659 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
luckykind says

I just noticed GraphicRiver surpassed 10k items and it being a little over a year since the first item was submitted… Congrats!

Having an item deep in the queue for the past couple days however… I’ve noticed how the average number of submissions have grown since a year ago, how things zoom off the front page and I couldn’t help but wonder about what the average rate of sales is here…

Doing a little click through by number of “Sales” and some “rough” math… I came up with these numbers:

Out of 10000 files: (again these are all estimates, give or take a couple of percentage points)

20% of the files have had ZERO sales…

35% of the files have had 1 sale…

75% of the files have had 10 or fewer sales…

and only about 13% of files have 20 or more sales, which is where I estimate that authors actually start making the money back for the item they produced…

These are numbers to worry about, in my opinion, and I’d just like to know from others and Envato itself where the future for GR is headed as far as quality control and such…

...is quality more important than having a vast amount of files to search through?

Right now, I see it more as a clip-art repository VS a place where premium graphics are purchased… and it has made me hesitant to focus on creating items for sale here…

Thoughts?

809 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Ireland
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
matu says

I don’t know about the math but I will agree that I have seen a big increase in the amount of clip art coming through that doesn’t even sell that well and I have been keeping an eye on the authors of these items just to see what is selling and what is not. I think the bar needs to raised a little though I do understand that one mans rubbish is another mans gold but …...

369 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Romania
ibib says

I think that in the near future the quality standards of the files here on GR will increase. Only high-quality and top-notch items will be accepted. When I joined GraphicRiver and uploaded my first file it was the 27th on the whole marketplace. My latest file was the 200th and the majority of the 200 files will be approved for sale.

On ThemeForest the standards are now higher than ever and that was because of the many files that were available for sell.

That will happen on GR too, in my opinion.

2518 posts Community Officer
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
+16 more
contrastblack Staff says

Well, among with this issue is also the huge paradox that some really neat items end being rejected, while other really “average” items get accepted. I’m not trying to say anything negative towards the reviewers, just that the fast-growing queue feels like it’s often somehow pushing them to hurry up and deny some files somewhat randomly and accept others in the same manner. The problem is you can’t ask the reviewers to take the same amount of time for all the files submitted, nor can you actually ask envato to hire 50 reviewers for a single marketplace. It’s just a matter of luck momentarily. I would totally love to see a “oops ERROR ” moment, where all the files have been erased, (yet somehow through a divine miracle the recorded rates, survived) and all the authors would have to resubmit their work. That would lead to a cataclysmic 2000-3000 items queue for a few days up to weeks, but it would drop the total number of admitted files to under 2000. That would be SUPERB , as long as the “new” standards are mentioned publicly.

Might sound stupid… but yeah, made sense to me :D

2098 posts
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+7 more
DarkstarDesigns says

I think they should have time out on files older than a year that don’t have any sales, that way it will keep the site more relevent to what people need. After one year they get deleted.

I would have to agree that there is way too much clipart stuff, it makes searching the site harder as slot of authers have gone for quantity over quality. I don’t have time to create loads of files and hope some may sell. I have to try and think of something will sell in high volumes so the time I invested will be rewarded.

117 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Portugal
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
Legues says

I agree!!! They should have time out on files older than a year that don’t have any sales.It´s fair enough… :)

And i think we should be honest with ourselves…if we are not selling some files, we just need to delete them!!! This procedure will help us to have a “clean & healty” portfolio.

3085 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+1 more
Raincutter says
I think they should have time out on files older than a year that don’t have any sales, that way it will keep the site more relevent to what people need. After one year they get deleted. I would have to agree that there is way too much clipart stuff, it makes searching the site harder as slot of authers have gone for quantity over quality. I don’t have time to create loads of files and hope some may sell. I have to try and think of something will sell in high volumes so the time I invested will be rewarded.

totally agree with you dude. Many people are just going for quantity over quality. I’m having the same thoughts as you for creating the files and so far I’ve just come near to creating a single action after my last item in january.

I agree!!! They should have time out on files older than a year that don’t have any sales.It´s fair enough… :) And i think we should be honest with ourselves…if we are not selling some files, we just need to delete them!!! This procedure will help us to have a “clean & healty” portfolio.

yeah, that’s what I did. It really makes sense because that way our profile would be more clean and presentable. 2 days ago I deleted two of my item since they didn’t got any sales after a month. (in total they both had 1 sales.)

1173 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
Motionreactor says

This is definitely a discussion we need to have. Great points raised. I feel that the low quality of some items and the sheer volume of them is lowering the value of the marketplaces for Authors and Buyers. We should all expect and demand higher quality in ourselves and in the whole marketplace.

529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
+3 more
AmandaHackwith says

There’s some very good points here. I can say this is an issue we’re discussing and it’s pretty logical that as we grow our standards will become more demanding as well. I want to see GR become the premier place for quality graphics, so we’re all working towards improving in any way we can. There will be an announcement, of course, once any changes are worked out. :)

809 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Ireland
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
matu says

Well that is good to hear as I wouldn’t like to see the authors that put a lot of skilled and hard work lose out due to low standards being set and GraphicRiver being flooded with poor items.

thanks for the update

by
by
by
by
by
by