16 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
ThemeClever says

Sorry if this has been asked but I could not find a satisfactory answer and in light of the new/impending rules TT rules I thought I better get clarification.

I am about to create my first theme for sale on Themeforest but it will include some custom charts (made is css) that I was going to control through entering the data into a simple custom post field. However, in light of the recent announcement that any “non standard” Wordpress features need to be included in a separate plugin I am wondering if it might just be best to use a 3rd party plugin for this feature instead. If it is a free plugin, can I effectively “require” it in my theme? Can I distribute it with my theme? (I’m guessing not but checking anyway). But, in a nutshell is it OK for me to have in my help files that in order for a major feature of my theme to work that the buyer has to download a free plugin? Seems kinda cheap thing to do! I can create my own basic plugin I suppose but since I have to use one anyway it makes sense from a competency/end-value point of view to use a third party one with more features and instead invest my time accommodating these extra features into my theme.

Any advice for a newbie?

1792 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

I wouldn’t worry about it for now, you still have 8 weeks till the new rules are live..And they still have a lot to clarify, nothing’s clear for now.

16 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
ThemeClever says

And your subtext is “Don’t worry be happy” I like your style. Can you call me each morning to give me a pep talk?

by
by
by
by
by
by