebrate for “a new author” into themeforest. It may hurt the existing ppls.

Apart, I love woothemes.. they did some of the perfect templates in wordpress.

On-topic – 100% GPL -> so what was that?? :P:P:P

41 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
selvamanikandan says

just noted that do we have an option to give money back guarantee for buyers??

Themeforest,

There are plenty of other authors who spent their whole time in here and even earn and maintain the standards of wordpress apart from “woo”. And there is no point to celebrate for “a new author” into themeforest. It may hurt the existing ppls.

Apart, I love woothemes.. they did some of the perfect templates in wordpress.

On-topic – 100% GPL -> so what was that?? :P:P:P
1564 posts Chris Robinson
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
contempoinc says

Another thing what’s this 30 day money back guarantee Woo is advertising?

1479 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
+5 more
collis Staff says

Hey guys,

Some very valid points raised about why didn’t we launch with a homegrown author. I am completely sure we’ll have lots of our own make use of the new 100% GPL, but in this instance I really wanted to use the feature as a way to attract even more WordPress talent to set up on ThemeForest.

A big part of our strategy for ThemeForest has always been to make it the place to buy WordPress themes – which means having the largest range of high quality themes from great authors. This expands the buyer base which in turn is great for all authors.

A strong branded name like WooThemes is a great signal to other authors who may have shied away from ThemeForest because of the GPL question, that they should feel welcome and know that even the biggest names are happy to come on board.

That said, in retrospect I think we should have highlighted both Woo, and someone from our existing community. I think that would have been the right message, and was a bit of shortsightedness on my part. I apologise for that, and will definitely keep it in mind for anything like this in future.

With that said, I’m going to ask the community team to contact our top 20 authors to see if any are planning to make use of the new option, so we can highlight them when we send out this month’s EnvatoMail.

Thanks guys, hope that helps explain more. Certainly don’t want anyone thinking that preference goes to people from outside the community just because!!

3744 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
pezflash says

Sorry Collis, but i think i’m missing the point.
So past weeks has been lots of discussions about the GPL thingy not turning a market strategy for author and files, and now you are going to “highlight” the ones that opts for it?

That’s a strange way of “not forcing authors” (in Carmen words) to follow that path.

If Envato has concrete and important plans about GPL, at least we (authors) deserve some transparency.

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Reviewer
+1 more
Japh Staff says

Sorry Collis, but i think i’m missing the point.
So past weeks has been lots of discussions about the GPL thingy not turning a market strategy for author and files, and now you are going to “highlight” the ones that opts for it?

That’s a strange way of “not forcing authors” (in Carmen words) to follow that path.

If Envato has concrete and important plans about GPL, at least we (authors) deserve some transparency.

Often when something new is happening on ThemeForest, we’ll promote the fact that it’s happening and some authors are doing it. This doesn’t force other authors to follow suit.

We did a Notes post recently about app themes. This doesn’t mean all themes now need to become app themes. Now we announce the addition of the 100% GPL licensing option, so we also announce a new well-known author coming on board at the same time. This doesn’t mean everyone must choose the same option.

We’re letting potential new authors, who may have been holding back due to no GPL option, know that they needn’t hold back now :)

967 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+2 more
purethemes says

With that said, I’m going to ask the community team to contact our top 20 authors to see if any are planning to make use of the new option, so we can highlight them when we send out this month’s EnvatoMail.
Can’t wait to see how many of them will apply, I’m far from top20, but certainly not going to go for GPL until I see it in won’t hurt.

btw, how can woothemes have 152 sales already and no sales in portfolio? ;)

273 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
candeed says

... A strong branded name like WooThemes is a great signal to other authors who may have shied away from ThemeForest because of the GPL question, that they should feel welcome and know that even the biggest names are happy to come on board. That said, in retrospect I think we should have highlighted both Woo, and someone from our existing community. I think that would have been the right message, and was a bit of shortsightedness on my part. I apologise for that, and will definitely keep it in mind for anything like this in future..

Hi guys, the reason I linked to WooThemes was to give you an idea of who they are and what they do. They aren’t technically our competitors since they’ve joined forces with us…

Better see this licenses option (and new strong-branded Wp theme company) matter as simple as the nature of creative business… It’s just a good business where everybody wins…

Take a look at big pop music marketplaces as example.. Various record labels and various artists like The Beatles, Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, etc sell their musics on different marketplaces..

It’s so natural… Win-win solution for everyone… Authors, publishers, and buyers…

I believe licenses option and new big player(s) who come and join ‘the Envato league’ is a good progress for the community.

:grin:

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Reviewer
+1 more
Japh Staff says

btw, how can woothemes have 152 sales already and no sales in portfolio? ;)

WooThemes used to sell non-WordPress items on ThemeForest, which they removed some time ago. The sales you see are from those items.

5277 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says

Take a look at big pop music marketplaces as example.. Various record labels and various artists like The Beatles, Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, etc sell their musics on different marketplaces.. It’s so natural… Win-win solution for everyone… Authors, publishers, and buyers…

The big difference is this. Pretend iTunes only offered Beatles albums individually, yet Amazon offered buyers the option to download all albums at a big discount. There certainly wouldn’t be a link in iTunes driving traffic to the Amazon deal :winktongue:

by
by
by
by
by
by