• Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
+2 more
OneManBand says

I am starting a model for the 3DPrint category, but I was wondering how this really works. I mean, when a buyer buys a item from this category…how does it go on from there?

• Does the buyer get a download of the .zip and then it’s up to him to go to a 3DPrinting website and upload it there?
  • Or does Envato actually print the object and send it inside a nice packaging all the way to the buyer’s home?

Either way, it would be nice to know if there is any kind of restrictions about the kind of objects, materials, textures, etc this technology can handle. For example, “details smaller than 1mm won’t be printed out”, etc. I mention this because I’ve seen other sites doing 3DPrinting and they have a good list of things like this.

We, as authors, need to know what restrictions are applied to this, because otherwise we’ll end up making 3D models not suitable for printing.

Of course I’ve read the upload instructions for this category (triangulate, single mesh, no holes…), but I still have these doubts.

Thanks!

443 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
vibes35 Reviewer says

Hi- Here is a previous post that may answer some of those questions:

http://3docean.net/forums/thread/3d-printing-info-/19643

And yes it is up to the buyer to submit the model to a 3d print company. I know that many companies use various methods, materials etc. but that the process is much the same across the board.

I think if you do stick to the generals you will be fine!

477 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Senior Reviewer
MatthiasAndre Reviewer says

Yes what vibes35 said is correct. The buyer is free to decide where to print the model.

I am currently talking to a printing company about possible assistance in checking if author models are suitability for print. In the mean time I can say that most printers accept .obj files, some even .ztl but all of them can work with .stl.

A good practice is to triangulate your model, then export it to .obj format from your 3d application of choice, import it to MeshLab http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/ check for holes there, close them and then export your .stl and you should be good to go!

49 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+1 more
BITGEM says

I am working on a print model as well. Got feedback and a quote from a 3D printer already. Will upload the model soon with all the details!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4928183/Aleysha_Ztool.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4928183/Aleysha_Ztool2.jpg

These are old screenshots btw. I did fix the hair, the lashes and brows and the bikini up a bit because they were too thin. Now it is printable though. I used zbrush, then combined all subtools with subtool master, ran decimation master over the model, exported to .obj and used MeshLab to convert it to .stl

477 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Senior Reviewer

This is a pretty good guide on how to make sure a model is printable http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/fixing-non-manifold-models

222 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
OneManBand says

I’ve finished my model and Shapeways tells me that everything is ok & printable!

I’ve just ordered it for myself :) If everything turns to be ok, I’ll upload it here and try to provide some feedback on this matter as well!

477 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Senior Reviewer
I’ve finished my model and Shapeways tells me that everything is ok & printable! I’ve just ordered it for myself :) If everything turns to be ok, I’ll upload it here and try to provide some feedback on this matter as well!

Great! That would be awesome! :)

222 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
OneManBand says

My model has entered production! :) If everything goes well, I’ll get it in about 10 days. I’ll keep you updated!

477 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Senior Reviewer

Can’t wait to see it! :)

222 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
OneManBand says
Can’t wait to see it! :)

Well you can see it (as a render, for now):

The real print version I’ve ordered is not full color because of technical reasons (full color printing requires thicker walls in your model). Instead, it’s just pure white.

As soon as I get the real one, I’ll make a photo and upload it here too :)

by
by
by
by
by
by