7 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
pixelbat says

Usually this is the obvious point of view, we can’t omit. I think considering the marketplaces such as TF where $40+ are normal, the $2 difference doesn’t going to make positive or negative impact. But your point is right when we consider marketplaces like GraphicRiver where less than $10 items are huge in number.

The top 10 selling Wordpress themes on TF cost:

$55 $55 $55 $55 $55 $45 $45 $45 $55 $40

Only one of these items can be bought as a one-off purchase without incurring a surcharge or by spending $5 more than required. And because most of these themes incorporate built in features and shortcodes, many purchasers wouldn’t need to have funds in an account to buy additional plugins.

Even for regular customers like us, we’ve still got $13 in one account and $7 in another. The next item we’re looking to buy costs $20, so we either pay $22 or deposit another $20 into our account and still be left with the $13 and $7.

I just think there should be smaller deposit increments or custom amount options.

It’s not a deal breaker for us, but it’s an unfriendly way to do business.

All the forum themes are like $15+2 as direct buy, or you can put $20 in and sit on $5. Pretty sure this pricing scheme is part of their plan, so that they can have vast amounts of money just sitting to collect interest. I’d be more open to buying stuff if this surcharge didn’t exist. I’ll be honest, the whole thing seems lame, and has turned me off from impulse buying.

323 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
familychoice says

I’d be more open to buying stuff if this surcharge didn’t exist. I’ll be honest, the whole thing seems lame, and has turned me off from impulse buying.

Definitely, us too. It means we tend to ‘plan’ purchases instead.

At first glance this would seem to be a great way for Envato to squeeze a bit more money out of their customers, but any benefits could be offset by potential one-off and impulse purchases being lost.

Unless they’re making vast sums of additional revenue from this pricing system then why do it? There’s no benefit to new customers or loyal buyers.

1266 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

i think the surcharge is a bad idea and makes negative first impression. you should welcome new money coming in with no penalty for single one-off purchasers since that’s how most new customers will come in

1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
verbwit says

Yes, I have to agree, I felt a little cheated as a first time buyer having to pay the surcharge after I hit the buy button. So congrats, this will be my first and last purchase. It would have been a completely different feeling if it was worded different. Like, price $8, save 2$ by buying prepaid credits. Just as a psychological thing. When I saw the price was $6 dollars, I justified this in my head, as okay cool 6 bucks, I think that’s a fair price, lets do this! Then boom, 2 surcharge, it just not a good way to do it IMO.

32 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
orangecounty says

After 21 days, an old thread is being dug out by yet another disgruntled buyer. Just proves 1 point.

Envato still fails to listen to it’s community, ignoring our pleas to remove surcharge.

286 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
Deep_Blue says

It is definetly better to declare “Save 2$ using prepaid credit” than “Add $2 if you are not using prepaid credits”. both statements are the same but the first is positive one and the second is negative, which is an important first impression factor for new buyers.

1 post
cuzzlor says

Yes, I have to agree, I felt a little cheated as a first time buyer having to pay the surcharge after I hit the buy button.

Me too, I was just about to buy a $9 template but I am hesitating because I feel a bit jipped by this system – I’ve had to create an account with a ridiculously complex password, wait 5 mins for the email, activate my account all to see a bl00dy 22% price increase waiting for me. I purchased from [name removed] last week ($18) and didn’t have this annoyed feeling despite the template costing more… This surcharge creates a poor impression.

3 posts
mygeek911 says

First impression for me: bait-and-switch. This is not honest folks. It wasn’t until AFTER I created an account that the $2 surcharge was shown. An unfortunate error, as I likely will not purchase. I don’t like my money held hostage to these kinds of tactics.

7352 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

First impression for me: bait-and-switch. This is not honest folks. It wasn’t until AFTER I created an account that the $2 surcharge was shown. An unfortunate error, as I likely will not purchase. I don’t like my money held hostage to these kinds of tactics.

what you wanted to purchase?

163 posts
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+5 more
EasyDevelopment says

Okay, it’s plain simple, they just want to encourage you to deposit money so you come back later & buy more stuff. Even if you want to buy a 15$ product, you deposit 20$, and you know you’ll have 5$ later. With those 5$, you’ll remember them, on your next project you’ll need something that does “X and Y, and maybe Z”, and instead to search the internet, you want to save 5$ and come back and search it directly here.

by
by
by
by
by
by