143 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
cramdesign says

Hello all,

Do you think it is safe to design for 1000px width for a themeforest theme or just stick with the ole 960px stuff? I would love to hear what other folks use

Thanks.

2579 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
ThemeProvince says

Its fine. All of my files is 100% in width :)

143 posts
cramdesign says

Do you mean you design with fluid width using percentages? That’s awesome.

Okay… wow. Your theme is awesome… and looks like it is selling fairly well too. Congrats. However, that particular theme is certainly unique. Do you think 1000px is okay in general?

1872 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
FRESHFACE says

1000px or similar is fine, just make sure it will fit on 1024px wide screen!

The reason why designers use mostly 960px is because this number can be easily divided into different columns. (see 960.gs) Plus it’s always better to have a certain negative space around your site, even on 1024px wide screen…

Just a side note, the true 960.gs is actually 940px of a “real” content – I’ve seen lots of designers who still don’t get it :) Each column has 10px left and right margin/padding… So 960-10-10=940px…

63 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
DMThemes says

Why not, i don’t think that such thing might be a reason for rejection. And even if someone still uses 1024×768 screen resolution, he can still see whole website without scrolling.

And btw, our theme is 980px wide :)

143 posts
cramdesign says

Thanks. Yea, I have been using the 960.gs set up for a while with client work (the structure, not the actual css). It works and I do like the easy math but while stressing about and pondering my hopeful first TF theme, I am thinking about stretching out to 1000px.

1000px gives 8 columns of 90px with gutters of 40px but without built in space for side margins. Likely this wouldn’t work with a typical 1024 monitor once you consider scrollbars and such. Ipad and such would probably be okay. Though it is only 1024 at the widest, the iPad would scale it slightly if it needed and there are no visible scrollbars anyway. The real problem is the what does the typical monitor look like now a days? Most of the crappy computers that come out of walmart or best buy are at 1280px wide… right?

2579 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
ThemeProvince says

Yes 1000px is ok. You will have some problems with 3 columns in width. Because the percentage of each column will be 33.33% and wont cover the full width. Using 960px solves this.

Thanks for your nice comments :)

143 posts
cramdesign says

Thanks for your nice comments :)

No problem… I had seen your theme before now and admired it then. I hope to do what you are doing some day…

143 posts
cramdesign says

Yes 1000px is ok. You will have some problems with 3 columns in width. Because the percentage of each column will be 33.33% and wont cover the full width. Using 960px solves this.

you could do column width: 33% and column.last width:34% but, yea, not as elegant as the easy math with 960. Also, not sure how images in those columns would play out. I guess you could hide a few pixels in the narrower columns.

by
by
by
by
by
by