• Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
Japh Staff says

isn’t the rule to soft reject/remove items from marketplace till they get pass the review process again?

That is usually the case, yes, though we also verify the issues before we disable items.

It’s obvious that the same rules don’t apply to everyone, there are way too many things that are not ok in their themes, timthumb, some of them with old design that got accepted instantly, they had their own bar promoting their themes, now there’s no demo link.

You promote a stranger instead of using your own loyal authors to do this, this is lack of respect to all of the authors here, especially the elites and the old ones.

Please read Collis’ original post on this thread, which addresses everything you’ve mentioned here.

1999 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+4 more
bitfade says

What is tricky is that theoretically the buyer can use GPL to sell the item somewhere else making the item no longer exclusively available through ThemeForest.
That buyer could just be another author making some extra bucks by selling competitor themes on is own site or using another new/existing marketplace not caring about who’s the author since theme is GPL. It could also be a “friend” of the original author.

Both cases, Envato could not
- revoke exclusive author benefits since there’s no terms violation.
- ensure that GPL themes are TF exclusive.

To be honest I’d like to believe that no marketplace worth their salt would allow someone other than the creator of a theme or plugin to sell it. Certainly at ThemeForest we would prohibit anyone trying such a thing.

That happens a lot here already and, so far, envato has always required DMCA takedown notices from the original author before taking any action. How you plan to deal with GPL themes copycats for which DMCA has no meaning ?

31 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
OhKube says

Thanks for clearing things up. The only thing I do not understand is the quality of the products. My recent theme was soft rejected because of the timthimb use and I spent one more day to change the way to work with the images. The woothemes themes have timthumb http://demo2.woothemes.com/pixelpress/wp-content/themes/pixelpress/functions/thumb.php Where is the truth? You claim they pass the same review process as we do, then why our themes are rejected?

As Collis said in his post:

Aside from the release timing, yes they did [go through the usual review process]. But from what I understand we didn’t do a super job of it!

In terms of the other pieces of the review process, from what I understand we seem to have missed some things that we catch in review normally. There was a normal process of submission, soft rejections and so on. I’ve chatted with Jarel our Review Manager who is investigating what went wrong and starting a re-review of the WooThemes items.
So we are aware that some things slipped through, and we are re-reviewing the themes now.

Saying you are aware that ’’some things slipped through’’ is really dodging the issue and sugar coating a rather serious slap in the face to all creators on TF. It is pretty obvious the themes were barely reviewed if at all. I have seen some great themes rejected for the tiniest detail yet it seems the themes in question were approved with extremely obvious flaws that would get anyone else instantly rejected.

I think its great you guys are going to review the themes ‘again’ but is it so hard to just admit you put your faith in Woothemes and trusted their reputation and it backfired. It is really no big deal, mistakes happen.

1748 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+3 more
FinalDestiny says

So the logic is:

If you use 100% GPL and you’re exclusive, EVERYONE ELSE is allowed to sell and redistribute your files ANYWHERE, but YOU, the author of it, are not allowed to do so.

Good logic, LOL.

100% GPL should imply non-exclusive, there’s no way Envato can know if someone is selling their themes elsewhere or not.

7279 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
+1 more
doru says

That is usually the case, yes

This is the problem. With “normally” we do it like this but then “in some cases we do an exception”

We love this marketplace and we respect the staff and their decisions. I can safely speak for all authors when I’m saying that we all want the marketplace to be successful so we can all earn a lot of money.

What I personally don’t like is to be treated as an idiot. The staff continue to say everyone is treated equally and rules and stuff, but then they do some exceptions while at the same time they keep saying everyone is equal.

I respect the rules but don’t try to fool me by saying the rules apply to everyone. This new author “woothemes” looks like is more important than exclusive authors and also elite authors. Is really a big slap in the face of your loyal authors that got the marketplace to this point.

Those themes need to be removed till the authors update them.

5454 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

fmd $60 bucks ! , seems someones bending over backwards to please a player.

I reckon this could be the worse move Envato have made

7279 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+1 more
doru says

I think its great you guys are going to review the themes ‘again’ but is it so hard to just admit you put your faith in Woothemes and trusted their reputation and it backfired. It is really no big deal, mistakes happen.

Absolutely. Is what happened. envato trusted them but they got themes under the standard of the marketplace and a very bad behavior of redirecting themeforest customers to their marketplace.

I’m sure Collis was in good faith but a good relation is made from both sides.

539 posts
  • Estonia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
kriskorn says

I have a hypothetical question which I would like to be answered by someone on the staff.

I got that the 100% GPL License & Exclusivity aren’t tied together already yesterday. Now the hypothetical part… If I were to release a GPL WordPress Theme from this account and started a company with my good friend. Now my friend wants to use the theme I am selling here for a client. He/She buys the theme and is also now offering this theme for sale on our company’s website.

A simple question – would this break the GPL & Exclusivty Terms or not and if it breaks them, then please can you tell me how ?

Thank you,
Kris

1748 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+3 more
FinalDestiny says

I have a hypothetical question which I would like to be answered by someone on the staff.

I got that the 100% GPL License & Exclusivity aren’t tied together already yesterday. Now the hypothetical part… If I were to release a GPL WordPress Theme from this account and started a company with my good friend. Now my friend wants to use the theme I am selling here for a client. He/She buys the theme and is also now offering this theme for sale on our company’s website.

A simple question – would this break the GPL & Exclusivty Terms or not and if it breaks them, then please can you tell me how ?

Thank you,
Kris

Legally, it doesn’t. Your company is another entity, while you(on ThemeForest) are a normal person. Even if you’re behind that company, a company != a person.

619 posts
  • Exclusive Author
ChapterThemes says

Thank you,
Kris
Legally, it doesn’t. Your company is another entity, while you(on ThemeForest) are a normal person. Even if you’re behind that company, a company != a person.

Not always, if you’re a freelancer working under company name then you and the company are the same.

by
by
by
by
by
by