• Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Power Elite Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
ThemeFusion says

@ThemeFusion Top sellers are rarely getting affected in sales whatever changes happen. They are prone to regain sales once time passes.

But the new items are prone to face disasters. The heavy initial smack happened to a new item can’t be recovered as well as hard to even observe.

I am pretty sure Envato is NOW doing Bundles just to expand their share of profit out of new items.

Yes we agree on top files.. Sales are not necessarily regained though, they simply don’t drop. And even new files, like Wordpress themes, still have great sales. Check out the first page of Wordpress themes, there are several with very high numbers. Same for HTML files.

But that is also why I stated info about my graphic river profile. It receives the same amount of sales during bundles as well. Relatively the same of course.

That’s why I feel it does not affect sales for anyone, if it does its so minor that its irrelevant compared to new traffic.

84 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Australia
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
yomrholmes Staff says

Hey guys – I think its time for me to add some comments.

Firstly, we’re not running the header bar for more than 7 days (we never planned to). We’re breaking it up for the first 5 days and then the final 2 days.

We’re also running this as a test for 14 days. We’re considering both options for the future – 7 days or 14 days. We are watching for a drop in sales everywhere – not just overall but for specific types of items as well. All signs point to there being NO drop. Nothing corporate here. That is the data that me and our data scientist have derived and we have analyzed at length.

Lastly, as a marketing person, running this for 14 days lets us run way more marketing AND run way more testing on our marketing that makes our marketing perform better. More revenue = more marketing = more traffic to the marketplaces.

5754 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Lastly, as a marketing person, running this for 14 days lets us run way more marketing AND run way more testing on our marketing that makes our marketing perform better. More revenue = more marketing = more traffic to the marketplaces.

Regarding marketing, why all those research and experiments are revolving around bundle/discounts rather than emphasizing other aspects? (potential categories, size of library, marketplace features etc) Of course there are other promotions happening here but none that displayed/getting attention here strongly than bundles. This is why it gives the impression of Envato’s whole marketing strategy revolving/addicted around immediate money from internal marketplace buyers rather than long term traffic gain.

The discount based marketing is completely off-track for us since micro-stock item prices itself is low and the criteria you supposed to emphasize here is about item capabilities, uniqueness of categories if any and mostly to display the potential of items and marketplace. Not again and again promoting “see this discount, see that discount”.

Anyway, 7 days and 14 days are completely different in the sense that a buyer now has more room for wait and sit and then pick Bundle rather than purchasing a single item. That’s the big difference you offer now than previous bundles.

84 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Australia
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
yomrholmes Staff says

We see ongoing sales from authors and categories included in the bundle too.

Running bundles is just one piece of a very large marketing plan.

5754 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • India
+3 more
VF says

We see ongoing sales from authors and categories included in the bundle too. Running bundles is just one piece of a very large marketing plan.

The large marketing plans outside marketplace is understandable. But doing the same internally with mega discount is the biggest issue. For example, we never run a bundle that advertised only through external ad campaigns (without advertising the same through marketplace top banner etc). If you guys believe that approach wont bring much traffic, what that means? Doesn’t that apply for the current bundles too?

If authors can get answer for the above question from a top-level staff, we can assume still Envato is perfect in business ethics towards authors. It is painful to ask questions towards respected company but the over-activity and over-experiments in the bundle is the culprit.

1999 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Won a Competition
+4 more
bitfade says

I just want to mention that we haven’t seen Bundles canibalize overall sales historically
Then why envato doesn’t allow authors to set the price for their own items ?

The point is to prevent them from undercutting each other but your bundle undercuts anybody else for 2 weeks with >$500 value sold for $20 and yet, according to your words, it doesn’t cannibalize sales.

To constantly have hard discounted items in the marketplace can’t be bad and good at the same time.

7177 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

I’ve asked this many times in the past when this bundle issue appeared on the forum but didn’t get a clear answer.

If the sales are A when there is no bundle then the sales are still A when the bundle is up?

Or the sales are A + bundle sales?

If is the first variant then the bundle eats authors sales. What author loses sales and in what amount will depends of a lot of factors and is too complicated to predict.

if the staff could answer this, not with numbers, just to confirm that when the bundle is up, the number of sales increases with the amount of bundle sales or just stay the same.

5754 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Answer: “All is well”
Question: Anything

895 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Australia
3Ddym says

Top banner isn’t display now, right? I don’t see it.

3430 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

Top banner isn’t display now, right? I don’t see it.

If you close it once, it will stay closed in that particular marketplace / browser.

by
by
by
by
by
by