626 posts
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+9 more
Kriesi says

I can see that its sometimes necessary to bend or break the rules but I simply dont see why this is the case here.
and woothemes they get this harsh welcome for a good reason. one shouldn’t forget they put a big button on their themes that redirects themeforest buyers to their marketplace where they offer a way better deal in terms of quantity to make up for the themes quality. This is really unforgivable and it was made on purpose. There is no “mistake” involved. So the harsh welcome is justified.

Since they were invited by Envato maybe they didn’t know about the restrictions or thought it is part of the deal to ignore them. In any case, if I were WooThemes I would of course link to my existing live preview and website to try to drive traffic to my site.

Until proven otherwise I will give them the benefit of the doubt, since I sure as hell did not know that you are not allowed to advertise your own “marketplace” even if you are not exclusive. Reading the terms of use solves that but who on earth does that? ;D

So overall I dont feel that this harsh welcome is justified. They simply built their landing pages and themes according to what they thought was best for them. It was Envatos fault to not review the items and pages thoroughly enough, especially when you think about the statement that they were submitted some time ago and were held back until the 100% GPL is in place. Plenty of time for Envato to educate WooThemes about their mistakes.

5950 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

So overall I dont feel that this harsh welcome is justified. They simply built their landing pages and themes according to what they thought was best for them. It was Envatos fault to not review the items and pages thoroughly enough, especially when you think about the statement that they were submitted some time ago and were held back until the 100% GPL is in place. Plenty of time for Envato to educate WooThemes about their mistakes.

Exactly. It is Envato’s fault of not having a rough review on woothemes portfolio before inviting them here. Definitly not woothemes mistake. Also I don’t see how the marketplace review manager can be blamed (or responsible) here while the decision of inviting woothemes made by other staffs prior to reviewing items.

7372 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

Since they were invited by Envato maybe they didn’t know about the restrictions or thought it is part of the deal to ignore them. In any case, if I were WooThemes I would of course link to my existing live preview and website to try to drive traffic to my site. Until proven otherwise I will give them the benefit of the doubt, since I sure as hell did not know that you are not allowed to advertise your own “marketplace” even if you are not exclusive. Reading the terms of use solves that but who on earth does that? ;D

Definitly not woothemes mistake.

you probably didn’t see their previews. Let me sum up. When you pressed the preview button there was the themeforest banner at the top with the purchase button. But then there was another banner from woothemes with another purchase button. If you clicked on the second one you get redirected to a page that offers different solutions to purchase the theme from woothemes website. Any of those solutions was better than the price you paid on themeforest. The themeforest banner remained displayed. In my opinion this would had created confusion, like give the impression that themeforest is a partner in that offer. Also is wrong, not morally correct from whatever point of view you can take this

There is a big difference in linking to your website, and authors are allowed to do it in their profile page for support and such, but there is another level to trick buyers in buying from you instead of the marketplace. And in fact, the marketplace rules clearly forbids this behavior and for a good reason.

I don’t think it was part of the deal with envato, else envato would had not disabled the items previews. Note that is not envato fault here if woothemes did this move.

And they knew about this rule, first they were authors here in the past and that rule I’m sure was present at the time. Also is a standard rule for every marketplace out there, and since they have a marketplace they clearly know about this.

264 posts What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Prothemeus says

Kriesi +1

626 posts
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+9 more
Kriesi says

Since they were invited by Envato maybe they didn’t know about the restrictions or thought it is part of the deal to ignore them. In any case, if I were WooThemes I would of course link to my existing live preview and website to try to drive traffic to my site. Until proven otherwise I will give them the benefit of the doubt, since I sure as hell did not know that you are not allowed to advertise your own “marketplace” even if you are not exclusive. Reading the terms of use solves that but who on earth does that? ;D

Definitly not woothemes mistake.

you probably didn’t see their previews. Let me sum up. When you pressed the preview button there was the themeforest banner at the top with the purchase button. But then there was another banner from woothemes with another purchase button. If you clicked on the second one you get redirected to a page that offers different solutions to purchase the theme from woothemes website. Any of those solutions was better than the price you paid on themeforest. The themeforest banner remained displayed. In my opinion this would had created confusion, like give the impression that themeforest is a partner in that offer. Also is wrong, not morally correct from whatever point of view you can take this

There is a big difference in linking to your website, and authors are allowed to do it in their profile page for support and such, but there is another level to trick buyers in buying from you instead of the marketplace. And in fact, the marketplace rules clearly forbids this behavior and for a good reason.

I don’t think it was part of the deal with envato, else envato would had not disabled the items previews. Note that is not envato fault here if woothemes did this move.

And they knew about this rule, first they were authors here in the past and that rule I’m sure was present at the time. Also is a standard rule for every marketplace out there, and since they have a marketplace they clearly know about this.

Everyone those that. in fact most of us even exchange the themeforest banner with our own. I know there is a difference in linking back to themeforest or linking to your own site.

But as I said before, I am now on this marketplace for 4 years and I didn’t know about that rule. Why should they know? To assume they did, just from the fact that they sold some items 3 years ago, when the terms of use were completely different is simply unfair…

162 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
anariel7 says

Kriesi +1

+1.Nobody mentioned how much they contribute to the community, Flexslider for example, i am sure someone of you is using it, i am and i am very grateful for that. Don’t be so harsh

272 posts Mad Dog
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
mad_dog says

Kriesi +1 Well said.

7372 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

But as I said before, I am now on this marketplace for 4 years and I didn’t know about that rule. Why should they know? To assume they did, just from the fact that they sold some items 3 years ago, when the terms of use were completely different is simply unfair…

not want to be a smartass but this is no excuse. don’t tell envato you don’t know the rules you signed for :)

you can read them here: http://themeforest.net/legal/membership the pertinent section is 19. point e.

but I have to appreciate that in some cases envato did give some authors a second chance if those authors had been found breaking the rules.

492 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
pixelentity says

Also we need to consider that an usual TF buyer doesn’t going to show interest on GPL – it is nothing different.

Regular/Extended = single use restriction, GPL = no such thing.

264 posts What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Prothemeus says

Kriesi +1
+1.Nobody mentioned how much they contribute to the community, Flexslider for example, i am sure someone of you is using it, i am and i am very grateful for that. Don’t be so harsh

I don’t think anybody here is denying the fact that they are great contributors but is that a valid reason to let them upload their themes under different standards/terms while the rest of the authors are “forced” to comply with better standards? I don’t think so but hey, this isn’t my marketplace.

by
by
by
by
by
by