• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

As mentioned by other authors, the analytics clearly show the increase of exposure to our products while on the home page, I’m aware that some buyers don’t follow this path but again the analytics clearly show that the majority do. Jonathan

Agreed, many argue that homepage exposure is not important to sales, but analytics are hard evidence of how important homepage exposure is to the success of your file. Everyone has their own tactics to browse files here, but the majority of buyers are finding files from the home page – fact. For new authors with a first file, homepage exposure is critical. But for other authors with larger portfolios, it’s not as critical since they get exposure to their new files via the rest of their portfolio, so again this shouldn’t be proof that homepage exposure is not important. To show up in search, to show up with a good rating, you need sales, and to get sales you need home page exposure.. that’s how all top authors started out, and that exposure is seriously lacking these days for new authors.

9 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Canada
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
Integral says

As a buyer of themes here, 95% of the time I go straight to the HTML tab or the Wordpress tab, and scroll down the page from there. The other 5% I might do a search or browse what’s new, but that is not a big factor on my buying decision.

Also I will never buy the first theme that I think will fit the bill. I will browse till I find a couple that I like.

For Wordpress themes, because I am moving over from ExpressionEngine, and not fully versed in WP yet, I read through the comments there, and if there are a lot of complaints, I shy away from that theme.

I may not be typical, but just thought I would share my experience here as a buyer.

109 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
elemis says

You are not alone. We released a new template yesterday and in just a few hours it was no longer on the homepage. Themeforest is a huge marketplace now and this is more than natural. Under these circumstances we believe there should be other things on the homepage rather than the recently released themes. Because it is no longer fair to show those. While exposure time of some themes are only 5-6 hours, some stay 3-4 days.

Homepage could display daily and weekly popular ones from the new releases. Seller bookmark lists could also be shown. Along with these we believe the popular files page should no longer be available. Some might argue with this but we think it prevents the competition in the marketplace. Still there are some few-year-old themes in the list. Surely they sell because of their huge number of sales rather than actually being liked. No doubt a large number of customers are intimidated by searching through lots and lots of themes so they choose to pick themes from the popular list because it is much easier. And of course one of the causes of this is the lack of effectiveness of searching system in Themeforest.

4493 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

Only way to make mega profits here these days is to:

1) Make something never seen before which is higher quality than the majority of topsellers
2) Already have a portfolio of top sellers to help with exposure to new files
3) Have large amounts of funding for your own advertising to boost sales.
4) Upload at the right time of the week, for optimal homepage exposure

1164 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Forum Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+2 more
tommusrhodus says

New theme approved at 1:30am as I’m heading to bed. New theme not on homepage when I get to my computer at 8am, at a maximum I was on the homepage for 6.5 hours after a 4 day review wait.

I’m sad to join in and say, but this system is broken now, and something needs to change.

1688 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

I think the best way would be to estimate the number of themes per day(let’s say there are 40 items approved in a day) and approve 2 each hour and not the way it is now(approve 30 themes within 2 hours and then don’t approve anything for 12 hours). Of course this is not the reviewers fault, it’s impossible to manage all this only by 2 reviewers. It would, of course, require more reviewers.

Obviously we can’t have the same exposure as we had months ago, but at least we’ll get almost the same exposure, all of us.

140 posts moutheme
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Europe
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+1 more
moutheme says

New theme approved at 1:30am as I’m heading to bed. New theme not on homepage when I get to my computer at 8am, at a maximum I was on the homepage for 6.5 hours after a 4 day review wait. I’m sad to join in and say, but this system is broken now, and something needs to change.

WOW! We have a new record… its so sad!

4493 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

The bottomline is: for this site to remain fair and competitive, homepage exposure should remain consistent – for example 7 days exposure minimum. That’s how it use to be a few years ago, otherwise if nothing changes, those who became authors earlier, will always have a huge advantage over any new author that joins in the future, and sets up a very non-competitive marketplace with stagnant, outdated content.

If Envato want’s to remain innovative – they need to make changes in 2014!

47 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
mustachethemes says

We have the same problem! We submit the item yesterday and today we are not in the Home Page.

47 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
mustachethemes says

It’s minimum hours agreed for the Home page?

by
by
by
by
by
by