• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

It’s minimum hours agreed for the Home page?

There is no agreed minimum.. it’s a lottery :)

307 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
brainbuzzmedia says

It’s minimum hours agreed for the Home page?
There is no agreed minimum.. it’s a lottery :)

Yes, it’s far too random. The best thing I can do to have a successful theme is to get it posted just right, as the last item added on a monday morning. It makes more of a difference than making the theme nicer.

1714 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

and it’s been more than 10 hours since the last item was updated while some authors went out in 5 hours. this is the problem, this is too much to handle for 2 reviewers only. I understood they’re hiring more, but the process can take weeks/months. :(

I don’t even want to imagine the christmas queue. :(

84 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
Coffee-Themes says

Joining to this thread just to say that i’m frustrated, my new theme get buried in ~5h… I worked on this theme long and hard.

Number of reviewers is problem without a doubt but bigger problem is that community start threads about this from quite a while and we don’t get any real answer from Envato.

So my question are: Can we expect any change in initial exposure of items? And if we can expect that to happen, is there any deadline?

136 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
ThemeShaper says

I cannot see how an author can possibly get enough sales in this period for the entire week to stand a chance of getting on the weekly top seller list.

It seems to be fairly pointless to bother releasing a WordPress item any more on TF. The situation currently is:

1)Items have become so bloated, to compete you now must bundle at least the value of the theme with premium plugins. Add to this the insane amount of functionality you now need (themes are now appearing that are actually genuinely multiple themes in one), and you are looking at months and months and months of work, or a team of people to even stand a chance. And that chance is now ridiculously slim because..

2)Insanely short window of time with exposure. Somehow you have to make something like >40 or 50 sales in the first few hours in order to stand a chance to recoup your time investment.

How can anyone possibly take on the risk to do 1) with the situation in 2)? – its insane, even for established top sellers. Feature bloat is inevitable, and understandable, but TF must provide authors with a reasonable chance to recoup their time.

I know there was a thread a while back saying that ThemeForest was going to stop authors buying their own items, but did this really happen? (a system implemented to make sure they aren’t being bought using proxies, checking different accounts for the same payment details, looking for unusually clustered buying timings etc?). Certain authors seem to be able to magically generate the necessary sales consistently (as well as prevent their items dropping from the top seller list).

For the thread to have been made by TF, presumably a number of authors were found to be doing this? out of interest could Envato confirm any authors were actually caught and punished? (because if they were, the punishments for blatantly gaming the system were pretty weak if no items were even removed)

I wouldn’t even blame an author for doing this with the current situation (and perhaps I am entirely wrong, I just expect the worst in people when vast sums of time and money are at stake ;))

Regardless of this, it is obvious that this amount of exposure on the homepage will put authors off trying if they even remotely value their own time. The risk / reward chance is now too absurd.

11 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
mcc_ says

If I see 2 themes I like, one on homepage and one on the second page I go for the homepage one since is most new and more up to date.

5388 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

Got to agree that something has to be done here – worked on my Holiday email and within hours I’m halfway down the second full page of new items. Jonathan

This is something I brought up months and months ago. Specifically on CC

Theres a guy who releases ecommerce payment gateways. But he doesnt get one approved at a time, he gets like 12 of them approved all in succession. Pushing a whole slew of authors off the front page

Thus, he totally gets a foothold of new items page. CC answer is, as always ambivalence

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

Got to agree that something has to be done here – worked on my Holiday email and within hours I’m halfway down the second full page of new items. Jonathan

This is something I brought up months and months ago. Specifically on CC

Theres a guy who releases ecommerce payment gateways. But he doesnt get one approved at a time, he gets like 12 of them approved all in succession. Pushing a whole slew of authors off the front page

Thus, he totally gets a foothold of new items page. CC answer is, as always ambivalence

How does this happen – they changed it years ago that only 1 product from a single author will show regardless of how many submitted… i.e. if I release 2 products, only 1 will show on homepage to stop this kind of thing happening – if this isn’t the case then something changed or broke, or maybe that’s TF only.

1363 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Slovenia
Anps says

I cannot see how an author can possibly get enough sales in this period for the entire week to stand a chance of getting on the weekly top seller list.

It seems to be fairly pointless to bother releasing a WordPress item any more on TF. The situation currently is:

1)Items have become so bloated, to compete you now must bundle at least the value of the theme with premium plugins. Add to this the insane amount of functionality you now need (themes are now appearing that are actually genuinely multiple themes in one), and you are looking at months and months and months of work, or a team of people to even stand a chance. And that chance is now ridiculously slim because..

2)Insanely short window of time with exposure. Somehow you have to make something like >40 or 50 sales in the first few hours in order to stand a chance to recoup your time investment.

How can anyone possibly take on the risk to do 1) with the situation in 2)? – its insane, even for established top sellers. Feature bloat is inevitable, and understandable, but TF must provide authors with a reasonable chance to recoup their time.

I know there was a thread a while back saying that ThemeForest was going to stop authors buying their own items, but did this really happen? (a system implemented to make sure they aren’t being bought using proxies, checking different accounts for the same payment details, looking for unusually clustered buying timings etc?). Certain authors seem to be able to magically generate the necessary sales consistently (as well as prevent their items dropping from the top seller list).

For the thread to have been made by TF, presumably a number of authors were found to be doing this? out of interest could Envato confirm any authors were actually caught and punished? (because if they were, the punishments for blatantly gaming the system were pretty weak if no items were even removed)

I wouldn’t even blame an author for doing this with the current situation (and perhaps I am entirely wrong, I just expect the worst in people when vast sums of time and money are at stake ;))

Regardless of this, it is obvious that this amount of exposure on the homepage will put authors off trying if they even remotely value their own time. The risk / reward chance is now too absurd.

Great post! Tough I do not totally agree on self buying… But I remember just one year back we aimed to get approved on Monday on an good hour to be on the first page till Friday. Now that is just a fade memory :) And yes I predicted that a year ago that pumped up themes will sell, but what can you do?

What is the solution?

Maybe remove all together most popular sections, remove sales count, improve on search… or maybe not, every now and then a theme comes out that starts getting those great sales and gets on the top is that a chance? Or a well made theme?

In the end themeforest is becoming like all other markets eventually becomes over crowded, and to succeed you will need to invest time which is money to get some were, its the same with mobile apps. The risk is bigger and bigger.

For those lucky few it will be a business, for the rest a little side earning to have the money for a party or yearly vacation.

Its a mind blowing problem, which actually does not have a solution either you weather it out and hit that point that you need or you move to something else.

Its really a sad story, which envato does not want to give any attention to and you have to ask your self if you were them would you?...

by
by
by
by
by
by