176 posts
    Has referred 50+ members Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
Denoizzed says

I haven’t ever think that I’ll start a topic like that but honestly I don’t understand which createria should my templates meet and ask for your help. Thank in advance for your time, it’s quite much text to read.

1 round – HTML template

Here is the problem. I’ve uploaded my first template called Meditate few weeks ago – it is a minimalist HTML /CSS template. Here is the screenshot of it (~60% of size):

Here is working live preview of this template.

This item hasn’t been approved.

Your template has a good start but, as we have high standards, you will need to make some additional improvements in overall aesthetics and aspects such as typography, graphics, and spacing.

I just couldn’t understood how it could be improved more in this aspects. There also was a little issue with footer – it didn’t center with the rest of the page and also review said that i should include more in depth documentation.

I’ve asked for more detailed feedback. In my letter I’ve asked directly – should I improve my template or is it really sucks and isn’t worth time to spend on. That’s what I’ve got (three days later; I do not blame anybody but you know that waiting is really painful).

Something more unique would sell better in the marketplace and be more likely to be accepted.

Also I got an answer that my help file is missing some part and I kinda agree with that but not completely.

I can’t say template isn’t unique – maybe it’s only template on the whole Envato marketplace that utilizes baseline grid alignment technique. But my reviewer implied it wasn’t and I believed him so I decided not to continue with this template (if it’s anyway has no chance to be accepted).

I’m asking you to help me and give your opinion of this template, but please be as honest and straightforward as it possible. If it sucks, please say it. Thanks in advance!

But the story is not finished yet :) OK, I said to myself, let’s create something more unique. And here is

2 round – 404 template

I’ve created 404 page. I investigated category of 404 pages and created the design that, well, is not similar to any of items in category (it isn’t similar to any existing 404 pages also). I’ve also created this 404 page template in two styles – minimalist and so called modern (web 2.0, sleek – call it as you like). I’ve also included in package 14 color schemes for minimalist version and 10 color schemes for modern version (24 templates in total). Additionaly I’ve created two screencasts on how to change color scheme and apadt it to your needs. I thought it was really premium now and I was sure this 404 page template would be approved.

Here is the screenshot of modern blue version:

Here are some working live previews:

But – what you think – it wasn’t approved too. Here is why:

Your template does not provide a unique enough design with the necessary features and options to compete in the marketplace at this time. As higher quality templates become available in the marketplace, approval requirements will increase to maintain appropriate marketplace quality.

You might consider improving your design with more unique features and graphics in order for it to stand out among other marketplace items. Adding features, options and styles will help increase your template’s value and increase its ability to be approved. However, a unique design will be a key factor for approval.

This time I don’t understand it at all. Why this item is not unique? Which features and options could be added on 404 page? It’s just a 404 page, not a Wordpress theme! Additional styles? There are 24 of them!

I’ve asked for additional feedback again but in the best case I’ll get it next week. I’m working on new design now but I’m afraid to code it because now i don’t believe that it has even a small chance to be approved.

That’s why I’m asking you guys to judje me. Do you think this item designed really bad and has no chance to sell here at ThemeForest?

Thank you again that you’ve read it and thank in advance if you’ll live your comment on this.

P.S.

Here is a trick – this template was approved and is selling now. Nothing personal to its author but can you really say it’s PREMIUM ? I can’t. Or marketplace’s high standarts act only selectively? Please clarify it to me. Thanks!
155 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Located in Canada Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Warll says

For your first template the header and footer are perfect. So that only leaves the content area, from the home page image the content would appear to be just a wall of text.

Ghe glorious thing about theme forest is that when I buy a template I get MORE than I need, which means all I have to do is take a hack saw to things. Which is a lot easier than adding stuff.

Your second one, “Which features and options could be added on 404 page?” Exactly, if you cannot offer anything more than the current offerings then there is no reason to have the theme on the market. 24 similar templates is to much, but 25 is even too mucher!

2263 posts Bird is the word..
    Has referred 200+ members Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Sorry but it’s the same old problem with reviewers – it’s a personal choice thing and I don’t agree – this market place is in need of more simplistic, white-space driven clean designs I feel but yet they are hardly ever approved because they are not crammed full of open source icons, extra frilly bits using photoshop layers, and a ton of free jquery plugins.

