140 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
rajkataria17 says

You can not make a program with a design… but you can make a design with program…

Designer / Developer is like Artist / Scientist…

So, both of them have their own importance….

:)

691 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
geoken says

I think when you design first it sometimes takes you longer or you overlook certain things, then when you try to change a graphical asset you end up saying “Oh, yeah. Those things aren’t dynamically positioned”.

For me, personally, when I design I think in terms of static numbers ie. My window border is 10px high, so I think I’ll make my buttons 8px high. When I code I tend to think about relations ie. my border’s height is var_borderHeight so my buttons height will be var_borderHeight * 0.8.

932 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
JWG says

I would say I come up with basic “look”, and how I want transitions to be, and then it’s on to making it work. Once it works correctly, I perfect color scheme, and animation timing.

163 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • France
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
andrelatino says

I love to spend more time designing, so first i finish the code and then i leave my inspiration to do the rest :-)

3069 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
wickedpixel says

don’t let code to stop your creativity!
design on paper… use code to give life ;)

116 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
trepn says

Well I think you need to have a good collaboration between design and development. At my work we usually start of with a wireframe design positioning all the elements (mostly done by an interaction designer). Then a designer makes a draft design, this then is reviewed by the team (most of the times designer, developer and interaction designer). In this face you start to look for possible conflicts between development and design. Next to that you check which parts of the interface need to be emphasized and how components will animate or behave. If you are making a application that can hold allot of content, how are you going to display that and how does that affect the design. Also who is going to use this and are there special conditions you need to take into account. Of course depending on the project you can keep on going like this.. From this point we ask a designer filled with all these questions to make design adjustments. Then when we are content with the design we start developing. From this point it is developing, testing, evaluation in an iteration till the product is done.

3402 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
+1 more
bobocel says

Uhm.. I have the feeling your question was understood wrong, or at least can have two ways of answering to it. So..

First way: What do you think should be done first?

If you are referring to the order in which an app is being built, you definitely need to go with the design first. It’s a must do. I always have a paper and a pencil nearby, even for the most simple things. BUT before even having a design in mind, you need to have a vision of the product, and carefully plan it on paper.

Second way: What do you think should be done first?

If you are referring to what we should learn first, I can definitely tell you the code should be a priority. If there is talent for the design, it will come with the experience of working in the field, and if you’ve been a coder too you know what could be done and what couldn’t – before designing it.

I consider myself a hybrid. :)

3868 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
flashjunkie says
Uhm.. I have the feeling your question was understood wrong, or at least can have two ways of answering to it. So.. First way: What do you think should be done first? If you are referring to the order in which an app is being built, you definitely need to go with the design first. It’s a must do. I always have a paper and a pencil nearby, even for the most simple things. BUT before even having a design in mind, you need to have a vision of the product, and carefully plan it on paper. Second way: What do you think should be done first? If you are referring to what we should learn first, I can definitely tell you the code should be a priority. If there is talent for the design, it will come with the experience of working in the field, and if you’ve been a coder too you know what could be done and what couldn’t – before designing it. I consider myself a hybrid. :)

I definately agree with the paper thing and i use to be a pure coder but i too am slowly becoming hybrid lol :)

Jay

by
by
by
by
by
by