• Power Elite Author
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Austria
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+4 more
Kriesi says

if you sell 100% GPL licensed theme here on themeforest, you cannot charge for support nor updates. You sell a license and then you need to support and update the theme forever for free. No support fees, subscription fees, absolutely no difference to split licensed theme.
That’s not true, unless it’s sarcasm.
why not true ? that’s how TF works. In theory you could charge an extra for the support but i don’t think you would be allowed to advertise such service here.

In this particular case ait was saying “if the product is free, you have to support and update for free – for a lifetime” – it was not about bluntly advertising “free product – paid service”.

I don’t see the logic behind having to support a product for free forever – when support is not even obligated due to tf policy? Am I misunderstanding or being misunderstood?

I am with you on that one. You definitely dont need to do any support for your themes, either GPL or no GPL. GPL only says that the customer can do whatever he wants with the theme, and not that the author needs to support it or is not allowed to support it for an additional fee.

Pretty sure if you want to charge for access to your support forum thats fine. The real question is: how much competitive edge do you lose if basically every other author on TF offers Support for free? :)

217 posts Premium Website Design
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Power Elite Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
ThemeFusion says

We’ve actually seen many authors offer the regular “free” service but then offer a more “advanced” paid service for support on their forums. This actually makes a lot of sense because many users need support above and beyond what the normal “free” level is for. I have no idea how successfully it is, but I have seen it done a few times.

On a different note, I realized that I forgot to welcome Woo Themes to TF. With all the other hoopla going on I feel bad for not welcoming them with open arms. I apologize. I know lots of people are in an uproar over some things but it should be set aside to welcome them to thriving community. So …

Welcome to Themeforest Woo Themes! We wish you the best of luck!

Luke

9 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United Kingdom
krapka says

tell me please, why my picture (http://www.mediafire.com/view/?myfiles#aobrjuc4t2frtn6) does not appear in my description? Thank You.

4019 posts Community Team
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Community Ambassador
  • Envato Staff
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Australia
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+4 more
Dzinc Staff says

tell me please, why my picture (http://www.mediafire.com/view/?myfiles#aobrjuc4t2frtn6) does not appear in my description? Thank You.

Hi krapka, use this URL instead: http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/0b0c/aobrjuc4t2frtn6fg.jpg
In the future, please create a new thread for off-topic questions, as this one is pertinent to GPL. Thanks!

5075 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

based on what Kriesi said above.

Does GPL mean ( for themes ) that 3rd parties can charge clients for customising themes, bought from other authors.

2211 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+4 more
crozer says

Woah, I’ve missed a lot here. From what I can see, though, this will happen:

1. I create a product under the GPL license, 2. I create another account, pretend to be a buyer, and buy my own product, 3. Re-sell it wherever I want, because essentially, I have purchased a GPL-licensed product. 4. I make extra profit, and TF’s Exclusivity has no meaning whatsoever anymore.

972 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
aaranmcguire says

Woah, I’ve missed a lot here. From what I can see, though, this will happen: 1. I create a product under the GPL license, 2. I create another account, pretend to be a buyer, and buy my own product, 3. Re-sell it wherever I want, because essentially, I have purchased a GPL-licensed product. 4. I make extra profit, and TF’s Exclusivity has no meaning whatsoever anymore.

Haha, I never thought of it like that…

5277 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says

Woah, I’ve missed a lot here. From what I can see, though, this will happen: 1. I create a product under the GPL license, 2. I create another account, pretend to be a buyer, and buy my own product, 3. Re-sell it wherever I want, because essentially, I have purchased a GPL-licensed product. 4. I make extra profit, and TF’s Exclusivity has no meaning whatsoever anymore.

The members terms were updated recently to state that you can’t buy your own items, so technically this wouldn’t be possible.

Does GPL mean ( for themes ) that 3rd parties can charge clients for customising themes, bought from other authors.

Yes. GPL just means you can reuse/remix the code into your own work. Charging a client for a service is separate.

On a different note, I realized that I forgot to welcome Woo Themes to TF. With all the other hoopla going on I feel bad for not welcoming them with open arms. I apologize. I know lots of people are in an uproar over some things but it should be set aside to welcome them to thriving community. So … Welcome to Themeforest Woo Themes! We wish you the best of luck!

+1

Pretty sure if you want to charge for access to your support forum thats fine. The real question is: how much competitive edge do you lose if basically every other author on TF offers Support for free?

I think it depends on how large your business is. I used to always offer 100% free support but have found myself in a pickle lately: Not large enough to afford support staff, yet large enough to where 100% free support takes up too much of my day. I recently created a support policy to try and find a balance, and it’s working out well so far, but if I could afford support staff that would definitely be my first choice.

2211 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
+4 more
crozer says

The members terms were updated recently to state that you can’t buy your own items, so technically this wouldn’t be possible.

I’ll tell a good friend to buy it from me and re-sell. We then share the profits. This is just one way of a billion other ways to quasi-legally bend the system.

488 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
PixelBuffet says

Yes, in theory. But…

To make it not so obvious what you’re doing, you’d need to operate under a different brand and use different support forums. Otherwise Envato would pick it up pretty fast and then you’d be done for on these marketplaces, and let’s be honest – you’d earn a lot more here than on your own site.

So who is going to buy from the unknown brand totally unconnected to the theme author? My guess is no one, unless of course you undercut the theme author (i.e. yourself) – which is a sound business idea! Good luck supporting the people too cheap to pay full price for a theme, those guys are the worst! :p

Oh, you won’t offer support on the second account? So now you’re competing with the pirates, who give it for free… that’s a tough market to get into when you’re trying to make money.

It sucks to be the copyright holder and also the only one restricted in how you can distribute your files, but this is Envato’s house and they make the rules. There isn’t really a conflict here.

by
by
by
by
by
by