However looking at the website template you have some issues you need to fix / change. You need to centralize the footer – I would also style the drop downs a little more from the gray background and black text / outlines – maybe change the colors of the header texts and allow users to easily change this to their preference, same with the logo / footer background and hire me box – if all those could be offered in separate css files and targeted for color choice by the user you can easily offer 10 color options. Your header fonts are not consistent throughout your template in sizes or in the font used – standardize them.

For the error page add a contact form and site index menu.

Hope that helps.

176 posts
    Has referred 50+ members Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
Denoizzed says

@Warll

Thank you for your reply!

Maybe you misunderstood me or my English is much worse than I thought. Iit’s concerning 404 item – I meant I have 24 color schemes included in my template. On the market there are only twelve 404 page templates.

Exactly, if you cannot offer anything more than the current offerings then there is no reason to have the theme on the market.

My apologies, but I’m quite disagree with you here. Why I’m not offering something more than current offerings? First of all, I’m offering a concept. The page was not found – it’s a pity and that’s why this blue guy is crying here. “Sorry”, he says – and because he is crying user understands that site owner is REALLY sorry.

If we compare this with T-shirts – you’re buying the concept, not just a T-shirt. T-shirt itself doesn’t offer anything new to a customer – but it concept (image, text, etc.) does.

Following this logic, majority of HTML templates should be removed from the marketplaces, because they do not offer anything more. They all are almost the same – their layouts, typography, even icons sometimes! But this “almost” let every template to be unique.

@jonathan01

Thank you very much for your explanations.

I’ve just looked through out the whole 404 category and NONE of the templates has a working contact work in it, just links to conctact page. Some of templates do not even have links to the homapage hovewer they were approved and are selling now. I didn’t include contact form consciously. I didn’t want page to weight too much so I’ve decided not to include jQuery and so on. But it seems I’ll have to :)

Concerning my first template I was complaining that they said it wasn’t unique and ti say the truth it hurts. But you made a good point there and I agree with you:
I feel but yet they are hardly ever approved because they are not crammed full of open source icons, extra frilly bits using photoshop layers, and a ton of free jquery plugins

Thanks again!

738 posts
    Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Located in United States Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Jar says
Sorry but it’s the same old problem with reviewers – it’s a personal choice thing and I don’t agree – this market place is in need of more simplistic, white-space driven clean designs I feel but yet they are hardly ever approved because they are not crammed full of open source icons, extra frilly bits using photoshop layers, and a ton of free jquery plugins.

However looking at the website template you have some issues you need to fix / change. You need to centralize the footer – I would also style the drop downs a little more from the gray background and black text / outlines – maybe change the colors of the header texts and allow users to easily change this to their preference, same with the logo / footer background and hire me box – if all those could be offered in separate css files and targeted for color choice by the user you can easily offer 10 color options. Your header fonts are not consistent throughout your template in sizes or in the font used – standardize them.

For the error page add a contact form and site index menu.

Hope that helps.

I agree completely. It’s also worth noting there is a bias within the person being reviewed. I’ve seen plenty of designs get accepted by long time members that would never be accepted if a new user had submitted it.

814 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Contributed a free file of the month
+3 more
rvision_ says

+100000000, I agree wholeheartedly.

Regarding Meditate template: I really do like it, but what I suggest is following: you’ll have to double check baseline grid because it doesn’t look right in my browser. It’s probably issue with the Cufon, it’s really tricky to align with it.

Other than that, I think you’ll have to fix some minor issues with text, headlines, maybe add some variations (bold, italic, etc.), adjust colors and precedence. Also, I would correct line lengths (underlines) to be more logical.

We’ve already had an discussion about minimal design:

http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/buyers-what-you-likewantneed-to-be-designeddeveloped-/23231

read after jdessel’s reply

814 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Contributed a free file of the month
+3 more
rvision_ says
I agree completely. It’s also worth noting there is a bias within the person being reviewed. I’ve seen plenty of designs get accepted by long time members that would never be accepted if a new user had submitted it.

True.

176 posts
+4 more
Denoizzed says

@Jar, @FullTank

Thanks for you replies!

But it’s rather strange and not honest at all, isn’t it? I mean, the review process is very subjective and for one reviewer you must provide only top class design and for other just ordinary average design is enough?

So your design approval is just a question of luck (you get to the “right” reviewer), not professionalism?

by
by
by
by
by
by