• Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
cooledition says

What do you think guys? Should i use the 1200 grid system or 960 grid system and why? If you know some websites using the 1200 grid system plz post a link :)

1733 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
VisualSharing says

Imagine 1200px on a 1024×768 screen resolution (many laptops use it). :)

438 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
christopherjon says

1024×768 is like IE 6 -8, A lot of people still use it and you need to develop your websites to be accessible to as many people as possible.

You also have to take into consideration mobile browsers, tablets, webTV etc…

Widescreen websites, CSS3 , HTML5 or any cutting-edge technology should be used sparingly until it becomes the standard.

688 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Costa Rica
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
cooledition says
christopherjon said
1024×768 is like IE 6 -8, A lot of people still use it and you need to develop your websites to be accessible to as many people as possible.

You also have to take into consideration mobile browsers, tablets, webTV etc…

Widescreen websites, CSS3 , HTML5 or any cutting-edge technology should be used sparingly until it becomes the standard.

thank you, then i will make my theme using the 960 grid system

673 posts
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Envato Staff
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Support Staff
+7 more
cudazi Staff says

or build your own at http://www.spry-soft.com/grids

2019 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says
cmt said
Imagine 1200px on a 1024×768 screen resolution (many laptops use it). :)

Netbooks, more like. I use a 1000 pixel grid just as Parallelus does.

9 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
310MPH says

I believe, for the last two years the situation has drastically changed. It seems to be that 960 grid systems turn to be useless (those narrow sites look outdated). What is the best grid system for wide screens?

I’m developing my first wide-screen theme at the moment. As a strarting point I choose 1920-width screen. I don’t use any grid system, and draw my own with margins about 5.55%. Just trying to figure it out how to make sure that my theme will fit even wider screens. Should I get my theme fixed at 1710px (and make it responsive to smaller sizes) or let it go up to any over-1920 screen width?

610 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
ChapterThemes says

I have a 27 inch screen, but i still like websites that don’t go any bigger than 1024 or 1280.

I do also like cool ones who go bigger. But i feel lots of people tend to go with realy wider sites for the wrong reason.

Main reason i always see is screen size and screen resolutions. Yes, nowadays we have bigger screens and higher resolutions. But with my 27 inch screen and a resolution of 2560×1440, do i ever have my browser window full screen? Never. And i think most people with realy larger screens and higher resolutions barely use their entire screen to browse.

That’s why i think, and my own surfing experience is that a site which goes up to 1024 or 1280 is still very pleasant to look at and interact with.

610 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
ChapterThemes says

(those narrow sites look outdated).

I totally disagree. A nice designed site of 1024 pixels wide looks just a good as always. Even on big screens.

I’m developing my first wide-screen theme at the moment. As a strarting point I choose 1920-width screen. I don’t use any grid system, and draw my own with margins about 5.55%. Just trying to figure it out how to make sure that my theme will fit even wider screens. Should I get my theme fixed at 1710px (and make it responsive to smaller sizes) or let it go up to any over-1920 screen width?

So unnecessary, and frankly i think it’s even non-userfriendly to have such a big site. I don’t want to look and move my mouse too far down or sides the whole screen for a site.

Besides that, like i said in my previous comment: it’s rarely the case that people with such large screens browse full width. Most of the time the browser is still half the width or something.

463 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
rayoflightt says

Take a look at new approved themes here so you will see. Main content of site should be up to 1200px in center of screen and background should be 100% wide. If main content is 100% wide I believe that is called “liquid” layout and it is useful only for some kinds of sites (eg. with lot of text and with not much of design), not for all.

by
by
by
by
by
by