• Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
designcrumbs says

Also, on a seperate point. I think your ‘home-grown’ author should be DesignCrumbs (jake). His themes are now 100% GPL and he was the driving force behind the change.
+1 that motion.

Also great idea about DesignCrumbs being the featured author for EnvatoMail, a nice closing of the loop so to speak!

Wow, thanks guys! I’m constantly amazed by our community. I was just drinking my morning coffee while reading what happened overnight (for me) and then I see the community “nominating” me. It was a pleasant surprise. :smitten:

67 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
SmoothThemes says

If you use 100% GPL and you’re exclusive, EVERYONE ELSE is allowed to sell and redistribute your files ANYWHERE, but YOU, the author of it, are not allowed to do so.
Collis please clear this thing for me.
Thanks so much.
5541 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

If you use 100% GPL and you’re exclusive, EVERYONE ELSE is allowed to sell and redistribute your files ANYWHERE, but YOU, the author of it, are not allowed to do so.
Collis please clear this thing for me.
Thanks so much.

Probably a philosophical question :P

I guess since both exclusivity and full GPL license are given/available as choice for author in the following combination, it is upto the author to find an answer / solution:

1. Exclusive + Split License
2. Exclusive + 100% GPL
3. Non Exclusive + Split License
4. Non Exclusive + 100% GPL

Case #2 means the author wants the benefits of exclusivity program here while also prefers 100% GPL. So it just becomes a matter of perspective whether we see a) original authors rights obscured or b) it was original author’s selection.

As long as none of the above 4 combination achieved by forcing authors, there is no conflict (for example, WordPress asking Envato to give exclusive authors to sell same theme on other places to embrace GPL). There is no chance for introducing 5th combination to tweak something. Atleast this is my understanding.

6762 posts
  • Italy
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+1 more
doru says

Wow, thanks guys! I’m constantly amazed by our community. I was just drinking my morning coffee while reading what happened overnight (for me) and then I see the community “nominating” me. It was a pleasant surprise. :smitten:

I see that some of your themes are now gpl. Can you explain more why you chosen to use this license?

612 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Austria
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+4 more
Kriesi says

I see that some of your themes are now gpl. Can you explain more why you chosen to use this license?
Because he wants to participate in WordCamps:) http://wpdaily.co/org-envato/
185 posts I'm a Husky Designer
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • United States
designcrumbs says

All of my WP themes are GPL now.

This is the license that most of the WP community backs, and I want to be part of that community. Participating in things like WordCamps is important to me. The WordPress Foundation was clear that WordPress was built 100% GPL so they want all derivatives to be GPL, and I have no problem with that.

Personally, I don’t see much difference between the split license and GPL in practice. Sure, GPL allows users to redistribute my items, but lets face it, that was being done anyway.

1312 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • United Kingdom
  • Attended a Community Meetup
+3 more
LGLab says

All of my WP themes are GPL now.

This is the license that most of the WP community backs, and I want to be part of that community. Participating in things like WordCamps is important to me. The WordPress Foundation was clear that WordPress was built 100% GPL so they want all derivatives to be GPL, and I have no problem with that.

Personally, I don’t see much difference between the split license and GPL in practice. Sure, GPL allows users to redistribute my items, but lets face it, that was being done anyway.

Ok but they were redistributed illegally and for free, you wouldn’t have a problem with someone legally buying a license of your theme and reselling it for half the price for example?

Anyway, I’m starting to understand why people would want to use the GPL license, fair enough, and I don’t think that would affect the marketplace.

626 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
Dream-Theme says

@LGLab I’m sure that you know that each end every theme from TF can be downloaded and used free from “specialized” sites :D

@designcrumbs Can you please share sales dynamics changes when it’ll be available? I’m not talking about absolute numbers – only dynamics. Maybe in month or couple of month. Thanks!

3744 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
+5 more
pezflash says

Yeap, but now will be legal and users will know (i guess). So, unless i (as a user) want your tech support, i’ll be getting your theme for free anywhere else. So this ends up with a tricky question: will Envato turns into a “support system” marketplace? If the answer is yes (time will say) will be one of the most surrealist business moves on net, considering what we have heard about the esence of Envato over the years.

612 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Austria
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+4 more
Kriesi says

After reading the whole thread i have to say I have never seen a better example for the saying: “the way to hell is paved with good intentions”. Lets recap:

What Envato wanted to do:

• Offer Authors the possibility to sell their themes under 100% GPL. Makes GPL Advocates and Matt Mullenweg happy. Authors can now finally speak again at WordCamps: http://wpdaily.co/org-envato/
  • Draw some attention to the fact that 100% GPL is supported now by inviting WooThemes to the marketplace
  • Grow the marketplace by adding the Woo Theme Library.

In theory that sounds all good. How it tuned out:

• Neither a lot of authors nor customers care about or understand the 100% GPL. Lots of confusion.
  • Authors are unhappy because:
    1. there is a new big direct competitor who gets a better deal out of this than any of the authors sticking to the marketplaces for the last years
    2. this competitor gets 30 themes approved that should not have been approved for reasons already mentioned
  • WooThemes is unhappy because:
    1. They get bashed big time by half of the forum. Hardly a nice welcome.
    2. They dont sell very much on themeforest although receiveing a lot of attention. So lots of extra work with submitting themes, integrating envato api into their forum registration etc, and no extra income?
  • Envato is unhappy because:
    1. They made their authors unhapy and now have to deal with a bazillion forum threads were everyone is complaining
    2. 100% GPL was supposed to be a great deal, but is hardly acknowledged because of the introduction-fiasco of WooThemes
    3. WooThemes with their 30 Themes doesnt make any money for them. Either because customers dont like the themes (indication that the review preocess was indeed “slopy”) or because all of the sales are happening directly at the WooThemes website. Whatever the case might be, it doesnt help envato grow.

Did I miss anything? Seems like a classic lose/lose/lose situation :P

By the way I am not really thrilled either by the fact that someone who abandoned the marketplace a few years back now gets a better deal than the authors who stayed and helped growing it. I can see that its sometimes necessary to bend or break the rules but I simply dont see why this is the case here.

by
by
by
by
by
by