• Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Power Elite Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
ThemeFusion says

Without getting into my full opinion, I can certainly agree with what Kriesi said. And I would imagine 99% of authors here will not opt for GPL, it would be crazy to do that in my opinion. But as Collis stated, it’s certainly a personal, philosophical decision.

On a different note, something that I feel is important and needs to change is the way the 100% GPL items are displayed. Right now you can barely tell the difference between which is GPL and which is not.

And no, I’m not talking about promoting the GPL more, but right now it’s very hard for the average buyer to see if its GPL or not. Both say “REGULAR LICENSE” as the main heading … Then below that in tiny print it says 100% GPL.

I don’t think they should be promoted any differently, but I don’t think it should say regular license either because what will end up happening is buyers will start thinking all of them are GPL since the GPL and non GPL items both look identical except for the small copy below the standard “Regular License” heading and blurb.

Just a thought …

Luke

6 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
klasikweb says

Hi,

We are no problem with GPL license since we already sell GPL themes and a lot themeshop also sell GPL themes.

What we need to know is why woothemes is special on themeforest?

1) They are non-exclusive author but got special rate, since it classified but maybe 70% or 100%? who knows?

We also want to sell GPL themes on themeforest with special rate but still can sell our themes on our own site. Can we apply for special rate?

2) Our wordpress themes was rejected with standard feedback from reviewer: “Your template does not provide a unique enough design with the necessary design quality, features and options to compete in the marketplace at this time. As higher quality templates become available in the marketplace, approval requirements will increase to maintain appropriate marketplace quality.

But when we see the woothemes themes, why those themes can be accepted?

Their themes is not bad, the design is good but still it “does not provide a unique enough design… ...to compete in the marketplace at this time.” as reviewer said.

thanks

1487 posts AEdorde.com - After Effects Projects
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
dorde says

Nothing. I deleted my post.

82 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
GJThemes says

Thank you for the answer, Japh!
Legally I know I have every right to do so, but I just want to know what’s Envato’s stance on this ?

Hey Kris, I imagine we’d have to take these on a case by case basis. It would really depend on the specific scenario whether we believed the agreement had been breached.

As far as the GPL goes you may legally have every right to do so, but as far as the exclusivity agreement goes, they’re not the same.

They are not the same but they are definitely in conflict.

I said this in another posting elsewhere that If Envato wanted to include 100% GPL, they should have done all this as a separate marketplace site dedicated strictly to 100% GPL themes and authors only. It should really be kept separate from Theme Forest….as you can see the result.

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Reviewer
+1 more
Japh Staff says

What we need to know is why woothemes is special on themeforest?

As Collis explained at the beginning, WooThemes were chosen as the launch partner for the new 100% GPL option, as they are a known and established theme shop who have embraced 100% GPL. This helps to encourage others who haven’t joined TF due to the lack of a 100% GPL option that they now have the chance to join.

1) They are non-exclusive author but got special rate, since it classified but maybe 70% or 100%? who knows? We also want to sell GPL themes on themeforest with special rate but still can sell our themes on our own site. Can we apply for special rate?

As Collis also mentioned at the beginning of this thread, we do have a Special Rates policy which we added to the knowledgebase some years ago.

273 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
candeed says

Which Part of All These Changes Which Steal Something from Author ?

As long as there’s nothing which take authors’ freedom away then everything’s okay.

What is the problem ? Creatives and real artists are not afraid with competition.

The same as Woo (and other WordPress developers).. Envato authors are totally free to be whatever they want.

They are free to be ‘un-exclusive authors’ and sell their stuffs on their own site..

They can re-brand their products (so they can be as popular as Woo)..

If authors don’t have enough money, they can start saving their TF earning or find investors.

If authors don’t have enough human resources, they can collaborate with other.

If their themes are good and best-selling, authors can make a proposal to ask Envato to give higher commision rate percentage.

82 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
GJThemes says

After reading the whole thread i have to say I have never seen a better example for the saying: “the way to hell is paved with good intentions”. Lets recap:

What Envato wanted to do:

Did I miss anything? Seems like a classic lose/lose/lose situation :P

By the way I am not really thrilled either by the fact that someone who abandoned the marketplace a few years back now gets a better deal than the authors who stayed and helped growing it. I can see that its sometimes necessary to bend or break the rules but I simply dont see why this is the case here.

Amazingly, that covers it within a nutshell. I said this before, that if Envato wanted to do pursue this, they should have created a new marketplace website for 100% GPL specific authors and themes only and kept it separate from TF.

Anyway, I see you as the lead author at TF (a respectable one at that), and your insight into this fiasco is definitely on the mark.

6 posts
  • Exclusive Author
klasikweb says

As Collis explained at the beginning, WooThemes were chosen as the launch partner for the new 100% GPL option, as they are a known and established theme shop who have embraced 100% GPL. This helps to encourage others who haven’t joined TF due to the lack of a 100% GPL option that they now have the chance to join. As Collis also mentioned at the beginning of this thread, we do have a Special Rates policy which we added to the knowledgebase some years ago.

Ok, we understand.

14 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
gcrick says

There have been a lot of ‘heavy weight’ elite authors unhappy and expressing concern, along with authors still making thousands of sales right down to me, 1st post, not quite published a theme yet, but working on one/inspired by others!

Now I wonder how many sales that adds up to in total – i.e. how many dollars are backing their arguments/opinions.

Wish I had enough time to work it out, but its got to be in the millions!

Now why would Envato not want to consult those big authors – are they not the lifeblood, their main source of revenue, possibly the biggest stakeholders in the company.

An email along the lines of “Hey, this is what we’re proposing …. take your option seriously …. what do’ya think?”

77 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • New Zealand
ChunkStudio says

Nothing. I deleted my post.

I totally disagree with everything you’ve not said there.

by
by
by
by
by
by