• Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

First impression for me: bait-and-switch. This is not honest folks. It wasn’t until AFTER I created an account that the $2 surcharge was shown. An unfortunate error, as I likely will not purchase. I don’t like my money held hostage to these kinds of tactics.
Okay, it’s plain simple, they just want to encourage you to deposit money so you come back later & buy more stuff. Even if you want to buy a 15$ product, you deposit 20$, and you know you’ll have 5$ later. With those 5$, you’ll remember them, on your next project you’ll need something that does “X and Y, and maybe Z”, and instead to search the internet, you want to save 5$ and come back and search it directly here.

I know the above reply is not official response (and not necessarily reflect official decision) but this response is like saying “So our ultimate goal is either getting $2 extra from you or you have to suffer with stray deposits on our website. To make you our repeat customer, we have to force you something explicitly”.

The above buyer’s complaint was not about the payment system but the system fails to convey the payment norms while someone registers here. A random person’s 2-3 minutes of wasted time and attention is something shouldn’t be neglected.

Anyway, somewhere a staff mentioned that shopping cart is under development; hope it will not still come-up with new kind of tricks and struggles to the buyers.

6765 posts
  • Italy
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+1 more
doru says

Anyway, somewhere a staff mentioned that shopping cart is under development; hope it will not still come-up with new kind of tricks and struggles to the buyers.

worse than click purchase 25 times for purchasing 25 photos and then click 25 time on the download button?

the collection update works pretty great, that code just need to be adapted to the shopping cart.

also we shouldn’t forget that there are patent trolls who like to sue websites for having a shopping cart.

1276 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
fuelthemes says

I don’t think the customers worry about it as much as it has been pointed out in this thread:

Most of our sales are with $2 surcharge

3163 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
charlie4282 says

@fuelthemes That’s really interesting to see and (with the up most respect) you are not yet an elite so imagine what % it is for those selling mass amounts? (Love your style BTW)

As a highly experienced buyer this entire situation does not bother me in the slightest – even if it was a $20 fee I am still getting thousands of $ worth of work for nothing and its still notably cheaper than the competition marketplaces!

Working with a lot of major online marketplaces, I can assure anyone that the vast majority of sites have a handling/booking/purchase fee for credit card payments etc and digital download or item purchasing makes no difference to the fees the marketplace incurs

5542 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • India
+3 more
VF says

worse than click purchase 25 times for purchasing 25 photos and then click 25 time on the download button?

The long past records which showed much love towards forcing/encouraging the buyers to deposit – makes me to think if a shopping cart will be implemented without slightly forcing a rounded total value or inclination/push towards deposits.

Not related but when the search upgrade was about to be live, Envato’s proposal was to start with a “similar items” section. I always suspect about “core reason” when they implement a long delayed / awaited obvious feature :D

6765 posts
  • Italy
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
doru says

I don’t think the customers worry about it as much as it has been pointed out in this thread

the type of messages above are semi spam messages.

Is always someone who show up, post this outrageous message about how envato is all evil and he will not purchase anything anymore.

I’m quit sure is the same guy showing up at intervals.

Not to minimize the problem off course but if I look at my statement, I can see buyers purchasing projects that cost 20$ (perfect for deposit) and they pay 22$.

6765 posts
  • Italy
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
doru says

The long past records which showed much love towards forcing/encouraging the buyers to deposit – makes me to think if a shopping cart will be implemented without slightly forcing a rounded total value or inclination/push towards deposits.

in theory is just like buying an item now but instead is a temporary collection of files. After you decided on x number of files and hit purchase you can get to the same two options (deposit or direct purchase)

1399 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Croatia
OriginalEXE says

I get $2+ purchases in 80% of my transactions.

Instead of looking at it as an additional charge, one can view it as a discount if deposit is made.

3 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
mygeek911 says

Assuredly, I am not the “same guy showing up at intervals” as guessed by doru. If I were, I would have used a spam handle and not one that I use everywhere else on the Internet. And thank you VF for recognizing the beef, so to speak, of my complaint.

To be honest, I was looking at getting 3D Box 006. My biggest gripe is the fact that it shows as $4, and it wasn’t until after registering that the additional $2 surcharge became clear. That added 50% to the cost. In the United States, advertising as such is called bait and switch and it is cause for legal action of false advertising; kindly note, however, that Envato is out of Australia and as such is out of reach of U.S. law and regulations.

Had the purchase price (before account login or creation) stated the cost was $6 upfront, I wouldn’t have had an issue at all and I may have considered purchasing prepaid credit to reduce it to $4. The problem with prepaid credit, however, is that I recently had another site that went belly up and I lost about $15 worth of credit. That loss didn’t leave a positive taste in my mouth.

Regardless of how you all feel about the surcharge, I can tell you that rather than pay out of principle, I went elsewhere where the cost was upfront. This in effect denied Envato and srvalle, the developer of the script, money that I would have otherwise spent here. While I may be only one person complaining about the charge, I am sure that there are others who have taken their money elsewhere.

5542 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • India
+3 more
VF says

in theory is just like buying an item now but instead is a temporary collection of files. After you decided on x number of files and hit purchase you can get to the same two options (deposit or direct purchase)

For buyers who makes $40+ purchases, I think we have to be generous (on saving their “time” and attention) and allow direct purchases without $2 surcharge. It is illogical to force $50 to be deposited first, so that a $50 item is not priced $52. It is all about efforts towards consistency and user friendliness.

I can point one example, on making the process easy. In the past, official bundles are sold with the price of $20 on deposit and $22 on direct purchase. These days, the direct purchases also priced $20 (including surcharge) for bundles – which makes sure new buyer’s aren’t forced to deposit, so this ensures guaranteed purchase. I point about same generousness to be showed on $40+ items just to give them easier payment process.

by
by
by
by
by
by