• Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Won a Competition
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
PixelBuffet says

I have one question: Why would an author use 100% GPL for his/her item?
It’s not really a business decision (unless you’re being strong-armed by the WPF, then it kind of is!) – mostly it’s a philosophical one, as Collis said. WordPress is GPL, which is what has allowed us all to use it to do what we want with it and underpin our own businesses and livelihoods. If you believe in that license, and believe in the community – then full GPL is a way of passing on the same freedoms that wordpress afforded you.

Not all copies are malicious. For example, WooCommerce is an awesome platform that came about because they ‘stole’ the code from JigoShop – yet a year on, it is arguably a much better product. Yes, one author (JigoWatt) might feel unfairly treated by this, but as a community and as a software platform – we’ve benefited. The great thing about GPL is that JigoWatt could now take the latest work done on WooCommerce and call it JigoShop v2.0 and start modifying it to suit them and their users.

I don’t think it is for everyone, and i don’t think people should feel forced into it – but unfortunately Matt has a very strong opinion on Wordpress and the GPL and if you want to be heavily involved in the community, then you’ve really got to go full GPL.

101 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
pjtops says

I have one question: Why would an author use 100% GPL for his/her item?

If what you’re really selling is a service rather than a product – then it makes sense. Give the item out for free, and charge them for support and extras.

616 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
ChapterThemes says

Great answers! Thank you all.

I get the idea behind it :)

253 posts Mad Dog
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+1 more
mad_dog says

Thanks for clearing things up. The only thing I do not understand is the quality of the products. My recent theme was soft rejected because of the timthimb use and I spent one more day to change the way to work with the images. The woothemes themes have timthumb http://demo2.woothemes.com/pixelpress/wp-content/themes/pixelpress/functions/thumb.php Where is the truth? You claim they pass the same review process as we do, then why our themes are rejected?

5313 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

WooCommerce is an awesome platform that came about because they ‘stole’ the code from JigoShop

lol

1377 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Slovenia
Anps says

I know design itself is very subjective, but how can you explain some themes oldish design, which normally would never pass getting trough?

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
Japh Staff says

Thanks for clearing things up. The only thing I do not understand is the quality of the products. My recent theme was soft rejected because of the timthimb use and I spent one more day to change the way to work with the images. The woothemes themes have timthumb http://demo2.woothemes.com/pixelpress/wp-content/themes/pixelpress/functions/thumb.php Where is the truth? You claim they pass the same review process as we do, then why our themes are rejected?

As Collis said in his post:

Aside from the release timing, yes they did [go through the usual review process]. But from what I understand we didn’t do a super job of it!

In terms of the other pieces of the review process, from what I understand we seem to have missed some things that we catch in review normally. There was a normal process of submission, soft rejections and so on. I’ve chatted with Jarel our Review Manager who is investigating what went wrong and starting a re-review of the WooThemes items.

So we are aware that some things slipped through, and we are re-reviewing the themes now.

7208 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

So we are aware that some things slipped through, and we are re-reviewing the themes now.

isn’t the rule to soft reject/remove items from marketplace till they get pass the review process again?

there was an author, just a couple of day ago, who got his theme removed from the marketplace because it had a slight bug that needed to be fixed (about the menu not showing correctly when the width of page was under a certain dimension)

if we speak about “fair” and “rules apply to anyone at the same level” then all woothemes that have issues should be removed and the reviewer should inform them about the problem and wait for an update before posting the themes again on marketplace if the theme pass the review check.

As I said in the thread made by that author if there is a small bug themes should remain on sale while the author provides an update. But the policy had been to remove that item not waiting for the author

So, if woothemes are not removed you are just showing another example of how review rules are not the same for everyone.

77 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • New Zealand
ChunkStudio says
What is tricky is that theoretically the buyer can use GPL to sell the item somewhere else making the item no longer exclusively available through ThemeForest. This is an important consideration that authors need to factor in when choosing to use the 100% GPL option.

Bit of a game changer I’d say.

We are aware that some things slipped through, and we are re-reviewing the themes now.

As a regular buyer, this is a bit of a worry.

1731 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+3 more
FinalDestiny says

isn’t the rule to soft reject/remove items from marketplace till they get pass the review process again?

there was an author, just a couple of day ago, who got his theme removed from the marketplace because it had a slight bug that needed to be fixed (about the menu not showing correctly when the width of page was under a certain dimension)

if we speak about “fair” and “rules apply to anyone at the same level” then all woothemes that have issues should be removed and the reviewer should inform them about the problem and wait for an update before posting the themes again on marketplace if the theme pass the review check.

As I said in the thread made by that author if there is a small bug themes should remain on sale while the author provides an update. But the policy had been to remove that item not waiting for the author

So, if woothemes are not removed you are just showing another example of how review rules are not the same for everyone.

It’s obvious that the same rules don’t apply to everyone, there are way too many things that are not ok in their themes, timthumb, some of them with old design that got accepted instantly, they had their own bar promoting their themes, now there’s no demo link.

Unprofessional job guys, very unprofessional. Not talking about the fact that you probably give then the same percentage as elites while they sell the very same items on their website. You promote a stranger instead of using your own loyal authors to do this, this is lack of respect to all of the authors here, especially the elites and the old ones.

by
by
by
by
by
by