• Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+4 more
quickandeasy Volunteer moderator says

One thing I don’t like or agree with is the fact that if you don’t use the money that you deposited in 1 year, you lose it. That part is kind of shady to me…
Someone explained it was similar to why “gift cards” at shops have an expirey date. It’s an accounting issue, funds cannot just sit there forever unused. Also we have the option of extending expiring credit, so when you receive the “your funds are expiring” email you can email back and extend the expiry date. Kinda cool of them.

Gift cards, store credit, Envato credit etc are a debt.

When you give someone “credit”, you owe them money. Or in other words, you’re in debt to that person.

The more gift cards or store credit a business gives out, the more debt they have.

Even though the person has paid $10 cash for $10 credit, the business still owes that person $10 worth of inventory.

If the person/customer chooses not to spend that $10 for 5 years, 10 years, (or forgets about it, loses the gift card etc) the business (on paper) is still in debt to them.

If 100,000 other customers also choose to do this or lose their gift cards it can obviously cause huge problems for the business and it’s accounting.

Eventually, this debt would become too large (or at least on paper).

In order to control the debt and make sure the business is never put in a position of owing too much (even if those customers who they are in debt to have lost their gift cards or never plan to claim the debt), they use an expiry date.

Important note on this, if the credit in your account expires, contact Envato support and they will reinstate it.

1401 posts
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
WebSmacker says

In the state I live in, it’s against the law for retailers to put an expiration date on gift cards which is why it threw me off at first. Thanks for clarifying dtbaker and quickandeasy.

8 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
ungowa says

At the very least, I should be able to deposit 5 bux to buy a $4 add on, not forced to deposit 20.00…, instead everyone bookmarks everything, then in time, they lose interest in the item. In other words, tons of impulse buys are being hosed down.

7172 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+1 more
doru says

regarding that paypal rule.

envato is a big company and they probably have personalized services signed with those payment providers. is pointless to apply rules from paypal website because there are big chances they don’t apply to envato.

323 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
familychoice says

If the person/customer chooses not to spend that $10 for 5 years, 10 years, (or forgets about it, loses the gift card etc) the business (on paper) is still in debt to them.

If 100,000 other customers also choose to do this or lose their gift cards it can obviously cause huge problems for the business and it’s accounting.

Eventually, this debt would become too large (or at least on paper).

The debts, or ‘customers money’, as I like to think of it, are only accumulating because Envato are forcing customers to deposit more than they need to. If we could enter a specific amount, or at lest the minimum was set to something reasonable (e.g. $5) then the ‘debt’ would be more manageable and customers wouldn’t feel ripped off.

I think it’s a brilliant model and it is working well so far. I don’t see anything wrong with it. They offer a discount, and what you don’t use they get some return on it.

They don’t offer a discount, they add a surcharge of $2 onto the advertised price if you don’t add funds to your account.

1401 posts
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
WebSmacker says

As @australia pointed out, it’s all about wording. Envato needs to advertise $7 for example, and only charge $5 if you use prepaid deposits. Easy fix.

5751 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

As @australia pointed out, it’s all about wording. Envato needs to advertise $7 for example, and only charge $5 if you use prepaid deposits. Easy fix.

Easy fix. Do you really think this change will happen? If you spend some time searching these forums, you can find old threads that posted by staff at the time of “buy now” introduction. Initially the items used to display 2 prices :D Then later it become how it displays currently. If you digg little deeper, you may find staffs were curious about adding shopping cart those times – unlike today. In case improvements were made towards the direction of shopping cart, these struggles could be less for buyers. Looks like they settled with current system either due to practical issues on implementation or whatever I can imagine :P

323 posts
  • Exclusive Author
familychoice says

Looks like they settled with current system either due to practical issues on implementation or whatever I can imagine :P

Maybe they settled with the current system because an advertised price of $5 is going to attract more buyers than a price of $7 or $20 deposit?

It’s not about ‘wording’ or semantics. The price advertised at the point of sale is the price customers expect to pay. If there’s an extra $2 to pay when they checkout then that’s a surcharge.

The issue for new customers is that they will not be able to buy an item that’s advertised at $5, for $5. If they want to buy that item they have to deposit $20 or pay $7, there is absolutely no option for a new customer to pay $5 for that item.

I wonder how many potential customers Envato has scared away with this unfriendly system?

5751 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Looks like they settled with current system either due to practical issues on implementation or whatever I can imagine :P
Maybe they settled with the current system because an advertised price of $5 is going to attract more buyers than a price of $7 or $20 deposit?

Usually this is the obvious point of view, we can’t omit. I think considering the marketplaces such as TF where $40+ are normal, the $2 difference doesn’t going to make positive or negative impact. But your point is right when we consider marketplaces like GraphicRiver where less than $10 items are huge in number.

Someone who enters here to purchase a $3, $5, $7 item are slapped by current purchase options (or at least will get surprised). The “Deposit & buy bulk” approach is suitable only for photo stocks. Not for the markets like GR, CC etc where potential buyers may reach here by searching specific utilities for that day’s project (opposed to general purpose items).

Common sense says if the number of surcharge purchases started dominating the deposit purchases, the prices should display the surcharge price. Not sure what dominates as of today’s purchase trends but my statements page says surcharge purchases are heavily dominating the deposits.

323 posts
  • Exclusive Author
familychoice says

Usually this is the obvious point of view, we can’t omit. I think considering the marketplaces such as TF where $40+ are normal, the $2 difference doesn’t going to make positive or negative impact. But your point is right when we consider marketplaces like GraphicRiver where less than $10 items are huge in number.

The top 10 selling Wordpress themes on TF cost:

$55 $55 $55 $55 $55 $45 $45 $45 $55 $40

Only one of these items can be bought as a one-off purchase without incurring a surcharge or by spending $5 more than required. And because most of these themes incorporate built in features and shortcodes, many purchasers wouldn’t need to have funds in an account to buy additional plugins.

Even for regular customers like us, we’ve still got $13 in one account and $7 in another. The next item we’re looking to buy costs $20, so we either pay $22 or deposit another $20 into our account and still be left with the $13 and $7.

I just think there should be smaller deposit increments or custom amount options.

It’s not a deal breaker for us, but it’s an unfriendly way to do business.

by
by
by
by
by
by