• Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+1 more
doru says

On a different note, something that I feel is important and needs to change is the way the 100% GPL items are displayed. Right now you can barely tell the difference between which is GPL and which is not.

finally! thank you! how the license is displayed is important.

looks like envato introduced this license to show the worpress creators and community that it understand their points, not saying they are right at 100% but to give them a proof of the good faith of the marketplace.

It doesn’t make sense to place the license in the smallest type of font under the regular license with a text that explains that the rest of the license gets void. License terms agreement that no one actually reads.

Is an important move for the wordpress community and for the marketplace, make this gpl a fully license along those already implemented on the marketplace. There is no point in hiding it.

488 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+3 more
pixelentity says

There is less chance for a buyer to find single theme that fits for 3+ consequent website projects. Any regular buyer on TF wont feel ease with tinkering single design to fit multiple websites; while they can just find most matching one for another 30-50 dollars. But for plugins, the multi use possibility is very high (ex: menus, sliders etc). And also invested time on researching a plugin features/options/compatibility testing going to be utilized for future works for sure. I pointed from that perspective.
That’s true for buyers handling their own site but we have a lot of web agencies who use TF to provide their client cheap packages. In case of general / minimal themes, the look of the site can change a lot by using different content, not to mention most of them have multiple skins and color/font options right in the admin panel.

The chances for them to reuse the same theme again and again are high imho (50$ isn’t that low if they resell for 150-300). Unlike plugins, which may require js/css hacks to fit a site, turnkey themes with a lot of features, generally offer a much pain less experience for the setup.

In the above scenario, the GPL could play a big role, not being limited by the “single use” clause like the Regular license.

BF

217 posts Premium Website Design
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Power Elite Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
ThemeFusion says

On a different note, something that I feel is important and needs to change is the way the 100% GPL items are displayed. Right now you can barely tell the difference between which is GPL and which is not.

finally! thank you! how the license is displayed is important.

looks like envato introduced this license to show the worpress creators and community that it understand their points, not saying they are right at 100% but to give them a proof of the good faith of the marketplace.

It doesn’t make sense to place the license in the smallest type of font under the regular license with a text that explains that the rest of the license gets void. License terms agreement that no one actually reads.

Is an important move for the wordpress community and for the marketplace, make this gpl a fully license along those already implemented on the marketplace. There is no point in hiding it.

100% agree … this is extremely important and needs to be addressed by Envato staff

135 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
ait says

If terms are the same for Regular license and 100% GPL license, what’s the benefit for the author to sell the theme as 100% GPL?

People from wordpress community are suggesting that you should charge for support and updates. But if you sell 100% GPL licensed theme here on themeforest, you cannot charge for support nor updates. You sell a license and then you need to support and update the theme forever for free. No support fees, subscription fees, absolutely no difference to split licensed theme.

488 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • United Kingdom
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
PixelBuffet says

That was something I was wondering about with Woo actually.

A while back they changed their payment structure because they said they were losing money on quite a few customers. Some people would use the same theme over and over as a starting point framework for their clients, meaning support queries all the time, for only 1 purchase. Over the years, the costs were mounting up.

To combat this, they’ve changed so that support and updates are only offered for 1 year, after that you have to purchase another license. What approach are they taking for the sales they get here, is it support for life (in which case their customers might be better off buying through TF) or have they found a way around that?

541 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

That was something I was wondering about with Woo actually.

A while back they changed their payment structure because they said they were losing money on quite a few customers. Some people would use the same theme over and over as a starting point framework for their clients, meaning support queries all the time, for only 1 purchase. Over the years, the costs were mounting up.

To combat this, they’ve changed so that support and updates are only offered for 1 year, after that you have to purchase another license. What approach are they taking for the sales they get here, is it support for life (in which case their customers might be better off buying through TF) or have they found a way around that?

The need for paid updates has been raised before: http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/oped-mac-app-store-needs-paid-upgrades-themeforest-needs-paid-upgrades/62268

419 posts
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
iHelp says

if you sell 100% GPL licensed theme here on themeforest, you cannot charge for support nor updates. You sell a license and then you need to support and update the theme forever for free. No support fees, subscription fees, absolutely no difference to split licensed theme.

That’s not true, unless it’s sarcasm.

488 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
+3 more
pixelentity says

if you sell 100% GPL licensed theme here on themeforest, you cannot charge for support nor updates. You sell a license and then you need to support and update the theme forever for free. No support fees, subscription fees, absolutely no difference to split licensed theme.

why not true ? that’s how TF works. In theory you could charge an extra for the support but i don’t think you would be allowed to advertise such service here.

419 posts
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
iHelp says

why not true ? that’s how TF works. In theory you could charge an extra for the support but i don’t think you would be allowed to advertise such service here.

In this particular case ait was saying “if the product is free, you have to support and update for free – for a lifetime” – it was not about bluntly advertising “free product – paid service”.

I don’t see the logic behind having to support a product for free forever – when support is not even obligated due to tf policy? Am I misunderstanding or being misunderstood?

138 posts
  • Europe
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
x4er0 says

hm.. I think about this and ok, I understand. No one is forcing us to change to GPL license. But the problem is GPL License and Exclusive author. What if i going with my item to another marketplace ? No one can prove that I sell on second marketplace. In my opinion: GPL License=You can’t be Exclusive Author.

by
by
by
by
by
by